Read VA Disability Claims Articles
Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• tbirds-va-claims-struggle (1).png

• 01-2024-stay-online-donate-banner.png

100% Tdiu ? About Schooling

Rate this question

KennyJ

Question

Now that I am 100%TDIU (no T&P yet) I have been considering taking an online college course to use all this excess time. I am 70% dysthymia(chronic anxiety) 20% arthritis left knee, 10% right knee, 10% ankles, 80% total. My question is would it be wise for me to take an online course and how would the VA interpret this. My depression states that I can't work with other people but this would be at home and isolated. Does the VA fund online courses? Would this make them consider any new future exams? Any help appreciated.

• Answers 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

5 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder
Now that I am 100%TDIU (no T&P yet) I have been considering taking an online college course to use all this excess time. I am 70% dysthymia(chronic anxiety) 20% arthritis left knee, 10% right knee, 10% ankles, 80% total. My question is would it be wise for me to take an online course and how would the VA interpret this. My depression states that I can't work with other people but this would be at home and isolated. Does the VA fund online courses? Would this make them consider any new future exams? Any help appreciated.

Kenny, the ability to take classes does not equate to the ability to work, however successful completion of classes would make you more educated and SSDI could be effected, somewhere down the road. I attended 3 yrs at a community college and subsequently won both 100% from VA and SSDI, for that same period. Don't know on the other questions.

If you are looking for VA financial help- they will pay your tuition and books and also a stipend to you under Voc Rehab education services- info available at the VA web site-I think you have to enroll for two or more courses, matriculate, and of course choose a VA approved school.

However, after what my husband went through- after his first Voc Rehab semester the VA considered him a rocket scientist and tried to drop his comp.

I strongly suggest veteran- that you consider a course but pay for it yourself.

There are many courses on line not even involving colleges and major tuition fees.

I started taking one on Lakota and Wampanoag Native American languages for free.

Or even better the NVLSP course is about 150? 200 bucks dont know-

this is the same Basic training course that vet reps (DAV, AL, VVA, state reps take) there is also a seminar if you are interested in actual claims representation and the VA can possibly accredit you.

I heard they accredit non reps with just a few questions-bur dont know for sure on that-

and you can go on as the POA on a claim for a vet.

I took this course in 1998 and intend to take an updated version as soon as I finish my AMU degree-

It cannot possibly cover all there is involving claims issues but if you consider helping vets with claims- they will send you a nice Certificate after you complete and pass the course work.

They do fund online schools -I am VA Chap 35 student-on line-but in my opinion-

VA could say -if you can use a PC for online school (and believe me it involves considerable technical knowledge of PCs and Excel, Word, Power Point presentations, research search abilities,using floppys alot, DVDs of lectures,etc etc ) ----they could try to say you are employable.

Also you could possibly need Procters for exams meaning you would have to leave your home to take the exam with a proctor at another college or a library.Depends on school and courses.

GRADUATE ! Nov 2nd 2007 American Military University !

When thousands of Americans faced annihilation in the 1800s Chief

Osceola's response to his people, the Seminoles, was

simply "They(the US Army)have guns, but so do we."

Sameo to us -They (VA) have 38 CFR ,38 USC, and M21-1- but so do we.

• HadIt.com Elder

Kenny

Take a course but don't tell the VA or use Voc Rehab. No one has to know about your taking a few classes.

Umm Voc Rehab will do an evaluation and see if you are "rehabable"... hehe that the second time in a week that word has come up. They are required to establish goals, etc. to justify the expense... however under Voc Rehab is a program call Independent Living Services, and if ... as a hobby... you want to take online courses... well depending upon you case worker they'll provide the computer, desk, surge protector, printer, etc etc etc....

I'd look into that. They came across with a computer and stuff for me, a powered recliner... jeez a bunch of stuff... so, look into tat program ... and online study to increase your contact with the outside world... as a hobby...

Bob Smith

Just make sure that add a spell checker... cause as you can see they left one out of mine.... HAW! I'm just too lazy to use it... actually I just noticed it up there in the corner... ya learn somthing evry day dont ya.

Bob Smith