Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Question about MD and 100% P&T

Rate this question

paulstrgn

Question

I was talking with the RO in Roanoke, VA today about the status of my BVA appeal which was granted and when will they finish what I am calling the second half (the ratings). He was looking in the system and unofficially (Until I have something in writing from the VA) I will be 100%. Now I thought it would be 100% P&T but he said no because of the MD, that would be re-evaluated somewhere down the road.

My question is he wrong? Because I have MD I am not considered 100% P&T but just simply 100%. Needless to say I want P&T so I get the additional perks, educational benefits, property tax discounts, etc.

Needless to say him telling me this really burst my bubble, I wanted the additional benefits not just the 100%.

Thanks

7 hours ago, paulstrgn said:

he SA is 50% (or should be) will give me 100% with the MD (50%) along with all my other disabilities. Now if they rate my hypertension at 20% or higher I will be at 100% without the MD

Paul, sorry I have not been paying attention to you and your thread...up to my ass in alligators  and not just the VA crocodile breed.

Mental Health conditions are rarely ever rated P&T out of the gate. In your award letter you should see a re-evaluation date on the MD. Like PTSD it can be 1, 2, 3 4, 5 years after the award. When that comes up the nuttier you are the more likely you will be made P&T.  You are sixty something and say you plan to work for a few more years. I don't remember the details about your govt time, pension and all those dates and frankly I won't go hunting for it LOL. I know too much about too many people in general, nothing personal 🙂

I certainly won't suggest you exaggerate on a C&P, but be truthful and you will get to P&T. The older we get the more common depression is. The more our lives are limited by physical problems, the greater our depression can sink. SA increases depression symptoms along with all the other problems it can cause.

with MD life can become gray, food bland, desire to get out of bed non-existent. No interest in family, kids, friends, hobbies or work.

Isolating occurs. So does being grumpy or down right rude.

You are a smart guy Paul, you know these things. You know what parts to tell the C&P Quack and how to tell them. You also know what to keep personal. Even a glimmer of happiness is like a stab in back. On the MD P&T time will work in your favor.

As for the other, remember that P&T means they don't believe there is any chance it will get better. So if that is what the record shows, then you will get P&T.. I am hoping you get it, but honestly part of me is sad you are so F'd up you merit a P&T... mixed feelings on the subject...same as I had about my own P&T determination.

Preach on, that. Im P/T for MH (MD, as he puts it) along with physical issues. My lower back nerve damage at 42 is bad enough to cause constant continuous pain and discomfort/neuropathy, but not in a safe enough location to warrant operating because if they screw it up ill be using Big Boy depends for the rest of my life, among other things, not just the shields I use now. That bit that Martin Riggs from "Lethal Weapon" says to Murtaugh about having to think of a reason every single day to get up? Yeah, its kinda like that. I really hope, Paul, that you reach out when it gets like that to the rest of us, or the phone line, or a friend, or whatever you gotta do to help get you around those. 

12 hours ago, GeekySquid said:

Paul, sorry I have not been paying attention to you and your thread.

Michael I am hurt that you haven't been keeping up...lol

I am glad you have other things to do to keep yourself busy. My MH is secondary to my back from not being able to do the things I should still be able to do. I have lost 4" of height from my scoliosis in the past 5-6 years, I am concerned about that but my doctor isn't. I have constant pain and it is worse the more I bend over and also have nerve issues from my waist down. Personally I think my back and nerve issues are too low (20% for 4 nerve issues and my back). I went in earlier this year for an increase to my back because of the pain and limited range of motion when I bend over and the doctor (I use the term loosely) wrote it up as if my back was better and the Femoral Nerve issues in both legs had gotten better. I am now fighting a reduction for those issues (this adds to my depression needless to say).

I am 61 and am planning to retire either this year or next. I work for the federal government since 8/1996. I also bought my military time back and for retirement purposes I will have 40 plus years in the federal government.

I always tell the examiners the truth about my issues, it may be about my worst day or how it is on that day. When I saw the doctor for my MH exam I was all over the place, I answered her truthfully but also left nothing out. She listened and wrote down it all, I laughed, cried (I really tried not to but my emotions got to me), and told her what was bothering me. She was sympathetic to what I was telling her and my rating shows it (50%). I denied my depression for years for after all men don't have these issues (which is crap) but it was hard for me to admit it to anyone. I am glad I finally started seeing a doctor for this, she is helping but mostly she pushes meds. I don't like taking meds but for now that is where I am.

I can still get to 100% without the MH if when they do the 3 - 5 day blood pressure check I get at least 20% which won't be hard. My BP is out of control and my doctor is trying to get it under control. Without the meds my top number is between 190 - 217 (highest so far) and the bottom number rages between 125 - 133. So I am hoping I can still get P&T because of the BP, we will see.

4 minutes ago, paulstrgn said:

Michael I am hurt that you haven't been keeping up...lol

i love it lol.

as for the other stuff, i have empathy. I know the BP thing well mine is usually around 180 range even on sedation..but it bounces like you would not believe....or maybe you would..:)

Have a good day. I am off to alligator wrangling.

8 hours ago, brokensoldier244th said:

I really hope, Paul, that you reach out

I will even though the pain is driving me crazy. As I have told my wife (which she hates) death won't be that bad, I am tired of hurting all the time. Having my wife and kids is what keeps me going, I am very thankful for them.

Scoliosis is a birth defect but my military time has made it worse. As I am getting older the pain increases and I have a harder time doing the things I could do just a few years ago. I actually miss being able to mow the lawn. The simple things I am no longer able to do.

8 hours ago, brokensoldier244th said:

but not in a safe enough location to warrant operating because if they screw it up ill be using Big Boy depends

The orthopedic doctors I have seen have told me the same thing, that having the surgery could cause me more issues than it solves. So for now I will stay the same, just keep losing height and hurting more which really sucks!!!!!

2 minutes ago, GeekySquid said:

Have a good day. I am off to alligator wrangling.

Aww to be young and able to do the wild things in life...lol

Enjoy your weekend.