Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Concerend Question?

Rate this question

Buck52

Question

• HadIt.com Elder

I fell in the shower last week...my arm started to swell up at the elbow down to my hand,,it was painful but I didn't think I broke anything  so wife wanted me to go to VA get it checked...I did they x ray it  nothing was broke but said I has cutlive bone spurs in my elbow caused by blunt truma to the elbow  which I hit my elbow on  the soap caddy hanging on the shower head.

ok they sent me home wrap up in a bandages  and said to take  800 Ibprophen mg for inflammation and swelling of the joints.

and to come back in a week if not better..its not better  but a week will be this Tuesday.

Here is my question, I was looking at my healthyvet notes last night and the RN I seen for this had put down he  ask me if I had any of these symptoms he I  said no to all these question's.

Do you have trouble sleeping...no....which I do I use a VA C-Pap...OSA

Does your urine smell bad no...which it does   having prostate problems with a swelled prostate  take meds for it

Do you  get dizzy at times...no...>which I do at times

Do you have problems thinking/concentrating  remembering things no.....>which I do a lot

Do you have night mares  no...>which I do due to flashbacks cause by PTSD dx by VA

Do you have thoughts of suicide  no...,>which I have many times

and about 4 0r 5 more questions related to MH type questions

He never ask me any of those questions and now its in my VA Notes.

I thought something was ''fishy''about that because they all know I have a claim in for PTSD.

This RN is my PCP Nurse....but however my PCP mention to me she has nothing to do with my MH Dr's  she said they  do my MH & PTSD and prescribe my meds for it.

All he did was a Temp & BP Test & oximeter on my finger.  wrapped my elbow with bandages.

No questions was ask other wise.

This pisses me off because I have a new claim in for PTSD(gathering evidence phase)  And I never was ask any of these questions  he only ask me about my arm and what happen   had me to go get it X-RAY..&  He wrap my elbow told me to take the ibuprofen &come back within a week if not better.

I Probably will have to go back up there and see him Tuesday  should I take copies of his notes and show him and ask why he lied like that? or just go straight to the Hospital Director?

............Thanks 

.........................................Buck

Edited by Buck52

This is some scary stuff for sure, Buck...! I as yourself discovered this tactic the VA is now employing, after reviewing my PC visits records I noticed all these fabricated replies to questions that were never asked to me from an individual I've never met, answers which could swing an uneducated raters decision for the claims that I'm ready to have decided, one of which is a future DRO hearing for my Hep C claim and the other's my PTSD claim remanded back to the RO from the BVA. I reviewed back some years and noticed that this has been going on for a while,  I pray that they're not fabricating evidence to rebut my claims. I did exactly as stated in Broncovet post after my 'bowing' out of the voluntary  HCV treament offered at BayPines after only 4.5 mths into treatment,  I had to for it was killing me. After reading the nurses discharge statement in my records, which were not my words but hers, I went through all the hoops stated in Broncovets post and was still denied...! It's as if ones in Vegas, trying their luck on rigged roulette tables or playing a hand of cards with a stacked deck, when one's dealing with the VA.

rwskitch

BINGO!  I have noted the very same falsification of VA medical encounters.  I started audio-recording my medical appointments as my short term memory fails me on occasion, HOWEVER, it quickly became evident that my PCPs do NOT like to be recorded and refused to accommodate my TBI disability RE memory.  I am on my 4th PCP in less than a year, trying to find a disability sensitive PCP who understands my disability.

That said, these PCPs are on the defensive, not wanting to be held accountable for what they do or enter into your VA Notes.  One PCP had me removed from my medical appointment by the local PD, and then filed an "anger reaction" against me with the VA.  I recorded the entire incident and that PCP's accusations are NOT there and prove him wrong on all accounts. DOUBLE BINGO! --- The SECOND reason to record all encounters, patient safety!

FWIW, I own three different generations of recorders dating back to the mid-eighties.  My current is a digital device smaller than my cell phone and records 40hr of audio.  Don't leave home without it!

• HadIt.com Elder

HMike, I thought that was a breach of privacy  to record your PCP? or License  Medical person's?

