VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

PTSD and Wife

Rate this question

Hoss

Question

I'm just curious if anyone else has had there "wife" call the VA and have your meds cancelled  based on her opinion that you are drinking too much?

I was finally put on a drug that provided some relief from my almost overwhelming anxiety and my constant irritability; it was actually working. I could carry on a conversation with most anyone and then the next thing I know my wife has called my psychologist who then called the psychiatrist who then discontinued my meds.

Just doesn't seem right...but I guess I'm crazy to begin with.  Funny...they are really going to see crazy now that I'm going to abruptly stop all meds!!!

Semper Fi

My wife and I have been happily married for 32 years.  I'm not saying we haven't had hard times (such as the loss of a child) but we remain committed to each other.  I can't imagine what my life would look like had she not been part of it.

I just wanted to provide a look from the other side.

Green

Green, Don't get me wrong, there are a lot of great women out there.  It just seems like the ones,  friends  acquintanances try to fix me up with are just miserable.  Everyone has their "ups and downs", but it just seems I see and meet very unhappy women.    Maybe it is just a phase or something, I don't know.   For me, happiness and kindness are the most important factors for me. 

"I'm just curious if anyone else has had there "wife" call the VA and have your meds cancelled  based on her opinion that you are drinking too much? "

I have been hesitant to reply to all of the above.

I am a PTSD veteran's surviving spouse.Yes we can get PTSD too.

There are things I have never revealed here about my husband's PTSD ( 100% P & T) The 9411 rating schedule reveals how that can be.

And he also had significant brain damage in 6-7 areas due to VA  malpractice.(FTCA/1151 awards 1997 and 2012)

He did not drink and was never put on any Meds for PTSD until this happened.

I had to call the VAMC to try to get my husband admitted one day.

He was waiting for the VA van to bring him home from day treatment and called me from the lobby screaming at me and telling me he was going to kill me  as soon as he got home ( he had weapons here).....his reason for that had no basis in reality.

I called his shrink, who refused to admit him, then I called the director who refused to admit him, and then I called my Congressman.

Rod was sitting on the main steps of the VA and they started to page him inside the hospital, and couldnt hear the page ,until the Director and by then both VA shrinks he was seeing came out and talked him into being admitted.

Only because Congressman Houghton called them immediately after I called him.

He spent about a week in the psychiatric ward there that they have since closed down.And not long after that he went to the 21 day inhouse program...which did help.

"Green, Don't get me wrong, there are a lot of great women out there"

That's right. And I am one of them but also I was severely victimized by my husband's PTSD.

I kind of feel I should not even be replying to this topic , I hold my husband's military service in Honor and he did positively affect my life in many ways,

but I didn't see any other PTSD wives reply.....and many of us have a voice that was silenced too many times already

by PTSD spouses.

Edited by Berta

Berta, 

Please never think for a second that you cant speak to something on here. Your knowledge is too vast, your experiences in dealing with the VA too broad, for you not to share with us plebes. And beyond that, Ms Berta, you do great honor to your husband's memory by sharing what you learned helping him.

You are the greatest asset on Tbird's wonderful creation, Hadit.com.  And your own personal experience with PTSD as a spouse of a Vet with severe PTSD, is priceless beyond compare. Though I can not even imagine a little of what you went through, you have my deepest respect and admiration. You, dear Lady, make us all a little better, just by gracing us with your presence here.

V/r

Andyman