VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Question

Please, welcome new VET2VET podcast episode:

https://youtu.be/waV5t0HPtbM

Today we are joined by Thomas Wendel, DAV National area supervisor for West Cost Region.
Thomas E. Wendel served in the U. S. Marine Corps from 1983 until 1997.
Since 1999, Tom has worked assisting veterans in processing various entitlement claims on the local, state and federal levels; first in Clare County as a county service officer and then when he came to work for the Disabled American Veterans in 2000. In 2008 he was promoted to the position of supervisor of the DAV Service Office in Detroit and later he was promoted to the position of supervisor of the DAV National area for West Cost Region.
DAV is America’s largest, most effective veterans service organizations dedicated to the needs of those injured, ill or wounded in service. We have more than 1,300 Chapters in communities nationwide to help make sure veterans from all generations and their families get the benefits and support they deserve. Today, nearly 1.3 million veterans belong to DAV, and we encourage you to add your voice to the cause. Our programs and free services help all veterans get the health, disability and financial benefits they earned. Take advantage of our benefits claims assistance, medical transportation and employment resources. Your local DAV Chapter is a great way to connect with fellow veterans in your area.

★ JOIN US IN OUR COMMITMENT TO YOU AND OUR FELLOW VETERANS ★
▶ facebook.com/VETOVET2
▶ itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/vet2vet/id1077206523?mt=2
▶ twitter.com/VETOVET2
▶ youtube.com/c/VETOVET2
▶ plus.google.com/u/0/+VETOVET2
▶ goo.gl/app/playmusic?ibi=com.google.PlayMusic&isi=691797987&ius=googleplaymusic&link=https://play.google.com/music/m/Iiqawbuzg7eviiyqm6xz7kju62m?t%3DVET2VET
▶ feeds.soundcloud.com/users/soundcloud:users:198832065/sounds.rss
▶ soundcloud.com/vet2vet
▶ stitcher.com/s?fid=80842&refid=stpr

★ LIMITED LIABILITY CLAUSE ★

THE INFORMATION AVAILABLE THROUGH THE VET2VET MAY INCLUDE INACCURACIES OR ERRORS. CHANGES ARE PERIODICALLY ADDED TO THE INFORMATION HEREIN. VET2VET MAY MAKE IMPROVEMENTS AND/OR CHANGES OF THE CONTENT AT ANY TIME. ADVICE RECEIVED VIA VET2VET SHOULD NOT BE RELIED UPON FOR PERSONAL, MEDICAL, LEGAL OR FINANCIAL DECISIONS AND YOU SHOULD CONSULT AN APPROPRIATE PROFESSIONAL FOR SPECIFIC ADVICE TAILORED TO YOUR SITUATION.

IF YOU ARE DISSATISFIED WITH ANY PORTION OF VET2VET, YOUR SOLE AND EXCLUSIVE REMEDY IS TO DISCONTINUE CONSULTING VET2VET.

Edited by VETOVET

2 hours ago, VETOVET said:

Please, welcome new VET2VET podcast episode:

https://youtu.be/waV5t0HPtbM

Today we are joined by Thomas Wendel, DAV National area supervisor for West Cost Region.
Thomas E. Wendel served in the U. S. Marine Corps from 1983 until 1997.
Since 1999, Tom has worked assisting veterans in processing various entitlement claims on the local, state and federal levels; first in Clare County as a county service officer and then when he came to work for the Disabled American Veterans in 2000. In 2008 he was promoted to the position of supervisor of the DAV Service Office in Detroit and later he was promoted to the position of supervisor of the DAV National area for West Cost Region.
DAV is America’s largest, most effective veterans service organizations dedicated to the needs of those injured, ill or wounded in service. We have more than 1,300 Chapters in communities nationwide to help make sure veterans from all generations and their families get the benefits and support they deserve. Today, nearly 1.3 million veterans belong to DAV, and we encourage you to add your voice to the cause. Our programs and free services help all veterans get the health, disability and financial benefits they earned. Take advantage of our benefits claims assistance, medical transportation and employment resources. Your local DAV Chapter is a great way to connect with fellow veterans in your area.

★ JOIN US IN OUR COMMITMENT TO YOU AND OUR FELLOW VETERANS ★
▶ facebook.com/VETOVET2
▶ itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/vet2vet/id1077206523?mt=2
▶ twitter.com/VETOVET2
▶ youtube.com/c/VETOVET2
▶ plus.google.com/u/0/+VETOVET2
▶ goo.gl/app/playmusic?ibi=com.google.PlayMusic&isi=691797987&ius=googleplaymusic&link=https://play.google.com/music/m/Iiqawbuzg7eviiyqm6xz7kju62m?t%3DVET2VET
▶ feeds.soundcloud.com/users/soundcloud:users:198832065/sounds.rss
▶ soundcloud.com/vet2vet
▶ stitcher.com/s?fid=80842&refid=stpr

★ LIMITED LIABILITY CLAUSE ★

THE INFORMATION AVAILABLE THROUGH THE VET2VET MAY INCLUDE INACCURACIES OR ERRORS. CHANGES ARE PERIODICALLY ADDED TO THE INFORMATION HEREIN. VET2VET MAY MAKE IMPROVEMENTS AND/OR CHANGES OF THE CONTENT AT ANY TIME. ADVICE RECEIVED VIA VET2VET SHOULD NOT BE RELIED UPON FOR PERSONAL, MEDICAL, LEGAL OR FINANCIAL DECISIONS AND YOU SHOULD CONSULT AN APPROPRIATE PROFESSIONAL FOR SPECIFIC ADVICE TAILORED TO YOUR SITUATION.

