Read VA Disability Claims Articles
Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• tbirds-va-claims-struggle (1).png

• 01-2024-stay-online-donate-banner.png

Just A General Question About Using Va Health

Rate this question

confusion99%

Question

I have never used VA health for anything except once for getting hearing aids. I was also placed in a very low catagory since I only had a 10% rating at the time.

I have since been increased to 80% due to IHD and DM2....I also have some further pending claims and one for TDIU. I am happy with my present Doctors. My outside care is also free due to having Medicare and Tricare for life so there is no financial consideration. I do not like dealing with the VA for anything that is not absolutely necessary. My question is.......should I start seeing the VA for my medical issues of IHD, DM2 and Neuropathy which is the basis for my TDIU claim? Do they hold it against you if you prefer other care??? Here in San Antonio, the VA is a nightmare, extremely overloaded with Vets as it is. They treat you more like herding animals and seem to resent you even being in the bldg. So why should I subject myself to that unless there is some major benefit for my open claims. Appreciate any opinions concerning this.

It's Hell to get old...things hurt, things quit working, BUT, it sure beats the alternative.

Let them be upset! You need to keep yourself alive for as long as you can!

I have VAHC and medicare. I use medicare for most of my stuff and pay out of pocket. I do use the VA for pills and some things like audiology and I have a PCP. But do not use them for my heart!

You are in good shape so don't worry about using them at all.

Stillhere

If you are happy with the care you are receiving on the outside and your insurance package is going to continue to pay for it (despite all the rumblings over changes to TFL), I'd stick with the doctors you have. You may not find the same quality of care within the VA for the reasons you described.

However, I would maintain that foot in the door like you have to keep up with your hearing aids. Be sure that your outside providers are sharing records with your VA PCP and that should provide any coverage in case the VA were to come back later and ask if you really are receiving care for those conditions as a test to see if they are legitimate.

This is the approach I've taken - I let the VA treat my hearing loss, eye glasses needs, and one very small condition to maintain a relationship, get the care TRICARE doesn't pay for, and keep information flowing into the VA. You are not required to seek care from the VA for any condition, service connected or not, with the possible exception of PSTD. At least, at present we service connected vets are not stovepiped into the VA Healthcare System with that exception as far as I know. So long as they get the information they need and you get the care you need, there should not be a problem. My fear is that at some point there will be a push to move all of us under the VA Healthcare System for all our care, really as a cost savings measure, but under the excuse that only the VA can provide the right kind of care for veterans' service connected disabilities.

Wow that is a hard concept for me to accept. In my dealings my experiences with the VA healthcare system haven't been the best since I hit disabled veteran status. The care is nothing compared to the care I got from the VA when I was active duty and even when I was active guard. I guess there lies the difference. I think that is good advice above. I use them for my meds and keep them updated with my care from my private docs. But there is a definite difference in the quality of care and the efficiency of care. That's just my opinion though and it's based off my own experiences.

Mr. A

:ph34r: " FIGHT TILL YOUR LAST BREATH " :ph34r:

• HadIt.com Elder

I get good medical care from VA and yet it a procedure involves surgery I am going to get it outside of VA.

Veterans deserve real choice for their health care.

Thanks to all so far for the advice. I guess my concern was more with them having info on my care. I didn't think about having my present docs keep the VA in the loop as far as info is concerned.

Yea, if they mess up TFL that will make a big difference, but right now they cover everything medicare doesn't cover so it makes everything free. I get all my Meds at a militlary base Pharm, so no cost there either. I will make it a point to go to VA though and get my status changed to reflect my new percentage and get my category changed.

Thanks for the feedback.

