Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• tbirds-va-claims-struggle (1).png

• 01-2024-stay-online-donate-banner.png

Upcoming Complicated Multiple C&ps, Please Advise

Rate this question

Rivet Joint

Question

Hello everyone,

Here's a little backround info as this is my first post; I submitted an FDC (for Hemiplegic Migraine with secondary left hand and face parasthesias, Intractable Chronic Migraine, PTSD, Shoulder Injury, and Wrist Injury) online on April 7, received a paper confirmation letter dated 9 April 15, and then didn't hear anything until this friday when FedEx delivered two packages with instructions to report for C&P exams on June 9th (migraines) and June 18th (PTSD) both outsourced to VES.

I did try to get help (PTSD symptoms) at the Phoenix VA hospital a while back as a walk in, and was told there was no one there, (not no one available, actually no one present) and to come back another time. I also tried to use the online system to get an appointment, but never heard anything. Since my husbands insurance covers me, I went private instead and for the past two years the Mayo Clinic has been my PCP. I submitted all of my relevant records from Mayo along with copies of my service medical records in the FDC.

The first C&P is with a PA. When I called the number on the form to confirm the appointment I was told it's for "migraines." When I looked through the forms etc I see that I meet the criteria for 50% ratings for both migraines AND hemiplegic migraines independently (both are definitely prostrating, both occur multiple times a week, and both interfere with my ability to maintain employment). Anyone who has ever had a hemiplegic migraine (which is almost no one, they're pretty rare) knows that they are a VERY different beast from "regular" migraines. They also have different diagnostic codes and different treatments, therefore IMO they should be considered separately, which is why I also assume the VA will try to lump them together.

I have an appointment with my neurologist at Mayo this Friday, and he's already said he'll fill out any forms I need. I'm thinking I'll ask him to fill out the DBQ forms, but do two separate migraine forms, one for each type, and also the appropriate DBQ for the parasthesia. But I'm assuming I'd still go to the PA for the C&P unless otherwise notified after faxing in the DBQ's.

As far as the PTSD goes, I was diagnosed by the psychiatrist at Mayo which was in the records I submitted. He also stated that it was a direct result of my first hemiplegic migraine, which happened while flying over Afghanistan (we declared an IFE but were not allowed to divert the aircraft) and I thought I was dying of a stroke, which I relive every time I have one. So would this scheduled C&P on the 18th be the initial since the diagnosis wasn't made by the VA? Or would this count as a review? I also noticed the examiner is a PhD not an MD, should I be worried about that? Should I ask my psychologist at Mayo (the initial eval was by the psychiatrist, but I have regular sessions with the psychologist there to help with anxiety) to do the DBQ form for PTSD review? I also cited a second stressor event in the claim, but due to the nature of te job I can't give any details at all, how does classified material get handled in these cases?

I haven't heard anything about the shoulder and wrist issues yet, but they're both well documented in my service records, so hopefully I'll get notice that something has been scheduled soon. Is there anything else I should be doing in the meantime?

Thanks in advance

And your Earned Income is? If more than $12,400, IU could be a real problem. Then comes your education, college degree = should be able to do Sedentary work that would produce "SGI" as far as VA raters are concerned. You need a Professional Vocational Councilors opinion as to why your unemployed or under employed. Probably need an opinion as to you actually being IU do to your SC conditions from a Professional Employment Councilor, VA Voc Rehab is a free and excellent source.

Semper Fi

Gastone

I'll definitely look into getting an opinion from a professional employment councilor, that's an excellent idea. I'm definitely under the $12,400 threshold for IU. Frankly I would love to do even sedentary work, but even that is impossible during a migraine (I'm not safe to even move, can't speak even if I could actually remember my name, blind in one eye, and usually throwing up on myself), and with the arthritis in my right wrist and loss of sensation in my left hand dexterity has become an issue.

An update on the exams, both C&Ps went well. The PA who did the migraine one actually had me approve her language on both the form and her opinion section to make sure I felt it was correct. The PTSD one was tougher (emotionally, we had to take some time outs because I started crying) but I think it was clear that I'm basically a little anxious ball of fear and stress that barely sleeps and has no remaining social life.

But I haven't heard a peep from the VA, and the ebenefits site shows 'gathering evidence' with an estimated completion between August 2016 and April 2017!