It's your word against there's I guess...how else could a veteran prove what is said?  other than record it!

Well I'm going back up thee tomorrow (tues) because my elbow is still swollen  looks like ''popeye elbow''& kinda sore

I don't know what they will do but it looks like to me it needs to be drained retaining lots of fluid ? it has not got any better in a week now.  The RN mention he will refer me to rehab? what is there to Rehab? I need my elbow fixed.

I will take copies of my VA Notes and ask him about it...he never ask me any of those questions and I'll ask him why he stated that in my Notes...if he says he didn't  I'll whip out those VA Notes and show him.

I don't think they will do anything about it  even if I take to the Hospital Director or one of  the Hospital advocates.

Just maybe it will let them Know I'm on top of the VA SCNANNAGINS 

Things are getting out of hand at my VAMC (Dallas Tx)  and an OIG should be done through out the entire Hospital...Their coveing there butts to much.

but as always no body will believe us veterans.

jmo

..........Buck

Edited by Buck52

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

Hey Buck,
Sorry to hear about your fall and I hope you heal up quickly. "Popeye elbow", I don't mean to laugh, but that is a pretty funny analogy. I had some swelling in my hand after surgery and told the doctor I thought it looked like a pack of hot dogs.

The NSAIDs they gave you will help with reducing the muscular swelling, but not necessarily fluid swelling. This might want to give you some type of antihistamine or something else for that. It took about two weeks for the swelling in my hand to be reabsorbed. I asked about draining the fluid, but they were worried it could lead to a secondary infection. Not sure what your doc will do in your case because everyone's situation is different.

Rehab might actually be helpful in your situation if it is done right. I had bone spurs in a joint over 10 years ago and spent some time doing physical therapy. The therapy team was not at the VA, but they were awesome. Of course, I had to do certain exercises on my own, but they helped do stretching, applied ice and a TENS unit. This concept behind it is to hopefully help the spurs wear down and also to strengthen the area to help speed up post-surgical recovery. I had therapy both before and after surgery.

Well, you have until next week to submit your request for record correction. After talking to them, be sure to also submit the request in writing, per Broncovet's advice. I had the exact same problem twice in one visit with both nurses and resident doctors answering questions they never asked me. It seems like they just copy and paste a preset template. In the case of the resident doctor, he said no on all of the template answers, but yes in his summary. I ended up having a record which contradicts itself.

Your idea about contacting the director or OIG might be a good one. I am considering doing the same at my VAMC because the problem has got out of hand.

I hope your visit goes well tomorrow.

• HadIt.com Elder

Thanks Vync

yeah pretty funny analogy...LOL  I look it it up on the internet and sure enough there is such a thing as ''Popeye Elbow''  Lol

I hate it the RN put that in my VA Notes, I will ask him about &  if he ''sluffs it off'' I'll go file a complaint or ask the Hospital Director what can be done...and ask for what broncovet mention....> I wrote those CFR's Down

38CFR 1.579 (A) 1 &2...I may put  bronco  post in pdf and copy those Regulations& take it with me tomorrow.

because most of what the RN put in my VA Notes is untruthful &  unsaid and I want it corrected.

I'm sure its just a template, however they need to be careful what they copy and pate to a veterans medical Notes that is not true or was not said during an any type of medical exam. C&P or other.

because later on it could come back and bite the veteran in the asspeallo..eh!

jmo

....................Buck

Edited by Buck52

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

Hey Buck,
I think the reasons behind why this happens is because they are pushed to not only flip (process) patients faster, but they keep being hounded by these periodic surveys, like "do you smoke?", "do you drink?", "do you do drugs?", "have you been in Africa recently (i.e. ebola)?", etc... I assume a lot of these surveys get data mined by the epidemiologists to track trends. Staff just gets in a rush and figure the faster they get the patients out, the quicker they can go on break. However, they may not realize that medical records are legal documents and it is against the law for them to do that. Will they get in trouble? Probably not for the first couple of times. They'll just get a slap on the wrist and told not to do it again.