VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Being Investigated! Help!

Rate this question

Sabrina

Question

Hi Everyone,

I have been a lurker on here for many years and all of the information here has help me so many times understand the VA system.

I am a 32yo female veteran. I was discharged in 2001 after being diagnosed with avascular necrosis of the right femoral head, and having a fibula graft surgery to help correct it and postpone a hip replacement.

When I got out, I had no idea what the VA even was. I went there and had my exam, didn't know what to expect or even what the benefits were. I got a rating back of 80%, which is not 90%. I also have individual unemployability, and have for a few years. All of this is due to serious chronic pain. Some days are worse than others...but it definitly inhibits me holding a job. Life and how I am feeling is so inconsistent, that working full time would be impossible. Due to the chronic pain...I have developed serious depression and anxiety issues. So that is the just of it without getting into serious detail.

Well, last year sometime...a friend opened up a fitness studio. I have a degree in health and wellness and she asked for my help, a meeting of the minds you could say. I taught her how to put together classes and went to some of the classes to help instruct...but limited in how much I participated. I only could help out for about a month, and then had to stop, due to the extra activity, seriously aggravating my condition.

Well, it is almost a year later, and my friend from the studio called me saying that an investigator was in asking questions about me! Asking if I have ever sold her my pain medication!!!!!! I am so embarrassed! It is something I have NEVER done! And continued to ask if I ever showed any pain, and why I was even there in the first place.

Today she called again, and I guess he went to see 2 of her clients. I have no idea what he asked them. They do know of me, but hopefully they filled him on that I was only there for a short time due to my condition.

Mind you, I was never paid. She is just a good friend and it was a way for me to stay sane and interact with adults, rather than hiding at home all the time. (it is in my medical records that my doctor would like me to engage in meaningful activity/volunteer ect outside the home, for sanity purposs).

Ok...so I know I have not done anything wrong, but I am still freaking out!!!! I have 3 small children, ages 1, 3, and 5 and am married. I stay home with the little ones of course and really keep to myself.

I am really not sure how to approach these accusations. I called the VA here in Maine, patient advocates and my rep, and in their offices they see no reports of investigation, but he definitely showed his badge, and I know he is from the government.

The fact that I am being followed and spyed on gives me the creeps!

Not to mention this is messing with me emotionally. I know that if i have done nothing wrong, then I shouldn't have to worry right, then why do I still feel so awful!

I feel I am a victim of something. I have a couple people that I know dont care for me....and have a weird feeling I may be a victim of slander, but who's to say.

Any advice?

Losing my mind a bit.

Warmly,

Sabrina

• Answers 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Welcome to posting. Sorry but there really is not much you can do till you find out what they want. If it comes to nothing you will probably never hear a word from them.

Good Luck

• HadIt.com Elder

You might visit your congressman's office and make an official inquiry. As long as you were not getting paid and take your meds as directed you have done nothing wrong. Going to a gym is supposed to be good for chronic pain. I was told by pain management to get exercise. Do you even know it was a VA investigator. I never heard of the VA doing that. It might be police drug unit from your city or county. Maybe there was drug activity at this gym. The VA catches people via IRS or drug screens.

John999

Sabrina,

You say he showed a badge - did they happen to bother to get a business card

from him or anything like that ?

Could it be someone from Social Security ?

It sounds that it would be SSA and not VA.

Something sounds wrong here. The VAOIG will usually furnish you with a target letter. Also, what probative value would the special agent have in contacting your friends clients. If I were you, I would contact the VA OIG at 1-800-488-8244 and ask for a target letter if you are a subject of investigation you should be able to find out. If they say that there is no record of investigation then there probably is not one. If that is the case you need to report that someone is walking around with a VA OIG badge and asking about you and file a report on that. If however, you are in the wrong somehow and are just not fessing up to it here on the forum, you need to come to account as soon as possible. It can only help you in the long run. If they have something on you then they have something on you, you will not be able to obfuscate the facts once the dig starts. Regardless, you need to talk to a lawyer.

Hi Everyone,

I have been a lurker on here for many years and all of the information here has help me so many times understand the VA system.

I am a 32yo female veteran. I was discharged in 2001 after being diagnosed with avascular necrosis of the right femoral head, and having a fibula graft surgery to help correct it and postpone a hip replacement.

When I got out, I had no idea what the VA even was. I went there and had my exam, didn't know what to expect or even what the benefits were. I got a rating back of 80%, which is not 90%. I also have individual unemployability, and have for a few years. All of this is due to serious chronic pain. Some days are worse than others...but it definitly inhibits me holding a job. Life and how I am feeling is so inconsistent, that working full time would be impossible. Due to the chronic pain...I have developed serious depression and anxiety issues. So that is the just of it without getting into serious detail.

Well, last year sometime...a friend opened up a fitness studio. I have a degree in health and wellness and she asked for my help, a meeting of the minds you could say. I taught her how to put together classes and went to some of the classes to help instruct...but limited in how much I participated. I only could help out for about a month, and then had to stop, due to the extra activity, seriously aggravating my condition.

Well, it is almost a year later, and my friend from the studio called me saying that an investigator was in asking questions about me! Asking if I have ever sold her my pain medication!!!!!! I am so embarrassed! It is something I have NEVER done! And continued to ask if I ever showed any pain, and why I was even there in the first place.

Today she called again, and I guess he went to see 2 of her clients. I have no idea what he asked them. They do know of me, but hopefully they filled him on that I was only there for a short time due to my condition.

Mind you, I was never paid. She is just a good friend and it was a way for me to stay sane and interact with adults, rather than hiding at home all the time. (it is in my medical records that my doctor would like me to engage in meaningful activity/volunteer ect outside the home, for sanity purposs).

Ok...so I know I have not done anything wrong, but I am still freaking out!!!! I have 3 small children, ages 1, 3, and 5 and am married. I stay home with the little ones of course and really keep to myself.

I am really not sure how to approach these accusations. I called the VA here in Maine, patient advocates and my rep, and in their offices they see no reports of investigation, but he definitely showed his badge, and I know he is from the government.

The fact that I am being followed and spyed on gives me the creeps!

Not to mention this is messing with me emotionally. I know that if i have done nothing wrong, then I shouldn't have to worry right, then why do I still feel so awful!

I feel I am a victim of something. I have a couple people that I know dont care for me....and have a weird feeling I may be a victim of slander, but who's to say.

Any advice?

Losing my mind a bit.

Warmly,

Sabrina

If that is the case you need to report that someone is walking around with a VA OIG badge and asking about you and file a report on that.

psyopOIF,

Nothing in the post states this "investigator" was with the VA or that it was a VA OIG badge.

Sabrina - if I were a client of your friends I would be pissed - here I am in a business relationship with her

and she is giving out my private information. She just needs to zip it !

Sabrina - you didn't post what his "badge" was related to, so what would leave you to feel he is from the government ?

The question he asked about " Asking if I have ever sold her my pain medication!!!!!! " sounds more like

a DEA officer.