Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Imo Help!

Rate this question

Guest terrysturgis

Question

Guest terrysturgis

This is what I came up with to help my private MD get me an IMO. If anyone has any suggestions, please help.

November __, 2005

RE: Terry Sturgis, CLAIM XX-XXX-XXX

Dear Chris _____ DAV SO,

Terry has been diagnosed wuth Diabetes Mellitus for four years. He has been Service Connected for the DMII and lower body bilaterial Peripheral Neuropathy for three years.

Patient has now developed upper body bilaterial Peripheral Neuropathy.

His muscle power and tone are reduced in both hands (as diagnosed by Veterans Administration Doctor Mohammed Mohiuddin, MD during an Agent Orange physical performed on 07/13/2005). Copy enclosed.

Having treated many Diabetics for ____ years I conclude that this patient has developed bilaterial upper body Peripheral Neuropathy as a secondary condition to DMII.

Respectfully,

Ken _____, MD

HADIT FOLKS, is this letter OK and am I missing anything. THANKS, Terry Sturgis

• Answers 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Guest jangrin

mssoup1,

Unfortunately the only medical records my husband has are with the VA. And only since this past november when he was diagnosed with DMII and CAD/HBP/ etc. He was not one to go to doctors.

Because everything is so recent there is no long term care. The SSA must determine whether he can work at any sort of job. Because the records do not reflect inability to work, the SSA has scheduled their own doctor to eval my husbands problems and determine if he can work at any kind of job and also if he is likely to "improve" physically over the next year.

It's all about one's ability or inability to function in the work place doing something. I suppose they will try to find some occupation they think he can do. We asked the VA doc to address and he replied, " I am not a disability evaluator". So we hired Dr. Bash to do a physical exam and evaluation. Because the VA records do not reflect what is going on with my husband. He tells them his symptoms but they really don't document them in the records. VA records do not show a true picture when you read them.They have failed to report most of the PN symptoms, anything to do with pain, they just nod like they are listening but in reality they have been terrible about documenting most symptoms.

We are finding out that you have to be a "sqeaky wheel" and look over their shoulder when they are typing in their computers.

Jangrin :)

stevedenesha,

You stated,

"What I meant is any decision by the BVA can't be instant! How long did this instant approval take - 1-2 years?"

What makes you think that a decision by the BVA cannot be instant? I have a decison letter from the BVA stating that they were instantly approving the two claims. This went back to VARO and they rated him on them. Do you know of something documented somewhere that says the BVA does not grant instant approvals on claims. If so, it is wrong because I have proof that they do this.

I guess I am still at a loss on your comments that you made and why.

jangrin,

You definitely need a doctor to state that you are totally disabled before SS will approve you. Now, this can be a temporary disability or a permanent disability. Even though SS considers you to be disabled, you are still allowed to work a certain amount each year without it affecting your claim. But since my health conditions won't allow me to work at all, I have never been able to do this.

I have heard that it is very hard to get a lot of the doctors at the VA to state that a veteran is totally disabled. That is why there are so many times that you need an IMO from your outside doctor to state this.

I also agree that not all of the VA doctors document everything that occurred at the exam. That is why is is important to get copies of your recent doctors reports and read them to make sure that they are correct. If not, you need to take a copy with you on your next visit and discuss those with the doctor. If these reports can be used in making decisions on your employability and whether or not a claim is approved or denied, you want to make sure that what is in those reports is accurate.

mssoup1

mssoup- I think maybe Steve meant that- even when the BVA decides a claim themselves-it still can take a long time for the VARO to rate it and send the final award.

I would think the BVA initial decision team, when they get an appeal, can certainly in many cases make a fast decision.

I saw one the other day -it angered me- the veteran had four (FOUR) IMOs that totally service connected him.

The RO had failed to even address any of them and used a VA quacko opinion to deny.

This vet -even with one opinion could have balanced the scales for Relative Equipoise but here he had four IMOs in support of his claim and the VARO didnt know how to read any of them.

The decision from the BVA granted SC but of course that got sent back to the VARO and pardon my French but God know's how long the VARO farted around with the claim before this vet ever saw a dime.

I hoped he lived long enough to see the award.

GRADUATE ! Nov 2nd 2007 American Military University !

When thousands of Americans faced annihilation in the 1800s Chief

Osceola's response to his people, the Seminoles, was

simply "They(the US Army)have guns, but so do we."

