VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

C-File Claims Folder Is New Process

Rate this question

paulcolrain

Question

a new proceeds heads up. email i got after request,

Privacy Act and Freedom of Information Act Requests are now being handled at a centralized location. I have forwarded your request as well as this address update...

also they will call you and send you a letter asking if you want your records in hard copy paper or on a CD.

to lesten the time frame from now on put your answer to this in your FOIA request.

paulcolrain

Thanks so much for the information and it's very helpful. After 2 FOIA attempts this year to get my C-File from my local RO Office, it became a nightmare and I had to cancel them both. Frankly, it did not make sense that a FOIA request is considered another "claim" for the purposes of the VBA which takes your c-file out of the queue to get processed? Also, I figured that being an electronic file meant that it could be easily copied and processed to be sent to the veteran. Later, after the cancellations, my claim started processing again and I also cancelled my connections to the VSO whom did not advise me of that action would happen by ordering my c-file? The big problem is that the only time that I will find out what was digitized and used for my claim is when I see the final claims result? So, I've got my fingers crossed now that in fact everything was digitized in my very large "hard copy" service medical records file and used to adjudicated my FDC claim? The new process that you describe makes a lot of sense to me and I think the RO was not sure of the changes that were happening at the time?

Edited by rootbeer22

paulcolrain

Thanks so much for the information and it's very helpful. After 2 FOIA attempts this year to get my C-File from my local RO Office, it became a nightmare and I had to cancel them both. Frankly, it did not make sense that a FOIA request is considered another "claim" for the purposes of the VBA which takes your c-file out of the queue to get processed? Also, I figured that being an electronic file meant that it could be easily copied and processed to be sent to the veteran. Later, after the cancellations, my claim started processing again and I also cancelled my connections to the VSO whom did not advise me of that action would happen by ordering my c-file? The big problem is that the only time that I will find out what was digitized and used for my claim is when I see the final claims result? So, I've got my fingers crossed now that in fact everything was digitized in my very large "hard copy" service medical records file and used to adjudicated my FDC claim? The new process that you describe makes a lot of sense to me and I think the RO was not sure of the changes that were happening at the time?

Paul i did not know that it makes it another "claim"

I am trying to get mine in the middle of a reduction, etc.

Funny thing is i sent it the first week of june certified/return receipt. the certified tracking shows it was delivered 8 June, however as a of 16 june still havent gotten the return receipt yet. I am sending another and faxing so my message is clear. if i havent heard back from them by Jul 3, i will send another letting them know i have not been notified of "extraordinary circumstances" and they are in violation of 5 U.S.C. § 552 (a)(6)(A)(2)(i) not that they would care.

Paul i did not know that it makes it another "claim"

I am trying to get mine in the middle of a reduction, etc.

Funny thing is i sent it the first week of june certified/return receipt. the certified tracking shows it was delivered 8 June, however as a of 16 june still havent gotten the return receipt yet. I am sending another and faxing so my message is clear. if i havent heard back from them by Jul 3, i will send another letting them know i have not been notified of "extraordinary circumstances" and they are in violation of 5 U.S.C. § 552 (a)(6)(A)(2)(i) not that they would care.

Good approach. I ought to try that.

Interesting to see that you filed something via certified mail to an EIC and did not get the green postcard receipt back in the mail. I've got the same problem. I filed a Form 9 about six weeks ago and never got anything back, despite certified tracking making it clear that the envelope and contents were delivered. The form wasn't in the system either when I got someone up on chat the other day.

My guess is that they'll claim they never got your request due to their nationwide mail rooms being overwhelmed. Not sure that faxing something is actually faster, either. I did a test last fall in which I faxed something and then also mailed it certified. The certified copy made it into the system faster.

Edited by TiredCoastie

Tired coastie it's almost a must. I didn't want to hear the excuse that they didn't get my NOD on time. I sent three copies. One snail mail, one faxed, and one Green carded, guess what, when I got my c file only one was there, when my law dog sent me a copy of what they sent him when he did the FOIA, only one, but they had both versions of my NOD, mine and my attorneys. Personally green card it every time. Always mention in your correspondence what you sent, how many pages it was, and an enclosure list. Overkill, yeah probably so, but mistakes on their part seem to happen a lot. Conveniently.

I hope not.

I sent a request for SMR 's on CD.

Records Management Center has yet to receive request; however it is listed on ebenefits.

Request (fax) sent 5/11/15.

Took about 14 months to receive mine in 01/14, and I hand delivered FOIA request to Det RO. Even though we may believe all of our C-File is on electronic media, it appeared to me that a clerk stood by a copy machine and copies each page. How else could a page from another VET make it into my file.

Only time will tell if a centralized mail location will improve wait times or not. The VA started the DRO Review/Hearing program in 2001 to cut the appeals time, you think it's worked out as planed?

Paul: What's the status of your BVA Appeal Hearing? Award or Remand, I see your still listing 50% SC?

Semper Fi

Gastone