Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

PTSD and Wife

Rate this question

Hoss

Question

I'm just curious if anyone else has had there "wife" call the VA and have your meds cancelled  based on her opinion that you are drinking too much?

I was finally put on a drug that provided some relief from my almost overwhelming anxiety and my constant irritability; it was actually working. I could carry on a conversation with most anyone and then the next thing I know my wife has called my psychologist who then called the psychiatrist who then discontinued my meds.

Just doesn't seem right...but I guess I'm crazy to begin with.  Funny...they are really going to see crazy now that I'm going to abruptly stop all meds!!!

Semper Fi

• HadIt.com Elder

I second Andyman!

I am honored that you spend your valuable time here on hadit  and helping all the Veterans and their wives  with claims Disability or DIC,,,,Your information & Research is absolutely priceless.

You Rock Ms Berta.

............Buck

Berta (and others), I didn't mean to offend you or anyone, and if I did,  I am very sorry.  I guess I am a little "jaded", and that's me, no one else.  When I was married, I had major surgery of a "detached retina" of my left eye, which was service connected.  They could not put me "under", they only thing they could do was numb  the eye, and had to keep the eye from blinking, which was a strange feeling.   So I was aware the whole time what was going on (2-3 hours).  After the surgery, when I got home,  after a few hours the pain was like I had never experienced before, and I asked my ex-wife  to help, and put some eye drops in my eye.  I had five different drops to be used.  That's when she told me "I didn't get married to be a xxxxxxx nursemaid",  and preceeded to throw the bottles across the room, and laugh in my face, and stormed out.  I treated this woman, the best a man could treat a woman.  And she laughed at me and also made a comment about me being "weak".  I feel now that I will never let a woman see me vulnerable.   I know there are a lot of great women, women that have done a tremendous amount for their veteran husbands, boyfriends, etc., an I didn't mean to create a 'firestorm".

I just wanted to show a different side of the picture....but I sure know vets whose are treated like crap by their spouses too.Disgraceful.

I blame the VA for much of my husband's problems with PTSD. His 1151 claim was for better PTSD care because he was still seeing the VA employee shrink, even after he left VA for a different job.The shrink was a lovely man but didn't have a clue on PTSD and , as a psychologist, he could not prescribe meds.

After I raised hell with the VAMC, they finally switched him to a psychiatrist and things did start to get a little better....after the inhouse hospitalization. But he died 3 weeks after he came back home from that.

He already had a major stroke and threw into the 1151 charges, at the end that he feared, since his PTSD had been inappropriately treated for years by VA and maybe that he would have another misdiagnosed stroke (their original diagnosis was brain tumor) that also there might be something wrong with his heart too.

I already mentioned here how a nurse screamed at him for picking up his med rec packet once while waiting for a doctor's appointment at the local VA.

he had read all the DAV, AL mags, and finally was the last vet there but still waiting and waiting and wanted something to read. She told him, he was not allowed to see those records and she put them back on the ledge that the doctor's would pick them up from, to call whoever was next.

How dumb we were then. We never knew he could have gone to their Privacy Act office and ask for a copy of them. We figured he was not allowed to see them by law.

In those days, as his widow I had to start from day one to re start the 1151 claim he had filed. No substitution regs then.

He was right .They had misdiagnosed multiple mini strokes as  a hole in his ear drum and sinus condition (he had neither), and failed to follow up on a EKG that revealed a heart attack while he was employed at the VA. An ECHO after the stroke revealed significant ischemia of heart and a MRI of brain revealed significant ischemia of 6-7 brain areas too. And they sent him 3 weeks prior to death, another vets meds in the mail by mistake.

The only charge I lost (out of many I made for wrongful death under FTCA) was that the other vets meds might have contributed to his death.

he had a  vision problem from the stroke and undiagnosed diabetes and although we always matched his meds to our PDR pictures and counted them, I never looked at the name on the bottle of his HBP meds and he couldn't read it.

But it was at a high dosage that he should have been on all along. I called the vet whose name was on the VA bottle and here he had been waiting for his meds and the VAMC kept saying he already got them. I went right over to the pharmacy and raised hell and they did an incident report and called the other vet to come in to get his meds.

They could have killed that vet too.He was quite elderly and had gone, by that time, 3 weeks without his HBP meds.Of course they blamed the post office but that would mean the PO had to open the VA med  box and switch the HBP meds and leave the other meds there (aspirin and Swish and Swallow and Sudafed.)

Last year I did win the 1151 I filed on the HBP, 20 years after he died. The FTCA internal paperwork I got under FOIA revealed his prescription was definitely the wrong dosage for him for the 6 years prior to the pharmacy error.And they agreed the Sudafed had compounded the negative affects of the wrong 6 year med prescription.

I am jaded too.

Sometimes I think the job qualification to become  a VA doctor , is to have been a former Keystone Cop.

Berta (and others)  There is a skit in which the Three Stooges  where  Moe says  "you call yourself a doctor?  You don't know nothing.  You don't know the patients, you don't know about medicine,  you can't answer a simple medical question.  Curly over here knows more about medication and being a doctor, and look how dumb he is.  (Curly just smiles and says "yuk, yuk, yuk).  So tell me birdbrain are you really and doctor and where?".  The doctor says "Yes I'm a doctor and I practice at the V.A hospital in town".  Moe (hand to forehead)  "Well that explains everything".

"Im with the government and am a doctor and am here to help you". yuk yuk yuk.  

"You are not a doctor, bird brain."   Moe Bonks Curly on the head.

"Yes, I am.  See... it says Curly, MDd".  yuk yuk yuk.  

"That's not "Doctor,"  thats MDD...major depressive disorder".  Knucklehead.  It means your nuts.  

"Goody, I like nuts.  Pnuts or walnuts?"  

Edited by broncovet