Read VA Disability Claims Articles
Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• tbirds-va-claims-struggle (1).png

• 01-2024-stay-online-donate-banner.png

Dm Ii Question

Rate this question

rcsc214

Question

I am trying to upgrade from 20 % to 40 % on my diabetes mellitus. While reading 38 CFR, part 4, it states "Requiring insulin, restricted diet, and regulation of activities". Can anyone tell me exactly what "regulation of activities" means? Where can I find a reference/information as to what is meant by that? I guess I am looking for examples etc. Thank you all.

• Answers 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

6 answers to this question

Guest jangrin
I am trying to upgrade from 20 % to 40 % on my diabetes mellitus. While reading 38 CFR, part 4, it states "Requiring insulin, restricted diet, and regulation of activities". Can anyone tell me exactly what "regulation of activities" means? Where can I find a reference/information as to what is meant by that? I guess I am looking for examples etc. Thank you all.

rscs214,

I'm not positive on this, but I believe that "regulation of activities", when the doctor places restrictions on your activities.

Usually for DMII it is insulin, diet control and exercise. However, there are many DMII patients that cannot participate in an exercise program due to heart problems, stroke, PN, balance, gait, etc. because it would be dangerous. So if the doctor has to councel on those things I believe it is the regulation of your activites. I am open to anyone elses interpretation on this.

Jangrin :D

Edited by jangrin

Regulation of activities would mean any activity that would cause you undo stress leading to a diabetic coma, or other activities that either raise or lower your blood sugar. Overexertion can lead to dizziness and loss of blood flow to vital organs. Since diabetes attacks most vital organs, overdoing it, long exposure to the sun, may initiate a reaction in you that may lead to negative consequences.

Patrick

• HadIt.com Elder

Yesterday my blood sugar and BP dropped and the ambulance came. Fortunately I had recovered enough not to have to go to ER. It was close I thought I was having a panic attack my BP dropped to 66/36 before it went back up.

Veterans deserve real choice for their health care.

Guest terrysturgis

rcsc214, my DMII rating went from 20% to 40% at my last C&P because my outside doctor increased my diabetes medication (Avandia) from 4mg to 8mg. With the increases of PN my total schedular rating is 93.4% and I am paid 100% TDIU, P&T.

On HADIT there is availiable a work sheet that the C&P examiners use to rate DMII. Berta has posted it more than once. It helped me as I am sure it would help you. Good Luck. Terry Sturgis

• HadIt.com Elder

Terry

Since you are so close to the tipping point to get schedular 100% if you did get 100% over TDIU would the P&T go along with that I wonder. I see advantages and disadvantages to getting schedular 100% in terms of SMC vs TDIU. I am getting closer to 90% and all I know is that I don't want a re-evaluation for my psychiatric disorders. I have DMII also and PN.

And the VA's complete Training letter on DMII is here too-

This is very imporant information for a diabetes vet to read carefully as the many additional ratable complications can be found as secondary to Diabetes and are stated in their training letter.

I did much research in diabetes over the last three years and found that it can affect almost every body part, skin, eyes, feet, hands, heart, brain, teeth, sleep, liver, etc etc etc.I research the ADA as well as WHO and also I have the entire Expert Committee on Diabetes Classification report when the threshold for glucose was lowered in 1997.

I even gave VA the link to this extensive report suggesting their so-called diabetes expert should read it.

Also last week I quoted NVLSP's statement as to how the VA MUST consider cataracts and atherosclerosis as secondary to DMII unless the VA finds and proves another etiology.

The VA- in my opinion- is saving big money everyday because veterans fail to make a claim for secondary DMII conditions.

Even with a 100% rating the vet could be entitled to SMC due to DMII complications-

more money the VA saves if the vet does not tell them this.

Deaths - diabetes does not kill- it's complications do-

Fatal stroke and fatal heart attacks in a diabetic are almost always MOST likely due to their diabetes.

VA knows this- it is standard and well know medical fact.

I helped with a claim where the vet died due to gangrene in his gall bladder-claim denied-

The vet rep is hoping the widow will contact Dr. Bash. I told Dr. Bash the other day that I would help too if needed on this claim- as I am familiar with this vet's autopsy as well as critical connections to his medical state at death to information in the VA's own training letter.

The VA will snooker any Diabetic vet they can-

It was easier for them to do my husband in and not treat his diabetes because it had done so much damage by the time the med recs showed he had it and the heart disease he had-that they figured he would die anyhow and the widow would not find out.

If a DMII vet is getting the proper SC amount for their all of their disability due to DMII the vet must have done some good leg work-

VA wont do it.

You all might recall- we had a widow years years ago-

The vet had DMII and died of a heart attack.

They denied.

I told the widow what to tell them in her NOD. She got her DIC award.

The VA knew perfectly well that the veteran's SC DMII contributed to his fatal heart attack.

He dropped dead just as Rod did--- in minutes-

Sudden Death Syndrome due to Diabetic Vascular Disease.

(Terry remember the DVD notation I mentioned here in 2003?)

I was locked in-I have DVDs--- and then found this in a medical dictionary DVD-Diabetic Vascular Disease.

The VA tried to say it meant "denied intravenous drug use"---yeah right---

The VA could have said "denied veneral disease"-but that wouldn't work either--the veteran Never denied he had VD or something in Vietnam.He was sterile and put this in his first 1983 claim as a Doc told him this was VD episode or the overdose of penicillin was highly possible as to why he was sterile.

They knew the veteran never ever took intervenous drugs.

I knocked that manipulative crap down real fast.

OOOPS had to edit- the gangrene vet-was a Nam vet with DMII- forgot to say that-

Edited by Berta

GRADUATE ! Nov 2nd 2007 American Military University !

When thousands of Americans faced annihilation in the 1800s Chief

Osceola's response to his people, the Seminoles, was

simply "They(the US Army)have guns, but so do we."

Sameo to us -They (VA) have 38 CFR ,38 USC, and M21-1- but so do we.