VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Unepectedly Received ~800 Pages Of Documents From My File

Rate this question

just a guy

Question

Hi,

This is weird and I'm not sure what to make of it, or even where to post this.

I had a DRO review in June 2013 in Roanoke, VA. I am pending a BVA board. Date TBD. No # yet.

I received an enormous package addressed to me via US mail from the Roanoke office. This package includes about 800 pages of documents relating to my claims.

Many of them have receipt stamps on the front or back from the receiving VA office. Some have the two holes at the top as though they were in some VA c-file. They appear to be originals and not photocopies.

What am I to do with this, and what if anything does it mean?

Was this some kind of VA internal mistake and they were not supposed to go to me?

As usual, no one at Roanoke will answer my calls or emails.

Thanks,

j-a-g

• Answers 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Posted Images

I sure hope it wasn't what they were supposed to transfer to the BVA.......

Did you make a C file request at some point????

Still... My C file was full of copies as I recall and one original document at the bottom that, for 8-9 years they had told me had 'never existed'.

Was there a I-8 form near the top of the stack?

They fill out an I-8 prior to BVA transfer and also there might be a 646 there too..if so that would sure concern me if these 2 forms were originals....

You could ask them via IRIS why they sent these originals to you.....this sounds like what they usually send to the BVA.Everything they have.

"What am I to do with this, and what if anything does it mean?"

It might be a screw up .

Personally if I got something like this I would go over every single thing carefully 800 pages....a lot for just a C file, ...does it include med recs and SMRs too?

and then I would copy and keep copies of anything I found to be relevant to my claim.

If in fact you find out that this should have gone to the BVA, maybe best to contact the BVA ombudsman (their email addy is here under search) and send it to them yourself, if they agree to that.

Hope this gets straightened out soon.

• HadIt.com Elder

It sounds like an error. First I'd keep everything in order and then I'd make copies, for myself, at Office Depot/Staples or some copy place. Then I'd contact the VARO, in writing, that sent them and ask what to do. Remember "if it can't be read, it wasn't said." jmo

pr

I would get with your VSO and send the information back.

Make copies first because there seems to be a mix up somewhere.

"NEVER GIVE UP'

J A G: You said DRO Review 06/13, not a DRO Personal Hearing, right. Did either you or your VSO file a FOIA claim for a complete copy of your C-File? I requested my C-File 09/12 and finally received it via UPS mid 01/2014. Package was about 8+ inches thick. I think that's about 1500 or so pages. It wasn't the complete file, only had documents thru end of 2012. All 2013 was missing. If you or your VSO had filed for it, there would have been an FOIA Claim listed on your E-Ben site.

I wouldn't just send it back to VARO that sent it, you probably have 2+ yrs ahead before a BVA Court Hearing. Did you opt for a Traveling Judge? Are the 800 pages in any semblance of order? I'd consider Scanning rather than printing everything, trees are screaming all over the world.

What does your VSO that handled your DRO Review say?

Semper Fi

Gastone

Without more information, it is impossible to know for sure. However, I suspect that since the VA is scanning C-files into digital formal, the actual paper files have to go somewhere. This has worried me a great deal, because the VA is going to have to do something with all the redundant paper files once a veteran's C-file is completely digitized. I have asked everyone I can think of what is going to happen to all of that paper; no one has been able to give me a dependable answer. If the plan is to scan and shred, then we all better be in full out panic mode. There are a lot of skeletons (pun intended) in those paper files. I don't believe I'm being paranoid by thinking that this would provide the VA a fantastic opportunity to coverup past errors by scanning only the "good documents" and then shred everything. How would any of us really know for certain that our "virtual C-files" would be complete when the actual documents no longer exist? My own C-file copy had numerous papes with only the front copied even with notations to see the back side. Two-sided documents used to be quite common.

Maybe the plan is to digitize the files and return the originals to us. I sure hope so!