Read VA Disability Claims Articles
Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• tbirds-va-claims-struggle (1).png

• 01-2024-stay-online-donate-banner.png

Hypertension

Rate this question

Billyboy

Question

I am rated for tinnitus 10%, loss of hearing 0% and MDD at 50%, (claimed as post traumatic stress disorder, sleep disorder and night sweats). My question is on the high blood pressure. First a little history; in 1962 while in the service I had the pleasure of spending some time in the Trippler mental hospital with some very serious problems. When I got out of the service I ran like hell away from the service just as fast as I could. Not knowing I could receive any help from the VA. In my service files there is no B/P checks of any kind. While in the hospital the service gave me Librium without knowing what my B/P was. My point is I want to file a claim for hypertension and I want to be sure not to screw it up. Since I have gotten out of the service (1962) my first two doctors are dead. The first report I have is 8-9-91 B/P was 142/92. The highest reading BEFORE I was enrolled in the VA system was 174/96. After enrolling in the VA Hospital Fresno I have readings from 198/105 and now getting under control 139/80. How would you go about handling the claim? What kind of evidence do I need. I know there is a loooooong gap between 1962 and 1991. Help

0% Hearing loss, 10% Tinnitus, 70% MDD, 100% TDIU Thanks to the vet (Gaylon) that help me get started, the county officer (Charles) and all the great people on HADIT

• Answers 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

(Bill-I found you in Success-this is the forum where you need to be- Claims Research)

I copied it all to this topic:

Bill- Glad you made it here-

The hypertension-

Do you have your complete SMRs (service Medical Records)

I think you mentioned in the past you did-

so- no HBP readings there--- boy -you would think they would take BP readings for any meds or hospitalization- wouldn't you? But they often didnt in the mil-I guess-

Is it possible that a doctor would state that your HBP us more than likely due to -or as likely as not due to the MDD? or PTSD? That would make it secondary SC.

OR- is it possible that any of your SC meds- cause ones BP to raise?

That is another possible way to go-

what is your overall rating? are you employed?

when is last time you had a good hearing test? "0" SC is better than NSC.

If you feel comfortable telling us what mes you are on for the MDD maybe we could search them to see if they are causing your BP problems-

If a SC condition "aggravates" a NSC condition than the "aggravation" can be claimed as secondary-

This claim shows what I mean:

http://www.va.gov/vetapp01/files01/0105415.txt

Full Edit

Quick Edit Billyboy Today, 11:57 AM Post #2

New To This Board

Group: Members

Member No.: 619

I am rated for tinnitus 10%, loss of hearing 0% and MDD at 50%, (claimed as post traumatic stress disorder, sleep disorder and night sweats). My question is on the high blood pressure. First a little history; in 1962 while in the service I had the pleasure of spending some time in the Trippler mental hospital with some very serious problems. When I got out of the service I ran like hell away from the service just as fast as I could. Not knowing I could receive any help from the VA. In my service files there is no B/P checks of any kind. While in the hospital the service gave me Librium without knowing what my B/P was. My point is I want to file a claim for hypertension and I want to be sure not to screw it up. Since I have gotten out of the service, 1962 my first two doctors are dead. The first report I have is 8-9-91 B/P was 142/92. The highest reading BEFORE I was enrolled in the VA system was 174/96. After enrolling in the VA Hospital Fresno I have readings from 198/105 and now getting under control 139/80. How would you go about handling the claim?

Full Edit

Quick Edit

« Next Oldest · Success Stories · Next Newest »

1 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)

1 Members: Berta

Fast Reply

Enable email notification of replies | Enable Smilies | Enable Signature

Forum Home Search Help VA Claims Research |-- Veterans Affairs Claims and Benefits Research |-- Success Stories |-- Frequently Asked Questions |-- Medication – Health Issues |-- Veterans/Advocacy News Member Announcements |-- Social Security Disability Questions |-- FAQ's Veterans Affairs Claims/Benefits HadIt.com Members Issues |-- HadIt.com Member's Issues Social Chat |-- Social Chat |-- Ask The Geeks

Display Mode: Standard · Switch to: Linear+ · Switch to: Outline

Track this topic · Email this topic · Print this topic · Subscribe to this forum

IPB 2.1 Default Larger Text Element-Free (Import) English Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 11th April 2006 - 02:49 PM

Invision Power Board v2.1.1 © 2006 IPS, Inc.

GRADUATE ! Nov 2nd 2007 American Military University !

When thousands of Americans faced annihilation in the 1800s Chief

Osceola's response to his people, the Seminoles, was

simply "They(the US Army)have guns, but so do we."

Sameo to us -They (VA) have 38 CFR ,38 USC, and M21-1- but so do we.

