Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Approved First Time!

Rate this question

SouthpawVet

Question

I got back from deployment in 2012 and I went back to work right away. That only lasted a few weeks. I didn't want to admit it but something was seriously wrong. So I have been seeking treatment form the VA for my PTSD since 2013. I am on meds and I have went to cognitive therapy, group therapy and anything else they had to offer that I thought would help. I filed for disability through the VA at the end of 2013 or beginning of 2014. When I was eventually rated they said I was 50% for PTSD (80% overall). I appealed. Just went to another C&P exam about six months ago. Their answer was that I am still 50%. So they sent me a Statement of the Case. One of the reasons they said I didn't meet Individual Unemployablity is that I am not receiving Social Security Disability. I didn't know I was supposed to apply up to this point. Well, my wife and I went to the SS office and applied for me. Got a call last week that they decided that I am disabled and they want my wife to oversee my account. That's fine with me. We have been married since 1995.

Anyway I am waiting for the letter. Glad I finally caught a break. Oh and the people at the SS office were so nice and thanked me for my service several times (unlike the VA). I think one thing that helped me is that I have a file about two inches thick of medical records for the VA!

Congrats on the great news bud. My SSDI was approved in 8 weeks which is damn near impossible in the state of Texas. Also since you are a Post 9/11 Vet you can apply for the VA Caregiver program. It is where the VA pays your wife to take care of you. Now it is not the easiest program to get approved for. The VA pays my wife 2K a month on the Highest Tier, but I have alot of health issues. Good luck and hope you have a good weekend.

100% PTSD

100% Back

60% Bladder Issues

50% Migraines 
30% Crohn's Disease

30% R Shoulder

20% Radiculopathy, Left lower    10% Radiculopathy, Right lower 
10% L Knee  10% R Knee Surgery 2005&2007
10% Asthma
10% Tinnitus
10% Damage of Cranial Nerve II

10% Scars

SMC S

SMC K

OEF/OIF VET     100% VA P&T, Post 911 Caregiver, SSDI

2 hours ago, SouthpawVet said:

I got back from deployment in 2012 and I went back to work right away. That only lasted a few weeks. I didn't want to admit it but something was seriously wrong. So I have been seeking treatment form the VA for my PTSD since 2013. I am on meds and I have went to cognitive therapy, group therapy and anything else they had to offer that I thought would help. I filed for disability through the VA at the end of 2013 or beginning of 2014. When I was eventually rated they said I was 50% for PTSD (80% overall). I appealed. Just went to another C&P exam about six months ago. Their answer was that I am still 50%. So they sent me a Statement of the Case. One of the reasons they said I didn't meet Individual Unemployablity is that I am not receiving Social Security Disability. I didn't know I was supposed to apply up to this point. Well, my wife and I went to the SS office and applied for me. Got a call last week that they decided that I am disabled and they want my wife to oversee my account. That's fine with me. We have been married since 1995.

Anyway I am waiting for the letter. Glad I finally caught a break. Oh and the people at the SS office were so nice and thanked me for my service several times (unlike the VA). I think one thing that helped me is that I have a file about two inches thick of medical records for the VA!

Congratulations,  but it's of my opinion that you don't let any agency let your wife manage all your affairs or rate you incompetent.   At least, if you're capable of writing a check and/or managing your affairs.  You'll regret it later.  Especially, if you'd like to exercise your 2nd amendment right.

Edited by MPsgt

• HadIt.com Elder

If he is like me   my spouse and I  throw everything together and pay bills out of the same bank account my VA comp & SS and her SS goes to the same Bank account...after the Bills are paid  not much left 

I am not an Attorney or VSO, any advice I provide is not to be construed as legal advice, therefore not to be held out for liable BUCK!!!

The old Joint Bank Account deal is OK, as long as the VA never jumps ugly with a Fiduciary Appointment. Direct Deposit Account goes into lock down, until the Fiduciary is appointed, even if it ends up being your Wife.

Myself, being self-employed for past 40 yrs, always wanted my wife held as an "Innocent Spouse," if something went wrong. I always had her listed as the Primary Beneficiary and as the POA on my personal and Business Accounts. Really just legal BS but rather safe than sorry, right.

Telling your VA Dr that your wife pays all your bills from a joint account, could cause a Rater to propose a Fiduciary appoint process, not good.

Semper Fi