VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

VA Psychologist not reporting

Rate this question

jamesriley1990

Question

Reluctantly I have been seeking treatment at the VA for my PTSD.  I was reading over the notes of my psychologist and she did a PTSD screening of me and she is misreporting or not reporting things that I stated during our last session. I told her that I was having nightmares about being in the military and that all I could remember was I was feeling scared and angry and during recent events, I felt as if I was reliving my past experiences. What can I do in this situation? 

• HadIt.com Elder

Vet centers are ok for veterans...but all  veterans will need a PTSD diagnosis from the VA  To be service connected ,  VA  will only accept an VA Diagnoses Only.

• Lead Moderator
3 minutes ago, Buck52 said:

Vet centers are ok for veterans...but all  veterans will need a PTSD diagnosis from the VA  To be service connected ,  VA  will only accept an VA Diagnoses Only.

you are correct.  I think working and going to the VA as much as they require is almost impossible to hold a job.

• HadIt.com Elder

Are you taking psychiatric meds for your PTSD?  To get a rating of 50% or more you  must be taking meds for anxiety, depression, sleep disorder etc.  The VA thinks that if you are not taking loads of psychiatric meds you are not suffering from a mental health condition.  I know that most PTSD vets self-medicate with alcohol.  When you go for a VA pension exam you need to be well fortified with evidence that you are taking meds and experiencing most  if not all of the classic PTSD symptoms.  I think the VA reluctantly diagnoses PTSD these days.  They know that a vet with severe PTSD is probably going to be disabled for the rest of his/her life.  They want to DX you with Adjustment Disorder or some mild for of anxiety or depressive disorder.  Look at what is required to get a rating of 70%.  Those are severe symptoms.  You must represent those symptoms when you go for your VA C&P exam. 

Everyone is right that VA must DX PTSD for it to be valid.  However, other diagnosed conditions that can get you 100% or IU such as MDD or Schizophrenia don't require a just a VA DX.  It does not matter how you get your 50%-100%.  Just get it. The more time between the ending of the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan the harder it will be to get higher ratings for PTSD etc.  in my opinion.  Everyone forgets especially the VA and the public.  If you have combat awards it will be much easier to get PTSD DX.  It is almost a given but still the VA is tricky.

15 hours ago, john999 said:

Are you taking psychiatric meds for your PTSD?  To get a rating of 50% or more you  must be taking meds for anxiety, depression, sleep disorder etc.  The VA thinks that if you are not taking loads of psychiatric meds you are not suffering from a mental health condition.  I know that most PTSD vets self-medicate with alcohol.  When you go for a VA pension exam you need to be well fortified with evidence that you are taking meds and experiencing most  if not all of the classic PTSD symptoms.  I think the VA reluctantly diagnoses PTSD these days.  They know that a vet with severe PTSD is probably going to be disabled for the rest of his/her life.  They want to DX you with Adjustment Disorder or some mild for of anxiety or depressive disorder.  Look at what is required to get a rating of 70%.  Those are severe symptoms.  You must represent those symptoms when you go for your VA C&P exam. 

Everyone is right that VA must DX PTSD for it to be valid.  However, other diagnosed conditions that can get you 100% or IU such as MDD or Schizophrenia don't require a just a VA DX.  It does not matter how you get your 50%-100%.  Just get it. The more time between the ending of the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan the harder it will be to get higher ratings for PTSD etc.  in my opinion.  Everyone forgets especially the VA and the public.  If you have combat awards it will be much easier to get PTSD DX.  It is almost a given but still the VA is tricky.

I have been diagnosed with Insomnia (VA diagnosis) and Sleep Apnea (Private diagnosis) I have been drinking every night for probably 8 years so I can sleep at night. I have said I wanted to speak with a psychiatrist to get sleeping aid, I thought I would be referred but I am guessing now I need to make the appointment.

8 hours ago, jamesriley1990 said:

I have been diagnosed with Insomnia (VA diagnosis) and Sleep Apnea (Private diagnosis) I have been drinking every night for probably 8 years so I can sleep at night. I have said I wanted to speak with a psychiatrist to get sleeping aid, I thought I would be referred but I am guessing now I need to make the appointment.

If you have been drinking every night to sleep you have a problem.  Go to your VA doctor or social worker and tell them that you drink every night to sleep and they should refer you to help.  This is one of the signs of PTSD.  Good luck.  If they want you to take a trip to the flight deck (locked ward) for two weeks, it usually helps.  I have been there, I had to take vacation time but it worked out good for me in the end.

Edited by vetquest