Hadit.com is funded through advertising, ad free memberships, contributions and out of pocket. Many folks use Ad Blockers and I understand why, I would ask that if you want to support HadIt.com and help keep it online add HadIt.com website as an exception ×

Filing For A Increase For Ptsd

Maurice

Question

A friend is 70%PTSD and never told the 1st Exam Dr about he tried to take his life after 11 months getting out of the Military. He was told by non veterans that they would lock him up in a mental hospital for life. Should I go to the 2nd C and P Exam with him to tell the VA Dr he tried to take his life in the past? He need lots of help.

• Answers 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

It is possible to go into his exam with him. He has to request that you be allowed to attend the appointment when you get there. You will be acting as his friend, not his representative.

A friend is 70%PTSD and never told the 1st Exam Dr about he tried to take his life after 11 months getting out of the Military.

Approximately how long ago did he receive SC for PTSD at 70 % ?

The above is old news (even if he "never told the 1st Exam Dr") and not anything to be factored into

a current evaluation for percentage level.

If he has filed a request for increase - all that counts is how his Occupational and Social functioning

are currently effected by his condition.

He was told by non veterans that they would lock him up in a mental hospital for life.

Thats just non veterans, know it all's - that no nothing - BS.

Should I go to the 2nd C and P Exam with him to tell the VA Dr he tried to take his life in the past?

Others have already made excellent comments on you going with him.

My comment here is more in regards to you going to the C&P exam "to tell the VA Dr he tried to take his life in the past".

Were YOU THERE when this happened ?

What did YOU PERSONALLY WITNESS ?

How long ago did this happen ?

JMHO

carlie

He need lots of help.

Thanks all of you for your reply. Happy New Year's to you all. God bless you. Carlie,Thanks you

• Admin

This may or may not help, you can tell your friend that there is no way they are going to lock him up for life. They stabilize you and get you out the door, there are more veterans than beds available, that's just a cold hard fact.

After you tell him that, you need to tell him he must be honest with the c and p doctor, let all the ugly out so that the doctor knows what is going on with him. The c and p doctor must know the truth of his situation as hard and heart wrenching it can be to say it out loud he simply must.

Tell him not to fear the mental ward, if he feels suicidal again it is the safest place for him. I've been there 3 hots and a cot, medication management and safety.

It's kinda of difficult to keep a bed at the VA mental ward. The doctors try to convince you you're not suicidal. The problem with this method, of course, is you have a lot of veterans who see mental health and then commit suicide only a few hours or days later. Your friend shouldn't worry about being locked up. He should be only concerned with getting the treatment needed to get better. I am a black pot calling out the black kettle, but hey that's all we got some days.