VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

What If You Can Not Get Use To Cpap Machine

Rate this question

adkins7b

Question

I was wondering if anyone knew, what happens if you have sleep apnea but can not sleep using the cpap. I don't think the VA can lower you're rate or take it away, I actually think they should increase it because you can not get what you need to be fully rested. Always any feed back is appreciated.

Of course, I definitely want to if I could just sleep through the whole night with it on :) Do you think the VA would give me another shot, perhaps help me find a better fitting mask/pillow when I see them for my first appointment (and just explain the recent gap in use?)

Tell them the truth the mask is probably not a good fit the VAMC should have a catalog for you to check through. I went to private retailer after first mask

Even with the water reservoir, I still get dry mouth. Worst part is having TMJ and wearing the mask.

For those that have issues with dry mouth. Try Biotene Gel. It don't taste that great, but it works great. Biotene has a whole line of stuff for dry mouth but the gel lasts the longest throughout the night.

I use an APAP with the Respironics TotalFace mask. My septum is crushed and I can't breath through my nose, so being a mouth breather full time meant finding a solution to dry mouth was pretty important.

There is also the TAP-3 device, you need a dentist to make it (I believe the VAMC can do this) if yours is obstructive it might help.

I'm currently using the nasal pillows with some success but really can't stand the thing. Is anyone using, or have used, the TAP-3 or something similar? I'm wondering what they're like and if it'd be more comfy than the CPAP face mask, hose, etc.

Hello everyone! New poster, first post. 20 year retired Army Major.

Backstory: I have a claim in now for SA and various other issues. Claim been in for the last two years.

As to my CPAP, I hated it when I first got it. Couldn't sleep with the first mask they gave me. Went back after two months and only had 16 hours on it. They gave me a new mask that seals better and last night was the first night I actually slept with it on.

Just recently got a "preparation for decision" on my claim, hope to have a rating soon!

• HadIt.com Elder

The Inspire system offers some hope to those who cannot stand cpap. I had the operation and the Inspire implants. I think it helps. I still feel pretty bad in the mornings. I know my heartbeat drops into 40's at night. I have low heart rate since I was young. I am not an athlete so I just have very low heart rate. This got those doing sleep study alarmed. What worries me is low oxygen saturation levels.

John

Hello and good morning!

I don't "love" my CPAP, but I sure do appreciate it!!! I have been using mine since Feb '14. My wife "loves" it, tho, since I no longer snore like a "Harley" anymore. I had a sleep study done by my private insurance, and discovered that my pulse ox was dropping into the low 70s! I had my first "apnea" within 2 minutes of falling asleep during the sleep study. I had over 100 in the first 2 hours of the study. Apparently SA prevents REM sleep, too. Which medical science has shown to be most important to a good night's sleep. I am DX'd at 11 for my psi(?) on my device. I have the pillow soft nose piece. I wake up many times a night because it comes loose, but I can't have it tight cuz it pushes into my face and somehow closes my nasal passages??? So I like it a little loose. I don't fall asleep standing up anymore, but don't feel like "wow I slept great" either.

As a side note, a coworker's father died of SA, last fall, while at deer camp. He didn't think he needed his cpap for just a few days. They found him 2 days later, asleep in a lawnchair in front of the fireplace. Apparantly he was tired from the day, and the heat of the fire caused him to get drowsy. His head drooped down and that was all she wrote.

Anyway, what is the best way to get this SC'd? I had trouble sleeping while on AD, used to drink every night just to fall asleep. I know it's mentioned once or twice in my SMR. Any suggestions would be well received.