Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Question about MD and 100% P&T

Rate this question

paulstrgn

Question

I was talking with the RO in Roanoke, VA today about the status of my BVA appeal which was granted and when will they finish what I am calling the second half (the ratings). He was looking in the system and unofficially (Until I have something in writing from the VA) I will be 100%. Now I thought it would be 100% P&T but he said no because of the MD, that would be re-evaluated somewhere down the road.

My question is he wrong? Because I have MD I am not considered 100% P&T but just simply 100%. Needless to say I want P&T so I get the additional perks, educational benefits, property tax discounts, etc.

Needless to say him telling me this really burst my bubble, I wanted the additional benefits not just the 100%.

Thanks

• HadIt.com Elder

You know what I say all the time...when you get older, there's 3 things that happen. First is your memory starts to go. And I can't remember the other 2!

The guy from the VA did recommend me putting in for IU, as that will get me 100% P&T, The two things I don't like about that is, I am still working and I may want to work after I retire sometime this year or next.

• HadIt.com Elder

You aren't saying you are 1oo% scheduler but not P&T are you? You can be 100% scheduler, but because one or more are MD disabilities, I guess by definition, you can't get P&T that way (unless you get other new disabilities rated.) So, the only other way to get to 100, would be to get TDIU, and after some time (?), they convert it to permanent. Based on your age, though, I wonder how long you would have to wait. But of course you won't be able to make much $ short term.

2 hours ago, paulstrgn said:

.My question is he wrong? Because I have MD I am not considered 100% P&T but just simply 100%. Needless to say I want P&T so I get the additional perks, educational benefits, property tax discounts, etc.

Paul, 

You could request P&T in writing... I was granted P&T when I was awarded TDIU in 1999 without asking .. then in 2007 when I became 100%  I was awarded P&T again ....I think it depends on the rater working your case more than anything else... ( of course your condition must be one that will  never improve) 

When I won my BVA appeal I was granted SC for SA and hypertension. The SA is 50% (or should be) will give me 100% with the MD (50%) along with all my other disabilities. Now if they rate my hypertension at 20% or higher I will be at 100% without the MD. But needless to say at this time I don't know until I go for the 3 - 5 day blood pressure check.

I currently work full time for the government so until I retire I would not be eligible to TDIU.