• Donation Box

Please donate to support the community.
    We appreciate all donations!
  • Advertisemnt

• 14 Questions about VA Disability Compensation Benefits Claims

questions-001@3x.png

When a Veteran starts considering whether or not to file a VA Disability Claim, there are a lot of questions that he or she tends to ask. Over the last 10 years, the following are the 14 most common basic questions I am asked about ...
    Continue Reading

• Ads

• Most Common VA Disabilities Claimed for Compensation:   

tinnitus-005.pngptsd-005.pnglumbosacral-005.pngscars-005.pnglimitation-flexion-knee-005.pngdiabetes-005.pnglimitation-motion-ankle-005.pngparalysis-005.pngdegenerative-arthitis-spine-005.pngtbi-traumatic-brain-injury-005.png

• Advertisemnt

• Advertisemnt

• Ads

• Can a 100 percent Disabled Veteran Work and Earn an Income?

employment 2.jpeg

You’ve just been rated 100% disabled by the Veterans Affairs. After the excitement of finally having the rating you deserve wears off, you start asking questions. One of the first questions that you might ask is this: It’s a legitimate question – rare is the Veteran that finds themselves sitting on the couch eating bon-bons … Continue reading

Sponsored Ads

•  ad-free-subscription-002.jpeg     fund-the-site.jpg

• Searches Community Forums, Blog and more

Sign in to follow this  
pete992

“Presumptive” Disability Benefits For Certain Groups Of Veterans

Question

What is "Presumptive" Service Connection?

VA presumes that specific disabilities diagnosed in certain veterans were caused by their military service. VA does this because of the unique circumstances of their military service. If one of these conditions is diagnosed in a veteran in one of these groups, VA presumes that the circumstances of his/her service caused the condition, and disability compensation can be awarded.

What Conditions are "Presumed" to be Caused by Military Service?

Veterans in the groups identified below: Entitlement to disability compensation may be presumed under the circumstances described and for the conditions listed.

Veterans within one year of release from active duty: Veterans diagnosed with chronic diseases(such as arthritis, diabetes, or hypertension) are encouraged to apply for disability compensation.

Veterans with continuous service of 90 days or more: Veterans diagnosed with amyotrophic lateralsclerosis (ALS)/Lou Gehrig's disease at any time after discharge or release from qualifying active service is sufficient to establish service connection for the disease, if the veteran had active, continuous service of 90 days or more.

Former Prisoners of War

(1) Imprisoned for any length of time, and disability at least 10 percent disabling:

· psychosis

· any of the anxiety states

· dysthymic disorder

· organic residuals of frostbite

· post-traumatic osteoarthritis

· heart disease or hypertensive vascular disease and their complications

· stroke and its residuals

(2) Imprisoned for at least 30 days, and disability at least 10 percent disabling:

· avitaminosis

· beriberi

· chronic dysentery

· helminthiasis

· malnutrition (including optic atrophy)

· pellagra

· any other nutritional deficiency

· irritable bowel syndrome

· peptic ulcer disease

· peripheral neuropathy

· cirrhosis of the liver

Vietnam Veterans (Exposed to Agent Orange)

Served in the Republic of Vietnam between 1/9/62 and 5/7/75:

· chloracne or other acneform disease similar to chloracne*

· porphyria cutanea tarda*

· soft-tissue sarcoma (other than osteosarcoma, chondrosarcoma, Kaposi's sarcoma or mesothelioma)

· Hodgkin's disease

· multiple myeloma

· respiratory cancers (lung, bronchus, larynx, trachea)

· non-Hodgkin's lymphoma

· prostate cancer

· acute and subacute peripheral neuropathy*

· type 2 diabetes

· chronic lymphocytic leukemia

*Must become manifest to a degree of 10 percent or more within a year after the last date on which the veteran was exposed to an herbicide agent during active military, naval, or air service.

Atomic Veterans (Exposed to Ionizing Radiation)

Participated in atmospheric nuclear testing; occupied or was a POW in Hiroshima or Nagasaki; service before 2/1/92 at a diffusion plant in Paducah, KY, Portsmouth, OH, or Oak Ridge, TN; or service before 1/1/74 at Amchitka Island, AK:

· all forms of leukemia (except for chronic lymphocytic leukemia)

· cancer of the thyroid, breast, pharynx, esophagus, stomach, small intestine, pancreas, bile ducts, gall bladder, salivary gland, urinary tract (kidneys, renal pelves, ureters, urinary bladder and urethra), brain, bone, lung, colon, ovary

· bronchiolo-alveolar carcinoma

· multiple myeloma

· lymphomas (other than Hodgkin's disease)

· primary liver cancer (except if cirrhosis or hepatitis B is indicated)

Gulf War Veterans (Undiagnosed Illness)

Served in the Southwest Asia Theater of Operations during the Gulf War with condition at least 10 percent disabling by 12/31/11. Included are medically unexplained chronic multi-symptom illnesses defined by a cluster of signs or symptoms that have existed for six months or more, such as:

· chronic fatigue syndrome

· fibromyalgia

· irritable bowel syndrome

· any diagnosed or undiagnosed illness that the Secretary of Veterans Affairs determines warrants a presumption of service connection

Signs or symptoms of an undiagnosed illness include: fatigue, skin symptoms, headaches, muscle pain, joint pain, neurological symptoms, respiratory symptoms, sleep disturbance, GI symptoms, cardiovascular symptoms, weight loss, menstrual disorders

2 answers to this question

Guest terrysturgis

Pete992, good post. I believe that there are some new presumptives under Viet Nam, Agent Orange. IHD for an example. Not picking, just saying. Thank you for helping veterans. Terry

Ad

Pete992, good post. I believe that there are some new presumptives under Viet Nam, Agent Orange. IHD for an example. Not picking, just saying. Thank you for helping veterans. Terry

Yes, but this online facts sheet has not been updated.