It's Hell to get old...things hurt, things quit working, BUT, it sure beats the alternative.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Tell a friend

Love HadIt.com’s VA Disability Community Vets helping Vets since 1997? Tell a friend!
  • Recent Achievements

• Ronald beecher went up a rank
      Rookie
    • Tim Walsh earned a badge
      First Post
    • Tim Walsh earned a badge
      Conversation Starter
    • BirddogM578 earned a badge
      Week One Done
    • BirddogM578 earned a badge
      One Month Later
  • Our picks

• Caluza Triangle defines what is necessary for service connection
      Caluza Triangle – Caluza vs Brown defined what is necessary for service connection. See COVA– CALUZA V. BROWN–TOTAL RECALL

This has to be MEDICALLY Documented in your records:

Current Diagnosis.   (No diagnosis, no Service Connection.)

In-Service Event or Aggravation.
      Nexus (link- cause and effect- connection) or Doctor’s Statement close to: “The Veteran’s (current diagnosis) is at least as likely due to x Event in military service”
      • 0 replies
    • Do the sct codes help or hurt my disability rating 
    • VA has gotten away with (mis) interpreting their  ambigious, , vague regulations, then enforcing them willy nilly never in Veterans favor.  

They justify all this to congress by calling themselves a "pro claimant Veteran friendly organization" who grants the benefit of the doubt to Veterans.  

This is not true, 

Proof:  

About 80-90 percent of Veterans are initially denied by VA, pushing us into a massive backlog of appeals, or worse, sending impoverished Veterans "to the homeless streets" because  when they cant work, they can not keep their home.  I was one of those Veterans who they denied for a bogus reason:  "Its been too long since military service".  This is bogus because its not one of the criteria for service connection, but simply made up by VA.  And, I was a homeless Vet, albeit a short time,  mostly due to the kindness of strangers and friends. 

Hadit would not be necessary if, indeed, VA gave Veterans the benefit of the doubt, and processed our claims efficiently and paid us promptly.  The VA is broken. 

A huge percentage (nearly 100 percent) of Veterans who do get 100 percent, do so only after lengthy appeals.  I have answered questions for thousands of Veterans, and can only name ONE person who got their benefits correct on the first Regional Office decision.  All of the rest of us pretty much had lengthy frustrating appeals, mostly having to appeal multiple multiple times like I did. 

I wish I know how VA gets away with lying to congress about how "VA is a claimant friendly system, where the Veteran is given the benefit of the doubt".   Then how come so many Veterans are homeless, and how come 22 Veterans take their life each day?  Va likes to blame the Veterans, not their system.   
    • Welcome to hadit!  

There are certain rules about community care reimbursement, and I have no idea if you met them or not.  Try reading this:

https://www.va.gov/resources/getting-emergency-care-at-non-va-facilities/

However, (and I have no idea of knowing whether or not you would likely succeed) Im unsure of why you seem to be so adamant against getting an increase in disability compensation.  

When I buy stuff, say at Kroger, or pay bills, I have never had anyone say, "Wait!  Is this money from disability compensation, or did you earn it working at a regular job?"  Not once.  Thus, if you did get an increase, likely you would have no trouble paying this with the increase compensation.  

However, there are many false rumors out there that suggest if you apply for an increase, the VA will reduce your benefits instead.  

That rumor is false but I do hear people tell Veterans that a lot.  There are strict rules VA has to reduce you and, NOT ONE of those rules have anything to do with applying for an increase.  

Yes, the VA can reduce your benefits, but generally only when your condition has "actually improved" under ordinary conditions of life.  

Unless you contacted the VA within 72 hours of your medical treatment, you may not be eligible for reimbursement, or at least that is how I read the link, I posted above. Here are SOME of the rules the VA must comply with in order to reduce your compensation benefits:

https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/38/3.344

• Good question.   

Maybe I can clear it up.  

The spouse is eligible for DIC if you die of a SC condition OR any condition if you are P and T for 10 years or more.  (my paraphrase).  

More here:

Source:

https://www.va.gov/disability/dependency-indemnity-compensation/

NOTE:   TO PROVE CAUSE OF DEATH WILL LIKELY REQUIRE AN AUTOPSY.  This means if you die of a SC condtion, your spouse would need to do an autopsy to prove cause of death to be from a SC condtiond.    If you were P and T for 10 full years, then the cause of death may not matter so much. 

Important Information

Guidelines and Terms of Use