Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Va Rating Schedules

Rate this question

vern2

Question

Does the Veteran have to meet each criteria in the rating to be eligible?

Example; I have been dianosed with hypertensive heart disease and heart failure due to cardiomegaly. My contention is that my EF (ejection fraction) rating is misleading as my heart is very stiff, due to Diastolic Dysfunction Stage II, that my EF may appear to be normal but it is not an accurate indicator.

Extract from MERCK MANUAL, July 20014.

“Diastolic dysfunction usually results from impaired ventricular relaxation (an active process), increased ventricular stiffness, valvular disease, or constrictive pericarditis. Acute myocardial ischemia is also a cause of diastolic dysfunction. Resistance to filling increases with age, probably reflecting myocyte loss and increased interstitial collagen deposition; thus, diastolic dysfunction is particularly common among the elderly. Diastolic dysfunction predominates in hypertrophic cardiomyopathy, disorders with ventricular hypertrophy (eg, hypertension, significant aortic stenosis), and amyloid infiltration of the myocardium. LV filling and function may also be impaired if marked increases in RV pressure shift the interventricular septum to the left.”

“Diastolic dysfunction has increasingly been recognized as a cause of HF. Estimates vary, but about 50% of patients with HF have diastolic dysfunction and a normal EF; “

I have the Diastolic Dysfunction, Stage II as well as enlarged heart (both left and right), three episodes of CHF in last year. However, if look at VA ratings, my EF still appears to be normal at 60-65%, although I did have a less than 50% last year. Both VA and my doctor state that my METS is 3-5 and restricted activity.

Vern, aka, the Hamster Man

Vern 2

4 answers to this question

The short answer to your question is no. It is in the regulations. However VA frequently still tries to deny people based on this.

You are really doing a lot of research on your claims! I have no doubt you will be successful eventually!

If I am successful, it is also due to the help and support of people like you and ASKNOD, and others on this forum including TBird!

I was infamous during my career for being tenacious :tongue:

Vern 2

I always tell Vets that when you present the Evidence and the Govts Own policies and regulations in front of their nose, they will eventually have to approve a condition. It does not matter if it is the Military, VA or the SSA, the law is the law. Good luck and keep us posted.

100% PTSD

100% Back

60% Bladder Issues

50% Migraines 
30% Crohn's Disease

30% R Shoulder

20% Radiculopathy, Left lower    10% Radiculopathy, Right lower 
10% L Knee  10% R Knee Surgery 2005&2007
10% Asthma
10% Tinnitus
10% Damage of Cranial Nerve II

10% Scars

SMC S

SMC K

OEF/OIF VET     100% VA P&T, Post 911 Caregiver, SSDI

I always tell Vets that when you present the Evidence and the Govts Own policies and regulations in front of their nose, they will eventually have to approve a condition. It does not matter if it is the Military, VA or the SSA, the law is the law..

This is the truth right here!