Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• tbirds-va-claims-struggle (1).png

• 01-2024-stay-online-donate-banner.png

Hypertension And Heart Disease

Rate this question

Guest jstacy

Question

Guest jstacy

I am seeking information in the connection of Hypertension and heart disease, What I am looking for is some article of a BVA or CAVC case that establishes a time frame for the initial onset of Hypertension to the time it takes to develop heart disease from the Hypertension.

Thanks

• Answers 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

jstacy,

I would suspect there is no time frame for when a person develops hypertension and then heart disease. Many people suffer hypertension all their lives and never have heart problems. Yet, I know people who have hyertension and the onset of heart disease is rapid.

It would be more logical to determine if your hypertension or heart disease is service connected. It is kinda like the chicken and egg thing. Some people have heart problems and no hypertension. So the best thing do do is to get a physician to say that (1) your hypertenstion or heart disease is caused by your military service. (2) get the same phyisican to show a nexus between the two. That hypertension caused the heart disease or vice versa.

The problem with hypertension is that you just about have to have had it treated in the military to get compensation for it. I do know veterans who have presumptive Diabetes type II, who later develop things like hypertension or peripheral neuropathy have that nexus. So unless you have a presumptive condition, or were treated in the military for heart problems or hypertension, or any disease that could cause one or the other, then your gonna have a hard uphill battle.

Patrick

• HadIt.com Elder

Patrick

I have presumptive DMII, but I had to get another medical opinion to get my peripheral neuropathy service connecated. Having SC'ed DMII does help with the secondary conditions, but is only presumptive in a few cases. If you have anything in your medical records about a secondary condition that appears before the official diagnosis of DMII you may, and probably will have a problem getting it SC'ed. DMII has so many secondary conditions connected to it that is should be obvious, but I don't think it works that way with the VA.

John,

I have only seen once that the VA gave a rating to a DM II vet without an examination. Usually they have you conduct an exam to check to see the gravity of the secondary condition and make sure it fits into the presumtptive criteria. Since the law took affect in 2001 for DM II, they want to make sure there are no prexisiting conditions before the ruling. Once case in particular was a Vietnam vet claiming DM II stating he did not have hypertension prior to the onset of diabetes. However, the vet was diagnosed with hypertension at anotehr VAMC, thus his claim for hypertension was denied. But they did find preoperative cataracts and granted a 0% rating for them because the onset was after finding his diabetic problem.

Patrick

Edited by Patrick428

Guest jangrin
John,

I have only seen once that the VA gave a rating to a DM II vet without an examination. Usually they have you conduct an exam to check to see the gravity of the secondary condition and make sure it fits into the presumtptive criteria. Since the law took affect in 2001 for DM II, they want to make sure there are no prexisiting conditions before the ruling. Once case in particular was a Vietnam vet claiming DM II stating he did not have hypertension prior to the onset of diabetes. However, the vet was diagnosed with hypertension at anotehr VAMC, thus his claim for hypertension was denied. But they did find preoperative cataracts and granted a 0% rating for them because the onset was after finding his diabetic problem.

Patrick

Patrick, what were the circumstances that the DMII vet did not have to have a C&P exam? do you remember? My husband filed for DMII with multiple secondary SCs in January and added two more secondarys SCs in Feb. and he has recieved 2 VCAA letters one for the Jan claim and one for the FEB added on to original claim. He also has been seen by contract PHd. D. for PTSD. But he has not been scheduled for any C&P exams. Would they rate him without the C&P exams. Oh one more thing, he has absolutely no medical records except for the VA and they are the ones who have diagnosed him with DMII and everything else. He got an exam and opinion with doctor Bash about 2 weeks ago. Dr. Bash's exam and review of records report, connected evrything to AO and my husbands military service. Do you think since the VA is the diagnosing doctor that they may go ahead and rate without the C&P exams. Your opinion is appreciated.

Thanks,

Jangrin and Chuckles :o

Guest jstacy

Patrick I was diagnosed in 1984 with hypertension in the Service. I was diagnosed again on several occasions during the 12 months after I separated from service. All the BP readings were of a compensable level. ( The VA has had this information since 1998 yet they still deny the claim) The final decision is not back yet but I am expecting it soon. Strange enough is that Every time I go to the VA, They get all concerned about my hypertension. I am now taking the following meds for HTN: Lisinopril , nifedipine, klonodine, Hydrachlorithyzide, and Imdur for HTN and Heart. The Bottom line still shoots from 96 to 118 even with the meds. They consider it uncontrollable and call me a walking time bomb. I went to an outside Heart Doctor after a VA Nuclear medicine test came back ok and he did a heart cath. He diagnosed heart the heart disease and in his notes he stated the heart disease was caused by a long history of hypertension.

I submitted this as additional evidence.

It pays to get a second opinion for the VA may just kill someone.

jangrin,

Anytime you go in for a C and P and your claim includes diabetes (especialy if your a Vietnam vet), you automatically get an eye examination and a regular physcial. I took this vet to the C and P because he cannot drive and went with him in the exam room, etc. Four months later, he gets 20% for DMII (part of the claim) and 10% for hypertension (no hypertenison noted before onset of DMII, and 0% for preoperative cataracts). His claim did not include hypertension or cataracts. But because DMII was presumptive, it was deemed that his hypertension and cataracts were "more likely than not" due to DMII, therefore additional ratings for both were given.

Patrick

Edited by Patrick428