Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• tbirds-va-claims-struggle (1).png

• 01-2024-stay-online-donate-banner.png

Smc Housebound For Ptsd Denied

Rate this question

MikeS

Question

Hi all:

Rating increased from 70% TDIU for PTSD to 100% scheduler for PTSD with Panic Disorder with Agoraphobia and Depressive Disorder.

Housebound denied.

Housebound was denied because I keep my VAOC appointments. I thought my VAOC appointments do not go against my claim for Housebound.

Housebound was denied because I try to go with my wife to a grocery store once a month. The C&P examiner wrote that I do go to the grocery store once a month but what I told him was that I "try" to go with my wife, "not alone".

Housebound was denied because a recent Progress Note from my VA PTSD Doc said that I go to a gym. What my PTSD VA Doc really wrote was that I tried to go to the gym but I could not stay because I paniced. My VA PTSD Doc failed to put in that note that that was 2 years ago.

You guys might want to know that my Housebound C&P was done by a CRNP. She told me that she had no idea how to explain that a vet with PTSD can be Housebound, so she told me that she just would "cut & paste" my VA PTSD Doc's Progress Notes because she said that he explained my situation better that she ever could. Still, she answered the question: "Can veteran travel beyond current domicile?" as YES.

I only have 60 days from March 27th to appeal the Housebound denial because I signed up for the ECA Initiative.

Any guidance would be appreciated.

P.S. Even though I applied "only" for Housebound, my entire file was reviewed including all Nexus information.

Thanks,

MikeS

• Answers 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Some other thoughts about agoraphobia is that not all agoraphobics have the same fears. What happens is that over time we try to avoid situations or places that cause panic attacks. I know some that can go shopping and are still agoraphobics cause they cannot go to a restaurant, or a movie or deal with standing in line or as the classic definition fear of open spaces.

Reading on the person who did your C&P is unqualified. Since you did get 100% at least you can decide the best way and if I was in your shoes I would ask for a Hearing with a DRO as soon as possible.

The VA should be ashamed for putting unqualified examiners in the first place. Cut and paste is not an opinion.

Veterans deserve real choice for their health care.

Some other thoughts about agoraphobia is that not all agoraphobics have the same fears. What happens is that over time we try to avoid situations or places that cause panic attacks. I know some that can go shopping and are still agoraphobics cause they cannot go to a restaurant, or a movie or deal with standing in line or as the classic definition fear of open spaces.

Reading on the person who did your C&P is unqualified. Since you did get 100% at least you can decide the best way and if I was in your shoes I would ask for a Hearing with a DRO as soon as possible.

The VA should be ashamed for putting unqualified examiners in the first place. Cut and paste is not an opinion.

Pete:

I was thinking the same thing about a DRO.

It seems to me that the nurse was more qualified to perform an A&A for veterans with physical disabilities than with veterans with PTSD.

Which leads me to another problem that I have with a Housebound C&P. I came away from the C&P feeling guilty because I do not have physical disabilities and feeling badf for all the vets who are physically disabled.

I really do not know who should do a Housebound C&P for vets with severe PTSD.

Thanks,

MikeS

• HadIt.com Elder

Mike physical injuries are one thing but you have emotional scars and are as deserving as anyone else.

If there is one thing to remember all you can be responsible for is you and the VA is responsible for all of us

Veterans deserve real choice for their health care.

That is very true Pete! I was awarded SMC s because my heart was 100% and my PTSD and others added up to well way over what is required.

Mike is your only SC the PTSD? You obviously are having a very hard time dealing with this and the VA can be hard to deal with. I wonder if there is an exam sheet that she was supposed to follow during the C&P? Anyone know? I know for a fact there is a sheet for just about all of our illnesses but not sure if there is a specific one for Housebound?

That is very true Pete! I was awarded SMC s because my heart was 100% and my PTSD and others added up to well way over what is required.

Mike is your only SC the PTSD? You obviously are having a very hard time dealing with this and the VA can be hard to deal with. I wonder if there is an exam sheet that she was supposed to follow during the C&P? Anyone know? I know for a fact there is a sheet for just about all of our illnesses but not sure if there is a specific one for Housebound?

There is an exam sheet that she used but the problem is that it is primarily an Aid & Assistance worksheet. The only Housebound question is question #33 out of 34 questions on VA Form 21-2680. It states: "Describe how often per day or week and under what circumstance the claimant is able to leave the home or premises".

The nurse did explain that I have a real problem leaving my home but she did not commit to saying that I am Housebound. She did not say that I wasn't either.