VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Chuck75: Thanks for the heads up. Hopefully, it will come to fruition this time around.
Jim: thanks for insider's view of the Space A use.
In this country there is a huge vacumm in terms of regional public transportation (where is the high speed rail), and air travel - specially air travel involving relatively short distance and not involving main airports -- can be extremely expensive and unreasonable. I am even considering the purchase of a small cessna in spite of the costs and perils of owning an aircraft.

• HadIt.com Elder

"Currently it is under review with results due to SecDef in August for his consideration."

In other words, slowball until we can figure a way out of this one!

I'd mention some of the ways, but someone might take them and run with it. Cost saving suggestions, don't you know!

Hagel does not have the power to change items in a bill signed by POTUS. It is However, his responsibility to implement the Defense Bill. If he tries to hinder its passage, I think it would be the last straw.

J

• HadIt.com Elder

"Hagel does not have the power to change items in a bill signed by POTUS"

Don't underestimate the deviousness of bureaucrats!

As I previously said, there are ways, and I didn't want to state any of them, since that might give somebody an idea or two!

After spending decades working in the DOD's house, (as a contractor, and sometimes even as the government's representative to other contractors)

I know of several tactics that can be used to indefinitely delay implementation.

Just one is the un-reimbursed cost difference of a full "seat mile" vs an empty one.

• 2 weeks later...
According to GovTrack.us   

H.R. 1960 National Defense Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 2014

which included-

"Section 644 - Directs the Secretary to provide transportation on scheduled and unscheduled military flights within the United States and on scheduled overseas flights operated by the Air Mobility Command on a space-available basis for veterans with a service-connected, permanent disability rated as total."

Passed the House on June 14th 2014,

but was changed to H.R. 3304 (same title) Enacted — Signed by the President — Dec 26, 2013 as "NATIONAL DEFENSE AUTHORIZATION ACT FOR FISCAL YEAR 2014, Public Law 113-66".

Public Law 113-66 does not include Section 644.

What gives?