Ask Your VA Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 
Read VA Disability Claims Articles
Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• tbirds-va-claims-struggle (1).png

• 01-2024-stay-online-donate-banner.png

Short note: It looks like I won, was told it is %100 P&T with special compensation added.

Rate this topic

retiredat44

Short note: It looks like I won, was told it is %100 P&T with special compensation added. I don't have the official letter yet, but I received my more retro deposited, and my hired gun says that what I got. I need to find out about the education payments retro for my daughter who got two MB's, and owes a lot $$$$$$. We always kept those forms filled out while she went to schools, so not sure when and how they will pay those, or the amount that the va pays for the disabled vets children's education. So, while I have many of the signs it is a done deal, I need to see it in stone. My hired gun said he got the rest finished doing things that my free va rep didn't do and and nothing but sit there. My hired gun got it done in 2 months of less. The va left me at 90%, I knew i had the evidence. whatever he did, he said the va didn't realize how sick I was. Even though I had already invest 3 decades and went through the bva, and was fast approaching deadlines. Even though I won, there is a bit of hollowness in the fact I am too sick to enjoy life, other than take narcotics and try to rest. The va made sure any better years were pissed away. But, I did win, I know I would, should, could. But, I was at the point I had just about exhausted what I knew and the time I had left, and needed an expert to move immediately. I Have a home. I have some family that can care for me, I have a few friends who care and help, I live in a peaceful place. The fight is over, I hope and al of the boxes of medical documents can be either sealed, burned, or?

Hadit will always hold a place in my heart for getting me through this. All of those vets and others who have been here or will be here. Here are more stories and documents for your fights.

If you can get a good representative get one, if they say no, or put you on long waiting lists, it depends on your health, your ability to survive, your ability to fight, and resources you can talk to.  I would not trust any organization that doesn't have time for you, had folders up the ceiling, and has people in a job  and way over their heads in the job representing disabled veterans for claims. If you need to file yourself, preserve dates. You can always find a rep after you file. if they say no, and you feel they are wrong, file it yourself. Always get everything in righting and officially received and secured copies of documents so you never lose them. Don't be afraid to fire your rep. Try to get meetings in person. C&P exams, the letters you receive for the appointment say the doctors doesn't need more documents,, b.s... if you have to put more than you need in the car, and if you need to bring them into the c&p. Bring someone with you that cares.

If you can't work, then don't. I know you can't live without money, but the SS and the VA see a person working and think you can work. (convaluted, yes).

If you ask a doctor for a letter, you can't assume they have a clue what format. They can word stuff badly and ruin a good letter with two wrong words. Guide them, take an example letter to show them what you need.

IMO's are extremely important, but the VA will try to one up your letter with their hired guns, so, your guns have to be bigger, better, etc. More knowledgeable , more authority.

But, they IMO writing doctors are very greedy. IMO.

It comes down to have a person represent you who knows how. If they don't then time and money is pissed away.

Used to be you can go on someone's reputation, but at one point over the years, even the best reps were mired down in to many claims and could no longer represent everyone equally.

It takes o long to get claims through the people move and retired so your care and claim gets shuffled and passed on to reps that do not know your case and start from scratch every couple of years. Your medical condition changes and then they want to know what it is now, not when you were dying. Yes, that's rude, but that's how the va see's it, is the vet better now? The same, ever going to be better? One and on.. that's it for now. I started my claims in the 1990's, I left with injuries from the USAF 1982, and getting very sick many times form chemicals. After a few years, I was getting very sick again. I lost the ability to work by the early 1990's I was in deep trouble with very bad health. I had a job that let me work sick even though I suffered greatly. By the early 1990's I was no longer able to work and spent more tan half the day sick in bed. Their tests were the wrong test, inadequate and was told I was mentally ill and a drug seeker. That's who I was treated. They finally found I have large cysts on my pancreas and swelling, very bad diarrhea for decades. Severe weight loss, severe pain. The list goes on and on. Then came the negligence when they cut the wrong tube in surgey on my pancreas I later won the 1151 for that (6 months fighting for my life in a va hospital tube fed.) Doctors told me I didn't have long to live,, though I am still here.

01-01-11_My_Medical_Records.jpg

Not in appeals, since I got 100%, and some of it was winning an 1151 negligence, which the VA turns out does not give ful benefits if you win 1151 negligence they squirm and legal loophhole you and your family out of many benefits, really crapp nasty bunch running the va benefits, they wil backstab and scre wyou even if you win you lose. May 2021.

