Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Concerend Question?

Rate this question

Buck52

Question

• HadIt.com Elder

I fell in the shower last week...my arm started to swell up at the elbow down to my hand,,it was painful but I didn't think I broke anything  so wife wanted me to go to VA get it checked...I did they x ray it  nothing was broke but said I has cutlive bone spurs in my elbow caused by blunt truma to the elbow  which I hit my elbow on  the soap caddy hanging on the shower head.

ok they sent me home wrap up in a bandages  and said to take  800 Ibprophen mg for inflammation and swelling of the joints.

and to come back in a week if not better..its not better  but a week will be this Tuesday.

Here is my question, I was looking at my healthyvet notes last night and the RN I seen for this had put down he  ask me if I had any of these symptoms he I  said no to all these question's.

Do you have trouble sleeping...no....which I do I use a VA C-Pap...OSA

Does your urine smell bad no...which it does   having prostate problems with a swelled prostate  take meds for it

Do you  get dizzy at times...no...>which I do at times

Do you have problems thinking/concentrating  remembering things no.....>which I do a lot

Do you have night mares  no...>which I do due to flashbacks cause by PTSD dx by VA

Do you have thoughts of suicide  no...,>which I have many times

and about 4 0r 5 more questions related to MH type questions

He never ask me any of those questions and now its in my VA Notes.

I thought something was ''fishy''about that because they all know I have a claim in for PTSD.

This RN is my PCP Nurse....but however my PCP mention to me she has nothing to do with my MH Dr's  she said they  do my MH & PTSD and prescribe my meds for it.

All he did was a Temp & BP Test & oximeter on my finger.  wrapped my elbow with bandages.

No questions was ask other wise.

This pisses me off because I have a new claim in for PTSD(gathering evidence phase)  And I never was ask any of these questions  he only ask me about my arm and what happen   had me to go get it X-RAY..&  He wrap my elbow told me to take the ibuprofen &come back within a week if not better.

I Probably will have to go back up there and see him Tuesday  should I take copies of his notes and show him and ask why he lied like that? or just go straight to the Hospital Director?

............Thanks 

.........................................Buck

Edited by Buck52

Buck: Same thing happened to me mid 14 & early 15. Same PC intake nurse. Back in 14, the Dr made a note regarding my Secure Msg on MHV regarding the nurses erronious reporting regarding Sleep, Depression etc. 2015's same proble, this time Dr responded by indicating filing a VA Form???? to correct notes.

I now have a new policy regarding talking to VA Drs and nurses. At every contact, regardless as to their asking the MH questions, I cover each question and follow-up with the Dr discussing the previous  reporting errors. So far, no further problems, they know I'm watching.

Semper Fi

BINGO!  I have noted the very same falsification of VA medical encounters.  I started audio-recording my medical appointments as my short term memory fails me on occasion, HOWEVER, it quickly became evident that my PCPs do NOT like to be recorded and refused to accommodate my TBI disability RE memory.  I am on my 4th PCP in less than a year, trying to find a disability sensitive PCP who understands my disability.

That said, these PCPs are on the defensive, not wanting to be held accountable for what they do or enter into your VA Notes.  One PCP had me removed from my medical appointment by the local PD, and then filed an "anger reaction" against me with the VA.  I recorded the entire incident and that PCP's accusations are NOT there and prove him wrong on all accounts. DOUBLE BINGO! --- The SECOND reason to record all encounters, patient safety!

FWIW, I own three different generations of recorders dating back to the mid-eighties.  My current is a digital device smaller than my cell phone and records 40hr of audio.  Don't leave home without it!

