VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

How Is Tinnitus Tested By The Va For Compensation Purposes?

Rate this question

ArmyVet97B

Question

I am trying to understand how I will be tested for tinnitus by the VA. I have a pending compensation claim for hearing loss and tinnitus (and a couple other things) that is in stage 5 (preparation for decision). I am now awaiting a C&P exam (I believe). I am already S/C for shoulder and lower back (20% total). How is tinnitus tested by the VA to receive the 10% rating? I served in OEF and have a Combat Action Badge (all on my DD214). I have hearing loss, but what happens if I pass as “normal” for hearing loss. I have occasional ringing in both ears from OEF (artillery/heavy machine guns/IED’s), and it has gotten worse over time. My tinnitus came later after I had separated from the US Army. I am trying to understand how I am tested for tinnitus to received the 10%, even if I get 0% for hearing loss (which I have heard is very difficult to get above 0% for hearing loss). With my claim I submitted my civilian primary care physician’s professional opinion that I could definitely have/probably do have hearing loss and tinnitus from combat. I have read/heard differing opinions, and I am just trying to find a straight answer to how tinnitus is tested for by the VA (since I see that some vets get 0% for hearing loss, but 10% for tinnitus). And what are my chances of getting the 10% for tinnitus even if I get 0% for hearing loss? Great, good, not good, etc? Please help. Thank you.

SAX, "just Certified to Board," without a Hardship Bump, probably early 18 before your Hearing. What did you request, Travel, Video or DC? Did you use either DRO Appeal Process?

The original Rater's reason for the Tinnitus Denial?

Any chance you could post a redacted copy of the Tinnitus Denial or SOC, could be very informative for AV97B as well as the rest of us.

Sounds like AV97B main problem is the length of time after seperation, before onset of symptoms.

Most Nam Vets that I know with SC for Tinnitus, myself included, noticed a low freq buzz/hum within a year of rotating home. Usually only noticeable when there was no other distracting sounds. Progressed over the years to a constant, much louder & more distracting hum/buzz. Really don't recall any Vet indicating an actual "Ringing" sound.

Heading towards page 15!

Semper Fi

There's not a test for Tinnitus , but what you tell them will determine what you receive, Ringing started in Vietnam and continues to this day rings all the time. Always used ear plugs where I worked.  

• HadIt.com Elder
  • Tinnitus is a "subjective" complaint that is corroborated by high frequency tones in the Audiogram.  If a person cannot hear high frequencies or often pushes the button for having heard the high frequency tone when there is none.  As a subjective complaint there is no definitive test only the indication that the complaint is probably true.
  • My tinnitus is constant and severe enough that I cannot pass hearing exams for fork lift operators licenses or other equipment operating permits that require you to be able to hear the high frequency beeps of another forklift or vehicle backing up, etc.  Because it eliminates a lot of employment opportunities that a person might otherwise be able to get  I'm asking that I be rated at 30% as the standard for "a definite industrial handicap."  Tinnitus is not correctable by a hearing aid that magnifies sound even for the high frequencies without doing so for low frequencies.  The tinnitus masks the high frequency tones especially where there are other background noises.
  • Have absolute proof that is the case.  An EENT Consult while I was in the Navy after failing a forklift operator's hearing test.  Missed the backing up beep several times without realizing it.

I just had my claim approved for Tinnitus and the C&P doctor ( non va) did a pressure test on both of my ears. The one that has the ringing seemed to have less back pressure than the other that doesn’t have the ringing. I asked if the pressure was supposed to make you dizzy! All he said was that it could do that. My good ear is the one that got me dizzy when the pressure was applied! Then he did the normal hearing test. Next was the tell him what the main word was in the sentence. I’m not sure if that pressure test was to test for the Tinnitus?

Edited by silverdollar22

• HadIt.com Elder

SilverDollar22,

Although This is an old thred. (4 years old)

I never heard of a test like this for tinnitus  it must be something new?

Tinnitus is a "subjective" complaint that is corroborated by high frequency tones in the Audiogram

Back in my day for hearing loss and tinnitus I had to tell the audiologist about the ringing humming sounds in my head  My sounds were sounds like crickets on a river late evening sitting in my living room and the sounds are worse after going to bed, the sounds will be different per each individual And most of the time the sounds are constant.  this is known now as Tinnitus  both ears are rated but only a 10% rating will be given for both ears,not just one ear. 

I understand about the AIR bone conduction test as this is the pressure testing for hearing loss  they test both ears and also test them separate. I Forget the exact name for it..

This must be a new way they test for tinnitus now days? I never knew this.

Hearing loss is one of the compensation claims that is very hard to get a rating for  unless your damn near deaf. ANYTHING ABOVE 10% if you get service connected for hearing loss at 0%  that's a good start because your hearing will get worse over the years.  when it does file for your increase.

Edited by Buck52

• HadIt.com Elder
  • Buck, I'm hoping to get the 10% changed.  Safety concerns as I mentioned cut out a lot of potential employment creating a "Definite Industrial Handicap" as stated in other sections of the Rating schedule rising to a 30% disability rating level.  Will keep you posted on the 10th Circuit and CAVC Decision.