Read Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

va calucations

Rate this question

RUREADY

Question

A few years ago my twin bro filed for SSDI, as advised by the county VA rep.  He fought the VA for 10 years trying to get help for a slipped disc in his neck from a fall injury.  He relented, wrote the VA a letter saying he was giving up on his claim.  They responded to him that they were looking at something unrelated all those years.  VA then looked into his neck injury and took the right actions.

He had surgery at the Manhattan VA, where they nicked his spinal cord at the spot where the disc was pressing against it.  The resulting scar made his symptoms permanent. 

Sometime later he tripped over a doormat, at his work, and blew out his ankle.  He never even felt it...because of the numbness caused by the scar on his spinal cord.  It saved him from the pain of the ankle injury, but ended his career.  This was when he was told to file for IU, and the SSDI. 

He uses a cane most days, had to sell his beloved modified turbo Saab, because he could no longer feel the clutch pedal, or grip the shifter with enough force to shift.

Some of my family took offense to his going on SSDI, due to some comments he made about trying to get all he could.  Yep, shoulda just kept those thoughts to himself.  It just made him look bad.  None the less, his SCDs are more than enough to get him the IU and 100% and SSDI. 

Just because some Vets try to game the system, or make comments in that same idea, doesn't mean that they don't have the injuries to back up their claims.

I know I do.  I would have been, many years ago, but didn't know what I didn't know.  However, I never make any comment of any kind to give anyone the wrong idea. 

My Bro/Sis Vets, Hadit is basically A Vet FRIENDLY, source of information, education, regarding ALL Veterans Claims and Appeals.

FNGs to the VA C &P system, as we all were at one time, generally are "Blissfully Ignorant," when it comes to VA Claims and Appeals.

Recently discharged Vets may or may not be more informed regarding the VA C & P Benefits programs, but to a man, most Nam and older Vets start off with the VA, well behind the curve.

To those Vets that currently have an SC condition, did the VA come looking for you to file the claim, I don't think so.

Once the New claim is filed, the VA views it as though the Vet is requesting the maximum rating he is entitled to. The Vet owes himself and his immediate family, a duty to keep the VA Rating Dept apprised of any new DX's that may be rate-able as Primary or Secondary Issues. A Vet never knows when his Life'sExpiration Date is going to hit.

What effect does a Veteran dying from a SC condition as opposed to a non SC condition have regarding Survivor Benefits? If you know, great, if not; that's on you.

A Nam Vet friend, has been 90% IU for about 20 years, wheel chair bound. After a recent discussion, he agreed to file an FDC claim for SMC (S) House Bound and (R) Aid & Attendance. Does he deserve the additional Comp, absolutely, should have had it since he became wheel chair bound. Did the VA Rating Dept come looking for him, 100 IU, T&P well over 55 so no C&P Rating exams, this is his 1st contact for a new claim in over 15 yrs.

Do you know what the effect of the SMC Award for  S & R will have on his Wife's own A & A and Survivors Benefit? Again, if you do, that's great but how many Vets don't have a clue?

Semper Fi

• Founder

I don't see any problem with ruready's post. I did not take it as gaming the system he asked a question and it was answered. this forum is not the place to attack each other there are plenty of other places on the net to do that.

lets move on from this ruready asked his question, it was answered. 

any veteran who sincerely wants help with their claim or sincerely wants to help veterans with their claim are welcome here.

• HadIt.com Elder

RUREADY

I could be wrong in my above post  because here is why,

If a veteran has a 80% SC Rating and for the same disability  & the Veterans disability gets worse and files for an increase  and the findings from a medical Dr shows the disability has indeed increased over time..Then they rate it accordingly, if the disability as worsen 20%  then they will give that veteran a 100% rating for that disability...or they should or if the veteran can't work because of his SC disability  regardless of his 80%rating   they should infer him over to TDIU P&T*be paid at the 100%rate  this is VA Way of helping the veteran but not giving him a 100%stand alone rating.

Of course with the VA the veteran probably needs to ask for the TDIU P&T

jmo

..................Buck

• HadIt.com Elder

Hypothetically speaking of course, Perhaps a Veteran has a service connected rating of 80 percent. This means his rating falls between 74.5 and 84.4 percent. so we know that 80 from 100 is 20 so he is 20 percent sound. So inorder to get 100 out of a 20 percent rating one must look at each.

10 will only get you 2 percent

20 will only get you 4 percent

so you need 80 percent to get 16 or 96 percent.

Va math as well as many other things part of the VA are a complete crock of Bull.

J