Read VA Disability Claims Articles
Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• tbirds-va-claims-struggle (1).png

• 01-2024-stay-online-donate-banner.png

NOD Question concerning new evidence submit timing

Rate this question

Wayne TX

Question

I was wondering if a NOD claim goes back to the same rater who denied the initial claim or does it go to a completely different Rater unknown to the initial Rater?   How does this actually work within the system when you file a NOD?  Do you file it with all the new evidence right then attached or is it best to wait on sending New Evidence until after Statement of Claim (SOC) is received to counter it better?  What is the SOC all about and any different than the decision denial reasons????? Working on it this weekend to file with Rep on Monday so would appreciate a quick reply. Thanks for any help out there.

Edited by Wayne TX

Since now Ted Ebert has been promoted to somewhere not doing the correct a claim anymore but I have posted before in a post the number To the Office of Communication and Case Management, Department of Veterans Affairs, Washington DC who does help and has helped my claim.202) 273-5674

Edited by jfrei

I'm sorry I don't know where he had been put all he said is he wasn't in the same position anymore and put somewhere else in in his email but to go to case management if I still needed help.

When I filed my NOD in 2014 I was with the Roanoke RO office.  Let me also state that when I filed my NOD I specifically asked for a DRO hearing so that I would be able to discuss my NOD in person.  My NOD sat dormant until February 2016 when I had my DRO review hearing in Waco, TX.  I had moved to Texas while my NOD was pending.  I submitted N&M evidence to my DAV rep for my upcoming DRO hearing.  At the hearing I chose "informal" hearing but you have the choice to go formal if you so choose to do so.

I received a lot of sound advice from this forum and I read this link too:

http://www.disabilitysecrets.com/resources/disability/veterans-disability/dealing-a-dro-veterans-disability

Be sure to prepare for the hearing by ensuring you have all your documents in order.  I created a binder, one for me, and one for the hearing officer.  This was a great method b/c during the hearing I was able to communicate with the DRO hearing officer page by page, tab by tab as to what I was trying to get across to him.

I have been waiting now for almost 2 months for the decision.  I was told by others here it's a "hit/miss" you just never know when you are going to get the decision.  I feel my case was thoroughly argued before the DRO hearing officer and I feel confident I will get some type of good news.  I am optimistic.  My decision pending date is 9/28/16 so we will see.

Just make sure you request the DRO hearing in your NOD.  You don't have to go into detail on the NOD, at least that is my opinion.  Others might disagree but I feel your hearing is where you have the greatest opportunity to discuss and show the DRO hearing officer your stance.  Make sure any N&M evidence is presented to the DRO hearing officer either prior or at the hearing.  Make the binder in chronological order and easy to guide the DRO hearing officer through it.  If you have a rep, get with them prior to the hearing.

Be prepared to wait for about 2 years for a hearing.  Might be sooner might be longer BUT as long as you have requested the DRO review hearing in your NOD they have to afford you a hearing!

Good luck!

US Navy Desert Storm Veteran
Proudly served my Country!!! :biggrin:

And, always keep in mind, the VA Reg regarding Receipt of New & Material Evidence related to a pending appeal, DRO or BVA. The reciept of which, is supposed to trigger an "Automatic Review" of the N & M Evidence by a Sr Rater or actual DRO. If they are unable to award your claim, based on the "Review," a SSOC (Supplemental Statement of Case) is mailed to you, continuing your Denial and Appeal.

There is always the slim chance, your N & M Evidence is so compelling, an award by either the Sr Rater or DRO will be made. At the very least, you'll know if the Sr Rater or DRO, agreed with how strong you thought your evidence was.

Think about filing an Official Request for an "Informal DRO Evidence Conference."

