Read VA Disability Claims Articles
Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• tbirds-va-claims-struggle (1).png

• 01-2024-stay-online-donate-banner.png

I Am Just Starting The Process

Rate this question

Futureretiree

Question

Good Morning all, By my handle you can tell I am still AD (Reservist) but retiring Oct 13th. I was AD AF from 1978-92, and then Guard/Reserves from 1994-present. During the last three years I have been on AD orders in support of Enduring Freedom. Having said all that, I am going to start working with the DAV next week on med issues. First let me tell you, I at first thought VA was for vets who were "Hurt" during service (I.E. war, mishaps etc) but not for folks like me who never saw combat. Thank God for our combat Vets. but as well for all who served. So, I have two sets of Active Duty medical records (78-92 & 02-06). When I got out in 92, they rushed me out and I never even knew to file for anything. Here is my situation:

'85 - Motorcycle wreck - documented lowerback/neck pains. Broke foot, large left leg wound. (Have had neck/back pains every since)

'86-'88 - Allergy Rhinitus/Sinusitus (BIG TIME) (On Flonase and claritin/Actifeds now)

'92 - Noted High Blood Pressure 150/99 a dozen times (possible Hypertension)

2004 - Officially Diagnosed for Hypertesion and treated with meds

2004 - High Cholesterol treated with meds

'04 - present Prozac X 2, Wellbutrin X 2 per day (depression).

'06 - (Diagnosed via MRI last week with Bone Spurs/pinched nerve cervical area. and 2 bulging disks in lower back)(went to Doc as left hand is numb all the time now)

'06 - Tinnitus (bilateral)

I realize that this is very sketchy, but I'd sure appreciate suggestions and advise.

QUESTION, How do I stress the depression, should I insist on seeing a shrink? Allergies are still an issue, but they are more controlled by self meds then they were in 86-88. What should I do over next five months before retirement? My scars on leg and thigh are about 8 inches long, but rarely pain associated. During the period of 1993-2002 I have no medical documentation as I self medicated or went to Drs just for pain meds etc (never same doc or location) Depression is documented by Doc, but not shrink, and Tinnitus is only dsocumented once (no treatment, just counseling.) I hate to claim all this, but it exists, and I don't want to be tough/be a man, and say nothing. We Served, We deserved. Thanks Brothers/Sisters

• Answers 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

6 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

futureretiree,

I do not have much time and will add stuff later. File a claim for social security. Social security only pays on severe disabilities. 100% or nothing. The bulging disc problem and loss of sensation in the hand was qualifying at the time I filed for SSD IN 1993. It would go quickest if you got an attorney to help you. However, if you do not get an attorney from the get go you can always wait until they deny it then get an attorney for the appeal.

The allergy problem is rateable by the VA. Usually they will argue it predated service if you were treated as a child. However if it got worse in the service then they can rate it. How it is rated is in the rating schedule. It can go as high as 30%.

You can also get the disc problem rated by the VA and get social security at the same time. As for depression any doctor can make a diagnosis. However, you will need to get what is called a GAF score to get an accurate rating for disability by the VA. Ask your doctor what the GAF score is or have him send you to a shrink to make the asseeement.

This is all just starters. The DAV should be able to assist. However, keep hadit posted. SO's can make mistakes. Take advantage of all resources available to you.

Hoppy

100% for Angioedema with secondary conditions.

• HadIt.com Elder

Learn patience and ask any and all questions, the only stupid question is the one you DON'T ask, (learned from Drill SGT in 1973 at age 18) best advice I was ever given. Remember you are dealing with the govt, and they have more ways to screw up than Kerry has Ketchup, learn and don't quit, it took me almost 4 years and I am still not done, do not QUIT that is how they win...good luck and ask anything you can think of, combat or not it takes all service members to make it happen, clerks, jerks and even cooks lol, I have respect for any and all who wore a uniform in service to this nation Coast Guard, Marines, Army, Air Force and yes even the Navy, even though I really hated them for the great chow they ALWAYS have lol just don't back down ask Tom Petty

100% SC P&T PTSD 100% CAD 10% Hypertension and A&A = SMC L, SSD
a disabled American veteran certified lol
"A journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step."

John, Testvet and Hoppy (and Berta), thanks for the support. And please don't stop, I welcome any and everything. I just got back from my AD physician. BP was elevated to 140/94 (which in itself is not bad, but I have been on BP meds for awhile, so suprized to see it elevated at all). I let him know that headaches were on going in back of head and requested a bottle of motrin at this time. Also let him know that ankle (miffle of left foot was aching). His suggestion was that it was arthritis from the broke foot in 1985. Said the motrin might help, try for now. He said that the depression might be assymetrical, and i could try to ween myself off from it, if I wanted, I told him no. Also let him know about the MRI results, but told him the official response from the MRI doc would not come till end of month during my next appt. He said he'll get the results and make sure it's documented. My current Doc also believes everything needs to be documented. I am sure if I push, he'll send me to a counselor or shrink, but I imagine DAV will do the same thing.

Bottom thing folks, I am ready to join the ranks of this family. Count on me for support, as i will share everything i learn, and hopefully soon I'll be able to help someone as much as I am being helped. Thanks for the continued responses.

• HadIt.com Elder

The headaches could be assiciated with the numb hand and arthritis in the cervical discs (neck). I was complaining about headaches in the back of my head for three years before a doctor made a diagnosis. The headaches were caused by cervical disc herniation. There is plenty of literature about this on the internet. Always get a doctor to back up any info you get from literature, if you are going to submit it to the VA.

Hoppy

100% for Angioedema with secondary conditions.

• In Memoriam

Before you retire, remember to get all of your medical records.

As for the depression. if you were diagnosed in service, you atr OK. Otherwise get a diagnosis and that it was incured in active service or ADT, which will be hard to do.

Alex