01-01-11_My_Medical_Records2.jpg

• Lead Moderator

Congratulations!  Even tho you did not get the envelope,  you got something better:  Retro!  

Your dependents, unless this has changed, will be offered a "choice" of effective dates for Chapter 35:  Either now, or they can go back to the "effective date" of your 100 percent P and T.

It sounds like you likely dont know what the effective date will be.  (You have to watch VA on this, naturally my VARO messed up my son's DEA Ch. 35 effective date.  He had been in college some time, and wanted paid back, with VA benefits..so he could pay off student loans.  Well he sent the form in opting for an effective date 2 years previous, and guess what?  VA loses that and then presumes he did not want retro.  Grrrr. ) It mattered not, that he went to the counselor at school who had a verification of the document sent to VA.  VA lost it, then disavowed ever receiving it, in spite of proof to the contrary.  

There used to be a page where "new 100 percent" Vets could go to, to help them understand (and use!) newly awarded 100 percent P and T benefits.  

However, I will go over a few overlooked ones:

1.  Dont neglect to get your $10,000 free (called waiver of premiums) life insurance.  This is whole life, and will have a cash value of 10,000 in about 20 years.  You can cash it in before that, or borrow on it, or leave it to your heirs.  

2.  Dont forget state benefits.   Many states have programs where disabled Vets pay little or no property taxes on their home.  But, you have to apply for that, of course.  

3.  If you have been paying copays on medications through VA, you can get them refunded by taking your award letter to the "means" office in your VAMC.  I think I got 900 dollars about a month later.  

4.  Of course there are more, I tried to hit the most important ones.  (Such as BX, MWR priveledges, etc)  But I cant not neglect what I think is the number one benefit:  Champva for your spouse.  I have spoken to several "medicare advisors" and the honest ones explain that champva is the best insurance available.  One example will suffice:

My wife has Champ VA.  She has been to the ER about 6 times including an admittance to the hospital.    We paid zero.  My son, however, took his wife and son  to the ER, (3 times) , and STILL owes more than  20,000 to the hospital and doctors!  (Yea he has insurance, what good is it if he still pays thousands of dollars?)   That is just his part!  He makes good money but is struggling to pay off medical debt EVEN with medical insurance.  

At least some of these benefits have a limited time frame in which to apply.  (For example, you must apply for the life insurance within 2 years of the decision.) 

Edited by broncovet

That is great Steve- as you know I wrote the 1151 claim for you here in around 2009-

I added evidence you could use and it was, as I always said, one of the best 1151 claims I had seen here since 1997. I gave you evidence of settlements of Many private lawsuits against private doctors of the exact same problem you had and also link to a veteran who won at BVA for the exact same ERCP screw up by VA. There might be more there by now- along with your win.In any event I have no idea why it took until Dec2019 - 10 years later for you to win that claim.

If anyone out there has gotten necrotizing pancreatitis from a lousy VA ERCP surgery- that claim and the evidence I mentioned here years ago, is a prime excellent template for getting an award under 1151........and all searchable here.

Congrats and enjoy the TDIU victory.

I hope they give you the right EED.

GRADUATE ! Nov 2nd 2007 American Military University !

When thousands of Americans faced annihilation in the 1800s Chief

Osceola's response to his people, the Seminoles, was

simply "They(the US Army)have guns, but so do we."

Sameo to us -They (VA) have 38 CFR ,38 USC, and M21-1- but so do we.

• Founder

wonderful news, thank you so much for sharing it. it gives others hope to see success stories.

Tbird

Founder HadIt.com Veteran To Veteran LLC - Founded Jan 20, 1997

HadIt.com Veteran To Veteran | Community Forum | RallyPointFaceBook | LinkedInAbout Me

Time Dedicated to HadIt.com Veterans and my brothers and sisters: 65,700 - 109,500 Hours Over Thirty Years

diary-a-mad-sailor-signature-banner.png

I am writing my memoirs and would love it if you could help a shipmate out and look at it.

I've had a few challenges, perhaps the same as you. I relate them here to demonstrate that we can learn, overcome, and find purpose in life.

The stories can be harrowing to read; they were challenging to live. Remember that each story taught me something I would need once I found my purpose, and my purpose was and is HadIt.com Veterans.

Congratulations!