Absolutely, HorizontalMike, I've had problems with my memory big time over the years. My memory issues are well documented thru out my VA medical records, ex: '...veteran has to record all of his in person interactions so that the veteran can recall latter on what has been said.' I've found out that it's frowned upon in the VA world here on Had it. I've thought all the legal requirements concerning recording conversations between 2 individuals were abolished after 911; previously one had to inform the other party that they were being recorded, depending on what state laws where in effect at that time the individuals were in and what I've since discovered concerning these requirements are sorta' 'wishy washy' when I've researched this subject. Point is see'n that it's documented thru out my records that I had to resort to recording all important in, 'person to person' encounters, for my memories sake due to my limitations in this area, is my 'arse' covered, so to speak. The lawyers employ the use of 'recorders' to document what's been said for the 'record' and while us Vets are being seen for our health care, the other side has the ability to keep their 'record' in their own words and we should as well,in the actual words that have been spoken. It makes me wonder if my visits have been previously recorded, both verbally and visually during my 15 min. appts...! Paranoid as I am concerning this topic when 'keywords' send up 'red flags' in the digital word nowadays, but in the physical realm pertaining to whats been/being said between my healthcare's and myself, on my well being, my conditions and mental health problems should be available for me, for my 'record,' whether I'm a stenographer taking down 'word for word' on paper or that I'm employing the use of my Olympus DS4-40 to make note, it really should not matter what mode of recording one employs...!

.............rwskitch

• HadIt.com Elder

Well I went to the clinic to get my elbow checked, not for claim purposes.

The only thing that was said was what the PCP mention to him on the computer of her impression of the x-Ray. and  he took my temp and BP...Vitals   ...and said to take the Ibprofen for it..I was there about 20 minutes and went  had the X-Ray went back and he wrapped it and said if its not better by next tues  to come back in and that was the extent of my visit.

Absoulately nothing was was mention as to what he put in my VA Medical Notes about ALL those MH Questions, only what the Dr had mention to him on the computer for her impression and describe what she thought was wrong with my arm..she never looked at me.

Every time a veteran goes to his VAMC rather or not for just 6 months check-ups or renew scripts or for something new  he better go get his medical records in about 3 or 4 days or print or look at them on MHV.

there's no telling what they may say about us veterans

its just a good reason they can deny claims if the wrong information is in the veterans Medical Notes.

They were ''informed'' that your disability's is not has bad as you claim and a proposal in Reduction will be sent or the evidence that is in your VA Medical notes suggest you denied all your contention.

now that's pretty bad when the veteran knows nothing as to what the hell there talking about.

jmo

.............Buck

• HadIt.com Elder

The only thing I notice is the Dr never signed off on this exam  only the RN did..so if the claims people say anything about it  I'll let them know  because in a medical exam evidence everything is supposed to be sign off by a qualified MD and they prefer their credentials.

There's Regs on that some where.

...........Buck

Right Buck, it's like everything's 'secret secret' when it comes  to whatever written into our report and we only find out what's what after going down to ROI and reading what's been entered, I absolutely agree w/your advice about visiting ROI for the latest, this shat makes me so the more depressed knowing that I'm fighting a battle with someone that's supposedly on my side...!

Hey Buck,

I had a situation similar to yours where I was being seen by the PCP RN, and a part of the pre-check. I noticed that as she was inputting data into the computer and answering questions that I did not answer. I quickly called her out on it asking, why she was answering those questions for me? Her response "it's more efficient if I just answer the questions that don't matter rather then ask you." I sat there in an "awe" moment like WTF.. was that seriously what her answer was!? I told her for the benefit of my records I would be more comfortable answering them myself, rather then her on my behalf. Naturally, she was annoyed because I cut into her texting time. As soon as I was done with her, and the doctor came in - I made it very clear to him that some of the responses from the RN check were not accurate and I wanted it reflected in my notes with the doctor. He was apprehensive at first, until I explained that some of those responses she gave were not accurate and if it was not reflected I would be taking the matter up higher. He then said his peace - about how it is important to have accurate information and made his necessary notes.

I was not done at that point - I went to the front desk to ask for the person who is responsible for running that clinic to address the issue. I was handed the general phone number to the hospital and said that I can get a hold of them there. Now, I am beyond pissed.

I have considered recording all my interactions at the VA - but like most people have said on this board.. it is a not highly suggested. What other avenue does a Veteran have in the "He said - She Said" game?

Eventually, we are going to begin seeing videos come out exposing the bad habits and destructive practices at the VA much like the secret planned parenthood hidden camera footage. It's only a matter of time - my suggestion would be that once the notes are input into the system - the veteran gets a chance to "sign" off on them. I know that might bog down on time but if it prevents shady business... I'm all for it.

- C