Have you or can you, file for IU before you get a Decision on the claims currently being rated by the VA??? Your pretty fracked up with multiple, possible SC conditions. Am I right in that you don't currently have a VA SC Rating of even 0%?

VA Regs require certain SC% rating for a Vet to file for IU, we understand that. Then there is the Extra-Scheduler IU, where the Vet doesn't meet the SC% requirement but in the raters opinion, the Vets SC% doesn't actually mirror the vet's actual SC Disability picture.

What happens when a Vet, such as yourself, has multiple claims submitted, that a decision has not been made and the VA receives another SC claim from the Vet?? My understanding of VA Regs, indicates that the New SC Claim has to be combined with the existing claims for consideration, not looked at as a separate stand alone claim.

What would happen if you filed an IU FDC Claim while your current claims are pending? I think it would have to be combined with your Open Claim. I would include a "Sworn Affidavit" attesting to your less than "SGI" Employment status and include any and all Documentation, IRS 1040's etc. The VA already has all your SC Medical Evidence, right. Even if this move added a few extra months to your final award, does that really matter. I think it's worth a shot, why wait to get an "Inferred IU Claim" notification with your upcoming, mid to high SC% award? You would then have to file the IU Claim and wait 6 to 12 months for a determination.

A VSO-Rep might tell you, you can't file for the IU without a Rating. I don't like the word "CAN'T." You would be better served, filing the FDC Claim yourself, on your E-Ben site. Scan and attach copies of all your supporting Evidence including the Notarized "Sworn Affidavit." Then sit back and wait, I think you'll have all bases covered.

Semper Fi

Gastone

Were you DQ'ed for performance (ie- Q-3'ed checkrides, incident, etc) or was it a medical disqualification? If it was medical, there may be some info in your ARMS docs or your flight records. A medical 'code 3' is essentially an administrative function managed by SARMS. If it was 'for cause', AEB and all that ruckus, then there will be a paper trail on that, too (as well as whatever is in your FEF). You may find info there that could be used for your PTSD.

I was medically disqualified, but had a waiver for UAVs, and I know there was a pretty wide paper trail in the end. Previous to that, I took a medical waiver to keep flying earlier in my career. The first waiver was in AMC and the second in AFSOC, Both went up to Command SG, so there was essentially a package put together by all the docs involved and 'typed up' by my flight doc. They are all in my service medical records in narrative form. The second time, when I had to leave the plane for good due to loss of grip strength and loss of range of motion and meds was also coordinated at Command levels because of where I was and how few flight engineers there are in general, but especially for my SEI aircraft variant. I know you had less tails than us, so I am sure it blipped on the radar with your Command as well.

I know a little bit about your airframe and know some people who flew with you and with us as well. There are higher levels of stress in the flying communities compared to some others and we all learn how to compartmentalize our issues and lock them away until later. You can't think about an argument with your spouse, etc, and perform at a high level in the AC, as your expected to every flight, so we adapt. This makes us great chameleons, but it causes things to build up and we have to deal with them eventually. Keep working on opening all those boxes you packed away in the back of your mind. I find as I do, it is easier to get out of my old identity as the "crusty engineer" always barking at people even though I don't realize it.

I don't think many people realize the stress involved in the military flying world. I remember doing some Day VMC work on a TAC line with a new (to us and our variant) Instructor Nav and he messed something up and had us almost a minute late to our DZ. Our CC was onboard (also a Nav) and was doing his fam flight and local indoc. The 'new guy' got an earful from the CC and it wasn't pretty. We had a mx issue and had to RTB, so I thought he was saved, even though the next couple of months would be hell for him. He was "sat down" and they were putting together a local training regime to get him to where we needed him to be to execute our O-Plan, but when they did that, he broke. That IN never flew a Talon again, wasted 6-9 months of painful differences training at the schoolhouse as well as beginning 'remedial' local training. I used to find him in back offices in our building with the lights off crying...a grown man with multiple tours in the desert. I didn't get to know him well enough to try and help so the best I could do was let the shirt know he was having issues (they have a better toolbox for those types of problems) and pretended I didn't see it. They made him a Logistics Officer over the next couple months. It is a tough business, we're not all zipper-suited Sun Gods living in nice hotels and partying like some people think. We do, however,like to eat our own, right?

Edited by TALON II FE