Ask Your VA Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 
Read VA Disability Claims Articles
Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• tbirds-va-claims-struggle (1).png

• 01-2024-stay-online-donate-banner.png

Radiculopathy...

Rate this topic

Will the VA pain management or neurologist Doctors, state that a person may need a Spinal Cord Stimulator or neuro stimulator. Just a thought, my husband had failed back surgery, nerve pain, etc. The spinal cord stimulator has helped him come off most of the drugs for his pain. It was a workers comp. injury and they paid for the surgery. Multiple ESI's, facet joint blocks, rhizotomy did not have any long lasting effect. For the SCS to work well, you really shouldn't be overweight. Just a thought, you might want to ask your doctors.

• HadIt.com Elder

I would sure get a second opinion about anything serious the VA tells me is wrong with me. Do you have medicare? Get Obamacare if you have to and get second opinions for this stuff. You can pick three orthopods, neurologists and neurosurgeons and they will all probably have different opinions and treatments. Pick the one that is most conservative and is older and established with no boat payments or ex-wives. I went to two highly regarded doctors for my neck. One said I need an operation and the other said I did not need one by any means. What can I say?

Here just under two weeks I am getting the radio frequency ablation done. After all the steroid shots, normal placed, bilateral, facet block injections, it is time to be more aggressive on the treatment. All this is utilizing my private insurance. It has taken me 4 months just to get an appointment with the pain management clinic through the VA. I get to see them in five days. Hopefully they won't state something that will set me off, like oh I think you have a some back problems. :angry: But alas I am not going to blow my top until it is necessary and then probably not, how does that saying go. You get more flies with honey than you do vinegar. Something like that.

Mr. A

:ph34r: " FIGHT TILL YOUR LAST BREATH " :ph34r:

• HadIt.com Elder

Since I have severe sleep apnea my private doctor prescribed adderal for me. It is speed, but I take small dose and I don't feel as much pain and I can stay awake. I know the VA is going to complain about this but it is a legal script and not used for pain, but just so I can stay awake during the day.

• 1 month later...

VA pain management decided to put me on Lyrica (pregabalin) I am willing to try this and see if works. Haven't seen the VA neurologist yet just the nurse practioner. So far being on Gabapentin didn't do much for me. From the private insurance side the Radiofrequency has had some mixed results. It is still a little early but so far it has increased the radicular pain down my left leg. I can really tell when I sit down for 30 minutes or so. They did the L1-L2-L3 roots. I guess I am going to have to get shots again and maybe try the ablation at a higher and lower level. Hopefully here soon I can get an opinion from the neurologist at the VA. But from what I have experience so far its difficult to get seen by an actual neuro. :unsure:

Mr. A

So far the Lyrica seems to be helping.The pain down my leg is still there but seems to be less severe at times. Don't know if I am completely convinced but it is a 30day trial. I think it would take longer to actually see a difference. When it gets bad I use the ice and stim and take the methocarbanol. It helps. Although a bit painful I still do the stretches, at least as best I can. I have to say the pain and numbness that goes on is sometimes confusing. I sometimes wish it was just one or the other not both, however, I still wish and much prefer none at all.

Mr. A

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Tell a friend

Love HadIt.com’s VA Disability Community Vets helping Vets since 1997? Tell a friend!
  • Recent Achievements

• spazbototto earned a badge
      Week One Done
    • Paul Gretza earned a badge
      Week One Done
    • Troy Spurlock went up a rank
      Community Regular
    • KMac1181 earned a badge
      Week One Done
    • jERRYMCK earned a badge
      Week One Done
  • Our picks

• These decisions have made a big impact on how VA disability claims are handled, giving veterans more chances to get benefits and clearing up important issues.

Service Connection

Frost v. Shulkin (2017)
      This case established that for secondary service connection claims, the primary service-connected disability does not need to be service-connected or diagnosed at the time the secondary condition is incurred 1. This allows veterans to potentially receive secondary service connection for conditions that developed before their primary condition was officially service-connected. 

Saunders v. Wilkie (2018)
      The Federal Circuit ruled that pain alone, without an accompanying diagnosed condition, can constitute a disability for VA compensation purposes if it results in functional impairment 1. This overturned previous precedent that required an underlying pathology for pain to be considered a disability.

Effective Dates

Martinez v. McDonough (2023)
      This case dealt with the denial of an earlier effective date for a total disability rating based on individual unemployability (TDIU) 2. It addressed issues around the validity of appeal withdrawals and the consideration of cognitive impairment in such decisions.

Rating Issues

Continue Reading on HadIt.com
      • 0 replies
    • I met with a VSO today at my VA Hospital who was very knowledgeable and very helpful.  We decided I should submit a few new claims which we did.  He told me that he didn't need copies of my military records that showed my sick call notations related to any of the claims.  He said that the VA now has entire military medical record on file and would find the record(s) in their own file.  It seemed odd to me as my service dates back to  1981 and spans 34 years through my retirement in 2015.  It sure seemed to make more sense for me to give him copies of my military medical record pages that document the injuries as I'd already had them with me.  He didn't want my copies.  Anyone have any information on this.  Much thanks in advance.  
      • 4 replies
    • Caluza Triangle defines what is necessary for service connection
      Caluza Triangle – Caluza vs Brown defined what is necessary for service connection. See COVA– CALUZA V. BROWN–TOTAL RECALL

This has to be MEDICALLY Documented in your records:

Current Diagnosis.   (No diagnosis, no Service Connection.)

In-Service Event or Aggravation.
      Nexus (link- cause and effect- connection) or Doctor’s Statement close to: “The Veteran’s (current diagnosis) is at least as likely due to x Event in military service”
      • 0 replies
    • Do the sct codes help or hurt my disability rating 
    • VA has gotten away with (mis) interpreting their  ambigious, , vague regulations, then enforcing them willy nilly never in Veterans favor.  

They justify all this to congress by calling themselves a "pro claimant Veteran friendly organization" who grants the benefit of the doubt to Veterans.  

This is not true, 

Proof:  

About 80-90 percent of Veterans are initially denied by VA, pushing us into a massive backlog of appeals, or worse, sending impoverished Veterans "to the homeless streets" because  when they cant work, they can not keep their home.  I was one of those Veterans who they denied for a bogus reason:  "Its been too long since military service".  This is bogus because its not one of the criteria for service connection, but simply made up by VA.  And, I was a homeless Vet, albeit a short time,  mostly due to the kindness of strangers and friends. 

Hadit would not be necessary if, indeed, VA gave Veterans the benefit of the doubt, and processed our claims efficiently and paid us promptly.  The VA is broken. 

A huge percentage (nearly 100 percent) of Veterans who do get 100 percent, do so only after lengthy appeals.  I have answered questions for thousands of Veterans, and can only name ONE person who got their benefits correct on the first Regional Office decision.  All of the rest of us pretty much had lengthy frustrating appeals, mostly having to appeal multiple multiple times like I did. 

I wish I know how VA gets away with lying to congress about how "VA is a claimant friendly system, where the Veteran is given the benefit of the doubt".   Then how come so many Veterans are homeless, and how come 22 Veterans take their life each day?  Va likes to blame the Veterans, not their system.   

Important Information

Guidelines and Terms of Use