Sameo to us -They (VA) have 38 CFR ,38 USC, and M21-1- but so do we.

mssoup1,

Unfortunately the only medical records my husband has are with the VA. And only since this past november when he was diagnosed with DMII and CAD/HBP/ etc. He was not one to go to doctors.

Because everything is so recent there is no long term care. The SSA must determine whether he can work at any sort of job. Because the records do not reflect inability to work, the SSA has scheduled their own doctor to eval my husbands problems and determine if he can work at any kind of job and also if he is likely to "improve" physically over the next year.

It's all about one's ability or inability to function in the work place doing something. I suppose they will try to find some occupation they think he can do. We asked the VA doc to address and he replied, " I am not a disability evaluator". So we hired Dr. Bash to do a physical exam and evaluation. Because the VA records do not reflect what is going on with my husband. He tells them his symptoms but they really don't document them in the records. VA records do not show a true picture when you read them.They have failed to report most of the PN symptoms, anything to do with pain, they just nod like they are listening but in reality they have been terrible about documenting most symptoms.

We are finding out that you have to be a "sqeaky wheel" and look over their shoulder when they are typing in their computers.

Jangrin :)

Jangrin,

When you receive your reports from Dr. Bash would you please post if there are two differently written reports, one for VA and a seperate one for VA. I told him I needed 3, one for work, 1 for VA, one for SSA. He sent one report costing $2000. I alerted him to the fact I there was just 1 report. He Changed cover sheet from VA to SSA and SSA to OPM. He sent me the other 2, covers sheet only and then asked for a $%.00 fee for doing that. Make sure you get what you have paid for and let us know the results.

Thanks-----Callover

Gosh, I can't believe this is still an ongoing discussion. Again, what I meant is itn usually takes a long time from submission to decision from the BVA. I don't call a claim submitted say in 2004 being approved by the BVA in 2006 instant approval. mssoup1 - When was your claim submitted and when did the BVA give instant approval anyway?

Guest jangrin

"When you receive your reports from Dr. Bash would you please post if there are two differently written reports, one for VA and a seperate one for VA. I told him I needed 3, one for work, 1 for VA, one for SSA. He sent one report costing $2000. I alerted him to the fact I there was just 1 report. He Changed cover sheet from VA to SSA and SSA to OPM. He sent me the other 2, covers sheet only and then asked for a $%.00 fee for doing that. Make sure you get what you have paid for and let us know the results.

Thanks-----Callover "

Hi All,

My husband's IME (Independent Medical Exam) by Dr. Bash is finished. He recieved it yesterday. I think it was a fairly easy exam and report for him, primarily because he did not have to "counter" or "fight" any other doctor opinions he was able to do the exam and review the records and write his report.

The report stated that my husband is unable to work. Why he can't work. His physical finding linked to DMII. (which were, Heart disease, PN, cataracks, ED) and then stated that they were either directly related to the DMII or that they were more likely than not related). Then he service connected the DMII to AO. Also connected hearing loss and tennitis to military service. He gave a medical opinion about cervical spine and lumbar spine(not related to military service) for SSDI.

The report has Dr. Bash's complete curriculum vitae (CV), very impressive. He told my husband to give a copy of the complete report to the SSDI doctor this week before he does his exam for SS. Usually, they will look at each others findings (no one wants to look foolish). One report does cover both VA and SSA

It's very important when people talk to Dr. Bash or they send him records, that they are very specific about what exactly you want him to address. I felt that he is very to the point and does not waste words or get emotional about things. He sticks to the facts. (unlike me who goes off and talks and talks :rolleyes: sorry you all I'll try to be shorter).

Two more doctor appts. this week. We get their reports and all the records will be together for the VA and then my husband can sign the VCAA letter/notice and tell them to go ahead and rate him as he has no more evidense at this time. YEA!!!!

I think once they get Dr. Bash's report we will atart getting the notices for the c&p exams maybe they'll go ahead and rate him without the C&P exams?. Its been 6 months and not one exam yet for VA, only SSA has requested exams for PTSD/depression and now this week a physical.

Oh, Dr. Bash does not address mental/ptsd/depression. It is not in his scope pf practice at all but he does refer to another doctor if you need it. So far we're ok because all the doctors reports are stating PTSD they will have to verify my husbands stressors.

AND THE SAGA CONTINUES, we of course will keep you all posted. Thanks for all your help so far. We still have a long way to go.

Jangrin :unsure:

Edited by jangrin