Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 
Read Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Question

Please, welcome new VET2VET podcast episode:

https://youtu.be/waV5t0HPtbM

Today we are joined by Thomas Wendel, DAV National area supervisor for West Cost Region.
Thomas E. Wendel served in the U. S. Marine Corps from 1983 until 1997.
Since 1999, Tom has worked assisting veterans in processing various entitlement claims on the local, state and federal levels; first in Clare County as a county service officer and then when he came to work for the Disabled American Veterans in 2000. In 2008 he was promoted to the position of supervisor of the DAV Service Office in Detroit and later he was promoted to the position of supervisor of the DAV National area for West Cost Region.
DAV is America’s largest, most effective veterans service organizations dedicated to the needs of those injured, ill or wounded in service. We have more than 1,300 Chapters in communities nationwide to help make sure veterans from all generations and their families get the benefits and support they deserve. Today, nearly 1.3 million veterans belong to DAV, and we encourage you to add your voice to the cause. Our programs and free services help all veterans get the health, disability and financial benefits they earned. Take advantage of our benefits claims assistance, medical transportation and employment resources. Your local DAV Chapter is a great way to connect with fellow veterans in your area.

★ JOIN US IN OUR COMMITMENT TO YOU AND OUR FELLOW VETERANS ★
▶ facebook.com/VETOVET2
▶ itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/vet2vet/id1077206523?mt=2
▶ twitter.com/VETOVET2
▶ youtube.com/c/VETOVET2
▶ plus.google.com/u/0/+VETOVET2
▶ goo.gl/app/playmusic?ibi=com.google.PlayMusic&isi=691797987&ius=googleplaymusic&link=https://play.google.com/music/m/Iiqawbuzg7eviiyqm6xz7kju62m?t%3DVET2VET
▶ feeds.soundcloud.com/users/soundcloud:users:198832065/sounds.rss
▶ soundcloud.com/vet2vet
▶ stitcher.com/s?fid=80842&refid=stpr

★ LIMITED LIABILITY CLAUSE ★

THE INFORMATION AVAILABLE THROUGH THE VET2VET MAY INCLUDE INACCURACIES OR ERRORS. CHANGES ARE PERIODICALLY ADDED TO THE INFORMATION HEREIN. VET2VET MAY MAKE IMPROVEMENTS AND/OR CHANGES OF THE CONTENT AT ANY TIME. ADVICE RECEIVED VIA VET2VET SHOULD NOT BE RELIED UPON FOR PERSONAL, MEDICAL, LEGAL OR FINANCIAL DECISIONS AND YOU SHOULD CONSULT AN APPROPRIATE PROFESSIONAL FOR SPECIFIC ADVICE TAILORED TO YOUR SITUATION.

IF YOU ARE DISSATISFIED WITH ANY PORTION OF VET2VET, YOUR SOLE AND EXCLUSIVE REMEDY IS TO DISCONTINUE CONSULTING VET2VET.

Edited by VETOVET

7 hours ago, Andyman73 said:

Buck,

It took 2 IRIS complaints, but it's done! I got a phone call, asking what exactly I wanted, I said, to revoke the POA I gave to the DAV. Said they haven't helped me, and even blocked me, so I revoked their POA. Lady said let me look, 10 seconds later said yep, I see your request, will be done by EOB today.  Next day got an email stating it was done, 2 days ago got the snail mail hard copy of email.  Checked ebennies just now, and they are off the list!

Semper Fi

Andyman73.

Good for you. You are now free to search for another VSO, or attorney, or do what you can yourself with the assistance of the VA. Something is strange about the way they handle vets claims, and I would almost bet they all get a cut of your disability in some way or another. We never see the pay out to them, but when VSOs travel to camp grounds looking to sign vets up, or meeting a vet at Applebee's and buying lunch, and other odd stories I have read, **something is unusual** there. It is not because they love their jobs, or love vets and just want to help, because they treat us like crap in some cases, so it's not because of care or love.

Use the IRIS. I must have used it 200 times, and it definitely made a difference, and there are some really helpful people working there, and at the VA also. It is like any business, some people there just don't care, and are only after a paycheck and could care less about helping you. It's an effort to even breath for some of them at the VA, but they have to in order to live, or they wouldn't, but others make you thankful that you got them on the phone. 

Good luck to you now that you are free.

Victor

Thanks, Buck and Victor,

The thing that bugs me the most, is that I wasn't a thorn in their side.  I wasn't pesting them with every little thing. So when they told me that they recommend full denial, to the VARO, I felt stabbed in the back, kicked in the nuts, and then stomped on once I was down for the count. I can screw myself up just fine without their help.

I do wonder if I will see any kind of fallout from this, tho.

This whole process is bonkers. My VSO is the VFW. They have helped me by returning one phone call after my leaving several voice mails and e-mails. The lady told me that they have access to my file and if my claim was denied to let them know and they would help me. One end of the pendulum to the other.

I am not advising anyone to drop their VSO, just because I did. All cases are a little different, and I was lied to in my case, so I had no choice. You can't help someone to put the screws to yourself. Well, you can, but it would be foolish. They just kept me all wound up, in the dark, no communication, and if I did call the VA about something they would get pissy and more or less threaten me with their tone of voice, and I had finally had enough.

If you are having doubts or trouble, I would go to the office and talk directly to them. I did, and told them several times I may change VSOs, and they basically said "go ahead, you have that right". It is not a recommended thing to do if you are close to a decision, or C&P exam, but you have to do what you feel is right. I would bug them like Andyman said. 

I bugged them all the time, but the VA a lot more, because my VSO wouldn't tell me anything. I never knew where I stood, or where my claim was, and lost faith when I filed in July and in November the VA said they had received no claim. WTF??? Also I was told to wait for my service treatment records. Well 8 months later I was still waiting, and finally got some of them 26 months later. Over 2 years I would have been waiting, and just now getting them.

I would call every week at least and ask about your claim status, if you need to submit any forms or documents, and if they can give you a clue as to where you are at in the process.

Andyman, I don't know about any fallout, but ask for a VA assistant to be assigned to you. I do, and they are working with me. I am somewhat informed like I should be, but don't have any dates established, but I am not really a mushroom anymore, LOL...

They will assist you, and if you have a claim that is documented you should be fine. When a condition develops because its secondary to something else, is where the VSO can help you, and any of them should help you. Stop in any of their offices and ask anything you want. They all get paid to help you, and "your states veterans commission is just a phone call or email away". Use them, and good luck

Victor