VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

BVA Changes coming

Rate this question

Berta

Question

In part:

"WASHINGTON — The U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA), Board of Veterans’ Appeals (Board) and Office of Information and Technology (OIT) are working towards nationwide availability of virtual hearings for Veterans next year, allowing access using their mobile phone or laptop via the VA Video Connect app.
The virtual hearings are based on the Veterans Health Administration's tele-health platform and lets Veterans participate in their appeals hearings from the comfort of their homes."

https://www.va.gov/opa/pressrel/pressrelease.cfm?id=5372

Also:

"VA continues record setting claims processing pace for 2019

"WASHINGTON — The U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs’ (VA) disability claims backlog reached its lowest point ever, Nov 23 from its previous record low achieved May 2018."

https://www.va.gov/opa/pressrel/pressrelease.cfm?id=5371

Nothing against you, Berta, but Im "from Missouri", and I have learned the hard way not to beleive the VA.  

This is inconsistent with the BVA chairmans report for FY 2018, published not all that long ago.  In the 2018 Chairmans report (the most recent available), they estimated it would take 42 months to catch up, if the BVA were to complete 341 decisions per working  day.  

I have noticed BVA decisions are VERY short in recent history.    Its hard for me to believe that BVA could "catch up" in a few short months, and still manage to NOT complete my 2 decisions currently waiting at the BVA.  

One is a remand from the CAVC which is supposed to be given priority, the other is an appeal from 2008, which is ALSo supposed to be given priority since its over 10 years old.  

If they are doing them so fast, then why cant they get mine done, when they are supposed to be priority?

"Remands" are to be given "expiditious treatment", and VA promised if we "opted into Ramp" our appeals would be given priority over legacy appealants who did not opt into ramp.  I opted in, and nope, no BVA decision.   Its been waiting at the board for months.  

• HadIt.com Elder

I doubt if Alex is in favor of this tech advancement. He said he did a video hearing in P.R. and the veteran is at an disadvantage. Th positioning of the cameras did fully show body language, etc. among other things. 

The good part is that the Veteran is not required to do a hearing.  And, I understand that a Vets representative can represent the Vet at a hearing and he need not be present.  

I dont "do" hearings.  Why?  Because I dont hear..so "hearings" is a source of stress for me, big time.  

I am so frustrated by this...is it my figging fault I had trouble understanding a C & P examiner not from THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA (no offense to foreigners) and now I am stuck in appeal h e l l ?

Thank GOD for HADIT.

Edited by Holllie Greene
do not want to offend

I do not see where having a virtual hearing would always benefit the vet.  I do not look good on camera and I cannot hear so well sometimes.  I would rather go to DC or have them come to me.  I have also been told that sometimes it is to the veteran's disadvantage to have a hearing with the board.  Look scruffy and they might take you for a poser.  Look good in a suit and tie and they might not believe that you are disabled as you claim.  It can be a crap shoot when it should not be.  They have the evidence and that should be what carries the day.  Of course they need to read all of the evidence.

On second thought the RO's should read all of the evidence and finish our cases correctly so they do not need to go to the BVA.

• HadIt.com Elder

VA Video Connect connects Veterans with their health care team from anywhere, using encryption to ensure a secure and private session. It makes VA health care more convenient and reduces travel times for Veterans, especially those in very rural areas with limited access to VA health care facilities, and it allows quick and easy health care access from any mobile or web-based device.

Veterans and their health care providers jointly decide whether to use VA Video Connect for a medical visit. Please speak with your VA care team if you are interested in potentially receiving care through VA Video Connect. Ahead of a VA Video Connect appointment, you will receive an email or calendar invite with a link to launch the session.

VA Video Connect works on nearly any device that has an internet connection and a web camera. For example, it works on Windows-based PCs and laptops, Windows mobile devices, iOS mobile devices, Android mobile devices, etc.

Note: To test whether your personally owned device is compatible with VA Video Connect, visit the VA Video Connect test site on your mobile device.

How to prepare for your VA Video Connect visit:

On an Apple mobile device (e.g., iPhone, iPad): Download the free VA Video Connect iOS app from the Apple App Store. The session will launch automatically in the app after the session link is selected from the email invitation.

All other devices: No application download is required. The session will launch automatically in your web browser after the session link is selected from the email invitation.

I sit and talked with a Phyistrist here a couple months ago .I was up at the VA and all the other Dr were to busy to see mew so they put me in this small room with a TV Monitor and I talked with this Dr for about 30 minutes.the hearing appeal is or works about the same way  only the veteran will be in his home, the Dr was on her Lap-top I assumed.

worked fairly well although i HAD TO Ask the Dr so speak up...so I guess a Veteran could use a set of headphones.