First of all thank you for just getting me here.

I have covered every piece of medical records I got from the national records center and all I find was, NO B/P ANYWHERE.

I have a call into a local shrink and will ask her if she would be comfortable stating hypertension secondary to the PTSD. Also I read a post about Dr. Bash?

My rating is 10% tinnitus, 0% loss of hearing and 50% MDD (Claimed as PTSD) for a total of 60%. No I am not employed. I gave our business to my son, as I just couldn't put up with the people any more.

Last hearing test was a little over a year ago.

At this time I am NOT taking any meds for the PTSD, last summer I had some problems with my lungs. The Dr. sent me to pulmonary and he first thought it was COPD, but it turned out to be more chemical related from the carpet cleaning. I stop all meds cause I was afraid of the side affects. I do have some good days and bad but I feel better the when I took the meds.

I feel comfortable talking with you I have nothing to hide.

0% Hearing loss, 10% Tinnitus, 70% MDD, 100% TDIU Thanks to the vet (Gaylon) that help me get started, the county officer (Charles) and all the great people on HADIT

Bill- sorry it took me so long to explain the board to you----

I still get confused here.

Dr. Bash is at http://www.veteransmedadvisor.com/

He will email you back or call you- I just love him---he gave me a great IMO but the VA doesn't want to acknowledge it. (I think they did in January though- made decision I haven't gotten yet)

The expense of an IMO can be absorbed by one or two comp checks,if the med evidence and IMO warrants a higher rating. That would be great if the private shrink can help you-

Bill- you cannot take PTSD meds due to the possible affect along with the job fumes.....

I feel that you should apply for TDIU_ regardless of any claims you might have in process now-

TDIU is full comp rate- 100%

I will attach the form--something to think about---

did the VA ever turn you down for Voc Rehab? If so that is evidence of unemployability.

100% is a big jump from 60%.

TDIU_form.pdf

Berta, it's not your fault, considering what you have to work with (me) no real wiz kid when it comes to computers (and spelling) Thanks God for spell checkers!

I have looked through Dr. Bash’s file and was wondering if the cost vs. the out come would be worth it.

I am wait for a call from the shrink, I learned a long time ago to ask, all they can say is no.

I’m not sure if the PTSD meds and the fumes were my problem but I was taking them both at the same time. I quit the meds and gave up my business to my son. The last year or so my wife and son did all the work, I just hid out.

Thanks for the form, I have already filed and awaiting an answer.

I not sure of what you mean by Voc rehab. I never asked for it. I am going on 65 now and it has been a struggle to say the least. I have a friend here who got me started. But he’s kinda disappeared. What should I do about the VOC rehab? What would you consider my chances of 100% TDIU. I thought I needed a rating of at least 70%? Now I am confused.

Need any more info let me know

Look at your exam sheet that gives all of the medical infomation you received on entry into the military. It should show a BP reading. Then look at the same type exam sheet which is in your SMR that shows the medical information at the time of your separation. There should also be a BP reading shown on it. The exam sheets are the ones which shows a bunch of boxes next to different things that the examiner is required to look at and will be checked as yes or no as to whether or not they saw any problem. This sheet will also show an outline of a set of teeth so the examiner can circle any areas of each tooth that was a problem before and after your military service. If you show a normal BP reading at the time you entered the military and then show a high BP reading upon separation, then this may help in supporting your claim.

It is amazing that when you mention these exam records, contained in their SMR's, the number of veterans who have no idea of what you are talking about. Some don't even realize they exist, but could potentially help them support their claim.

Just a little tidbit of information which I hope may help someone.

mssoup1

Bill- I would not be concerned at all about the Voc Rehab part-I just wondered about it-

And -TDIU- there is no percentage criteria- regardless of what some SOs and vet reps say for claiming TDIU.

I had a vet, through another vet I helped, who had no SC % whatsoever. Nada.

By email and phone I assessed his evidence. Private PTSD medical care.Lots of documentation, photos from Nam etc. lots of stuff-heavily medicated for the PTSD.

I sent him a TDIU form, gave him some pointers on it, and what evidence to attach to it. Within 4 months he got 100% PTSD from the VA.

The vet that referred him to me- took him 12 years to succeed in 100% for Bi -polar manic depression.

Same VARO but that is how things go here in NY.

TDIU is based on the fact that VA finds that a vet, due to service connected disabilities, cannot be employed.

Many here are TDIU vets. It depends on medical evidence-

If a doctor , with good reasons and rationale, can state that your SC disabilities hinder and prevent you from being employed, the VA will consider you unemployable, unless they find evidence to the contrary-

it is not unusal at all for a vet with PTSD to receive TDIU.