Semper Fi

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Tell a friend

Love HadIt.com’s VA Disability Community Vets helping Vets since 1997? Tell a friend!
  • Recent Achievements

• Lebro earned a badge
      First Post
    • stuart55 earned a badge
      Week One Done
    • stuart55 earned a badge
      One Month Later
    • Lebro earned a badge
      Conversation Starter
    • Sparklinger earned a badge
      First Post
  • Our picks

• Caluza Triangle defines what is necessary for service connection
      Caluza Triangle – Caluza vs Brown defined what is necessary for service connection. See COVA– CALUZA V. BROWN–TOTAL RECALL

This has to be MEDICALLY Documented in your records:

Current Diagnosis.   (No diagnosis, no Service Connection.)

In-Service Event or Aggravation.
      Nexus (link- cause and effect- connection) or Doctor’s Statement close to: “The Veteran’s (current diagnosis) is at least as likely due to x Event in military service”
      • 0 replies
    • Do the sct codes help or hurt my disability rating 
    • VA has gotten away with (mis) interpreting their  ambigious, , vague regulations, then enforcing them willy nilly never in Veterans favor.  

They justify all this to congress by calling themselves a "pro claimant Veteran friendly organization" who grants the benefit of the doubt to Veterans.  

This is not true, 

Proof:  

About 80-90 percent of Veterans are initially denied by VA, pushing us into a massive backlog of appeals, or worse, sending impoverished Veterans "to the homeless streets" because  when they cant work, they can not keep their home.  I was one of those Veterans who they denied for a bogus reason:  "Its been too long since military service".  This is bogus because its not one of the criteria for service connection, but simply made up by VA.  And, I was a homeless Vet, albeit a short time,  mostly due to the kindness of strangers and friends. 

Hadit would not be necessary if, indeed, VA gave Veterans the benefit of the doubt, and processed our claims efficiently and paid us promptly.  The VA is broken. 

A huge percentage (nearly 100 percent) of Veterans who do get 100 percent, do so only after lengthy appeals.  I have answered questions for thousands of Veterans, and can only name ONE person who got their benefits correct on the first Regional Office decision.  All of the rest of us pretty much had lengthy frustrating appeals, mostly having to appeal multiple multiple times like I did. 

I wish I know how VA gets away with lying to congress about how "VA is a claimant friendly system, where the Veteran is given the benefit of the doubt".   Then how come so many Veterans are homeless, and how come 22 Veterans take their life each day?  Va likes to blame the Veterans, not their system.   
    • Welcome to hadit!  

There are certain rules about community care reimbursement, and I have no idea if you met them or not.  Try reading this:

https://www.va.gov/resources/getting-emergency-care-at-non-va-facilities/

However, (and I have no idea of knowing whether or not you would likely succeed) Im unsure of why you seem to be so adamant against getting an increase in disability compensation.  

When I buy stuff, say at Kroger, or pay bills, I have never had anyone say, "Wait!  Is this money from disability compensation, or did you earn it working at a regular job?"  Not once.  Thus, if you did get an increase, likely you would have no trouble paying this with the increase compensation.  

However, there are many false rumors out there that suggest if you apply for an increase, the VA will reduce your benefits instead.  

That rumor is false but I do hear people tell Veterans that a lot.  There are strict rules VA has to reduce you and, NOT ONE of those rules have anything to do with applying for an increase.  

Yes, the VA can reduce your benefits, but generally only when your condition has "actually improved" under ordinary conditions of life.  

Unless you contacted the VA within 72 hours of your medical treatment, you may not be eligible for reimbursement, or at least that is how I read the link, I posted above. Here are SOME of the rules the VA must comply with in order to reduce your compensation benefits:

https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/38/3.344

• Good question.   

Maybe I can clear it up.  

The spouse is eligible for DIC if you die of a SC condition OR any condition if you are P and T for 10 years or more.  (my paraphrase).  

More here:

Source:

https://www.va.gov/disability/dependency-indemnity-compensation/

NOTE:   TO PROVE CAUSE OF DEATH WILL LIKELY REQUIRE AN AUTOPSY.  This means if you die of a SC condtion, your spouse would need to do an autopsy to prove cause of death to be from a SC condtiond.    If you were P and T for 10 full years, then the cause of death may not matter so much. 

Important Information

Guidelines and Terms of Use