VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

What Exactly Do Service Officer Do For Vets?

Rate this question

63SIERRA

Question

I am trying to find out what exactly the system is, that the service officers do/ Ok for instance. My claim is at the waco va, on re open.

The service officer is in the same building with the va. Somewhere in the va, lies my claim. I know my service officer has access to my c-file, because he has my power of retardee. So now what. I was told there are 15 service officers in waco for my service org. I would imagine they are assigned cases, based on whatever, such as complicated, or simple based on thier experience.

Im just trying to picture what is actually going on,. Im envisioning a service rep sitting at a desk in his office., And im envisioning the va personell on thier side of the building, , doing whatever it is they do. So what happens, does the Service officer basically wait around until the time comes that my case Is actively being worked by the ro, then get engaged and work with them to try and improve my position, or are they working on my case on thier own and doing research and confering amongst themselves, as to how best move forward.

ANYBODY KNOW?

Some letters I get from the service org say that my claim is with the " appeals team". So that sounds like people who would know what to do at that level.

When asking my service org how things work, they are very limited in what they will say. its very need to know type dialogue. real generic answers.

Im not trying to be critical but I just dont ;like following anyone but Jesus in blind faith., I dont think knowing how the process works is too much to ask.

• HadIt.com Elder

Technically and realistically they do "nothing" for the veteran. They do help the VA deter veterans from making valid claims and requests for increases by spreading the misinformation the VA feeds them.

And they don't just sit around on their side of the building. They often travel (collecting mileage) to their chapters, in their state, where they also spread VA misinformation and sign up more vets to get screwed by signing POA's, while having beers/cocktails, w/their cohorts and getting their photos, in the local newspapers.

They also play golf w/some of the VA employees, weekly or so, taking days off from the office. Actually, thinking about it, I think they could be congressional wannabees. jmo

Personally, I feel the major Veteran Service Org's, such as AL, DAV, VFW should be shut down. They started w/good intentions but then so do many other causes. Now they just bleed vets dry trying to keep from closing, while their leadership gets rich.

pr

I couldn't again more Phillip Rogers. I've contacted the American Legion several times in the past 9 months and I've only talked to him maybe 3 times (if that). I've never got a update on anything thats going on. And the guy knows my problem is a VA mistake and he told me in the beginning it would take 3 months to fix. I wasn't sure how I was going to pay bills and put food on the table for those 3 months. Now, here it is 9 months later and nothing has changed. I'll probably lose everything I have because of this but I don't think he gives a damn!!!

• HadIt.com Elder

These VSO's are not even strong political advocates for vets. If you have a claim you can't handle go get a lawyer is my advice. My lawyer calls me every time there is a new event in my case. If we win then he gets paid and I get paid. That is ok with me since he writes real briefs and goes to hearings prepared. Most of what happens with a claim is based on your evidence and not "handling fee" in terms of membership you get from VSO. I belong to DAV for life. What a waste. If you VSO sits down with you for an hour and helps you map out a strategy to win maximum benefits he/she might be worth a nickel.

John

"When asking my service org how things work, they are very limited in what they will say"

That is, in my opinion, because they are very limited in what they know.

I think your expectations of SOs is too high.

"does the Service officer basically wait around until the time comes that my case Is actively being worked by the ro, then get engaged and work with them to try and improve my position,"

Dont count on that. They might prepare a supportive 646 if the case goes to the BVA, but 646s have little impact on a favorable decision, if other factors are still missing in the claim.

"or are they working on my case on thier own and doing research and confering amongst themselves, as to how best move forward."

Doing Research? definitely dont count on that.

I think there is far more actual hands on claims help and research done here at hadit for vets, every day, than what most SOs would ever accomplish.

You received a VCAA letter sometime after you filed this claim.

It should tell you exactly what the VA still needs from you.

We have the entire VA claims process step by step here at hadit..maybe a link on the home page.

But no claimant needs to know the entire process, they just need to be able to comply with the evidence that VA requests and also be willing to do the leg work the claim needs.

There are plenty of good SOs as well as lousy ones.

But the good SOs are always overwhelmed

This is my opinion based on the fact that I took the NVLSP NSO training courses many years ago, and found that even my own former vet rep was behind the times on a few new regulations.and he gave me improper advice when he told me not to NOD a faulty decision. from the VA.

(which I did on my own, and I won)

The last rep I had, gave me absolutely no support at all for my AO DMII death claim. He said it would never be granted.

I emailed the State of NY lawyer that this vet org had when I won that claim too.

Our claims are up to us to research and gather evidence for.It can be a very time consuming and even costly process if an IMO is needed.

Without the right evidence and/or proof of nexus , even the best top notch SO in the country cannot perform a miracle with a claim.

John is right too on lawyers.

Some vets dont want to hire a vet lawyer when they really need one.

They rationalize they don't want to pay some lawyer out of their eventual comp.

They might be better off paying the 20-25 % (I dont now what lawyers charge) from a potential award

then losing the claim and getting no comp at all. That is getting 100% of nothing.

Edited by Berta

• HadIt.com Elder

PR is so correct.

Here is the bottom line.

Veterans Service Orgs have absolutely zero incentive to win a veterans claims.

Evidence wins claims. If you have a denial and you dont get an attorney, Yiou are playing Russian Roulette.

J

Mine (American Legion) works for the State and have a office in the State building. One of the employees lives up the street from me. They get paid very well for their job but the thing is, they dont really do anything. Like everyone agrees with, evidence wins the claim. They have no passion (in my local office. Dont know about others) for helping anyone. It's just a job for them that pays the bills.