My intentions are to help, my advice maybe wrong, be your own advocate and know what is in your C-File and the 38 CFR that governs your disabilities and conditions.

Do your own homework. No one knows the veteran’s symptoms like the veteran. Never Give Up.

I do not give my consent for anyone to view my personal VA records.

• Tell a friend

Love HadIt.com’s VA Disability Community Vets helping Vets since 1997? Tell a friend!
  • Recent Achievements

• spazbototto earned a badge
      Week One Done
    • Paul Gretza earned a badge
      Week One Done
    • Troy Spurlock went up a rank
      Community Regular
    • KMac1181 earned a badge
      Week One Done
    • jERRYMCK earned a badge
      Week One Done
  • Our picks

• These decisions have made a big impact on how VA disability claims are handled, giving veterans more chances to get benefits and clearing up important issues.

Service Connection

Frost v. Shulkin (2017)
      This case established that for secondary service connection claims, the primary service-connected disability does not need to be service-connected or diagnosed at the time the secondary condition is incurred 1. This allows veterans to potentially receive secondary service connection for conditions that developed before their primary condition was officially service-connected. 

Saunders v. Wilkie (2018)
      The Federal Circuit ruled that pain alone, without an accompanying diagnosed condition, can constitute a disability for VA compensation purposes if it results in functional impairment 1. This overturned previous precedent that required an underlying pathology for pain to be considered a disability.

Effective Dates

Martinez v. McDonough (2023)
      This case dealt with the denial of an earlier effective date for a total disability rating based on individual unemployability (TDIU) 2. It addressed issues around the validity of appeal withdrawals and the consideration of cognitive impairment in such decisions.

Rating Issues

Continue Reading on HadIt.com
      • 0 replies
    • I met with a VSO today at my VA Hospital who was very knowledgeable and very helpful.  We decided I should submit a few new claims which we did.  He told me that he didn't need copies of my military records that showed my sick call notations related to any of the claims.  He said that the VA now has entire military medical record on file and would find the record(s) in their own file.  It seemed odd to me as my service dates back to  1981 and spans 34 years through my retirement in 2015.  It sure seemed to make more sense for me to give him copies of my military medical record pages that document the injuries as I'd already had them with me.  He didn't want my copies.  Anyone have any information on this.  Much thanks in advance.  
      • 4 replies
    • Caluza Triangle defines what is necessary for service connection
      Caluza Triangle – Caluza vs Brown defined what is necessary for service connection. See COVA– CALUZA V. BROWN–TOTAL RECALL

This has to be MEDICALLY Documented in your records:

Current Diagnosis.   (No diagnosis, no Service Connection.)

In-Service Event or Aggravation.
      Nexus (link- cause and effect- connection) or Doctor’s Statement close to: “The Veteran’s (current diagnosis) is at least as likely due to x Event in military service”
      • 0 replies
    • Do the sct codes help or hurt my disability rating 
    • VA has gotten away with (mis) interpreting their  ambigious, , vague regulations, then enforcing them willy nilly never in Veterans favor.  

They justify all this to congress by calling themselves a "pro claimant Veteran friendly organization" who grants the benefit of the doubt to Veterans.  

This is not true, 

Proof:  

About 80-90 percent of Veterans are initially denied by VA, pushing us into a massive backlog of appeals, or worse, sending impoverished Veterans "to the homeless streets" because  when they cant work, they can not keep their home.  I was one of those Veterans who they denied for a bogus reason:  "Its been too long since military service".  This is bogus because its not one of the criteria for service connection, but simply made up by VA.  And, I was a homeless Vet, albeit a short time,  mostly due to the kindness of strangers and friends. 

Hadit would not be necessary if, indeed, VA gave Veterans the benefit of the doubt, and processed our claims efficiently and paid us promptly.  The VA is broken. 

A huge percentage (nearly 100 percent) of Veterans who do get 100 percent, do so only after lengthy appeals.  I have answered questions for thousands of Veterans, and can only name ONE person who got their benefits correct on the first Regional Office decision.  All of the rest of us pretty much had lengthy frustrating appeals, mostly having to appeal multiple multiple times like I did. 

I wish I know how VA gets away with lying to congress about how "VA is a claimant friendly system, where the Veteran is given the benefit of the doubt".   Then how come so many Veterans are homeless, and how come 22 Veterans take their life each day?  Va likes to blame the Veterans, not their system.   

Important Information

Guidelines and Terms of Use