IF YOU ARE DISSATISFIED WITH ANY PORTION OF VET2VET, YOUR SOLE AND EXCLUSIVE REMEDY IS TO DISCONTINUE CONSULTING VET2VET.

1440x1440.png

Welcome Vet2Vet

I am disgusted with DAV myself, but not with you personally. I revoked DAVs representation for lying to me directly, and in 2 years did absolutely nothing for me. I got the low balled 50% on my own, and DAV would not have even gotten that. I filed July 28 and in Nov. the claim was still not scanned into VAs system. I had to refile and got in the system Nov 6. 

I was evacuated out of Vietnam with a skin disease that they could not determine the cause of, did  not know how to treat, and I was issued a P3 permanent profile for "physical capacity and stamina" because of organs and body systems being significantly affected. I was also non deployable world-wide (not even 1/3), and spent a month in the hospital for a skin disease. I was in 3 hospitals in Vietnam, 1 in Japan, 1 in USA, and this was all in the line of duty. I continued to deteriorate while on duty, with multiple diseases, like enlarged painful prostate, severe paralyzingly abdomen cramps, mosquito bites, respiratory issues, endocrine issues with chronic pharyngititis, laryngitis, repeated Group A Streptoccocus infections, chronic eye aches with migraines, ear aches with hearing loss, rashes, hives, chronic pruritis, insomnia because these issues, weakness, chronic fatigue, back and bone pain, swollen arms & legs, swelling around the eyes, trunk & side, right side pain with abnormal liver lab work, chronic ongoing medical issues that were never treated with success. Four medical officers in Vietnam signed the DA3349, including the MTF Commander. Their diagnosis was "708.9 urticaria unspecified". I was evacuated out because a I had a reaction to chloroquine once or twice maybe. A couple other times I had no reaction, so my weakened immune system may have reacted from overload.

This is when I was 19 years old, in the line of duty, and on active duty, and DAV couldn't or wouldn't submit the paper work correctly, or if at all. I never knew what was going on, and it was always, "just wait a while, just wait a while." It's 2 years later now, and I was lied to, so I had no choice but to revoke their POA. 

Why is this the way it is? Is the Steven/Stephen Kelly article a lie or truth? DAV put it up on the Internet, saying it got the VA to resolve a claim in one week for him. It got him retro pay for 12 years because housebound pay had been missed. He went to a town hall meeting and talked to Mr Edwards(I believe), and the VA corrected the claim and retro pay in one week.

i am asking you if that is true? 45 years ago today, I had been in our Vietnam military hospitals for 16 days and was Med Evaced to Japan in another 5 days. So, is it the truth or a lie? Yes or No? Either DAV or the VAs reputation is in question!

With that said, and as I said earlier, it is nothing against you, but how can DAV put out articles like that, and tell me to wait even more years that I don't have? How can they do that?

thank You! Victor Ray

I also revoked the DAV's POA, just recently.

I had a few claims denied back in Jan/Feb of this year. However, the DAV recommended a decision in November of 2015, before these claims were even at the RO's office!

When I called them, and waited the 4-6 weeks for their return call, the guy on the phone told me that all my claims were denied...so, that tells me the decision the DAV recommended was to deny all my current claims.

So, in my personal experience, all the DAV did for me was stand in front of me and block my every move.

They should be ashamed of themselves.

I also have had a bad taste left in my mouth from the DAV.  Back in 2011 i submitted a claim with the help from a member of the DAV who's office is in the VA hospital. This man told me that they call him MR 100% and he would help me get my claim thru.  This idiot told me to claim arthritis all over my body after i told him i had joint pain.  This in itself made me look like i was trying to get something over on the VA. He also told me to claim TBI because of my auto accident.  Then to cap it off he wanted me to meet him at applebee's so we could go over my documents and had me buy him drinks and then tried to get me to sign up with him and his wife in a pyramid scheme.  I should have went back and done something about this guy but i just dumped the DAV and after i was denied for all of my claims i found HADIT and did my claims myself and was awarded 80%.  DAV my big ole butt!!!!    

Like the others, my DAV service was "less than acceptable."  The VSO's must take an oath that is something like this:

ONCE YOU HAVE SECURED THE VETERANS POA, you will not return that Veterans calls.  Call another Veteran, and get him or her to sign a POA instead.  Its incosistent with the DAV's goals of getting as many POA's as possible to return a Vets calls.

And, if the Vet calls you, tell the Vet you are too busy to talk to him right now, even if you are doing nothing but playing solitaire.   

Head honchos at  DAV make 350 k per year.  I doubt they wait 5 to 10 years to get their checks, either.  

Edited by broncovet

• HadIt.com Elder

I total agree with the others,

I ask DAV to help me with my PTSD Claim, the S.O. just ask me my name and SS % scribble it down on a 21-526ez....no questions ask about my service or how long  or if I had any medical evidence to send, he just scribble PTSD in big letters  and sent in the form to my RO.

I Found out later he should have sent it to the Janesville Wi Claims intake Center, finally I got a letter from the VA letting me know they Recieved my Claim request...

As time went by I went to see the DAV SO that was supposably helping me  It took me 3 trys to see him ,finally I seen him to ask him about my claim, he said'' ''oh you won't hear back from them for a year or two''...I left and worked my claim myself  lucky for me the VA sent me a letter of what they needed from me, AND I gathered it all up and sent it in  and sent in my STATEMENT IN SUPPORT OF CLAIM, and I figured out how ebenefits work and MyhealthyVet...I worked my claim by myself along with members of Hadit.com...

the DAV SO was USELESS AND WAS NO HELP AT ALL HE NEVER ONCE CALLED ME AND GAVE HIS SUPPORT IN ANYWAY.

SO needless to say the DAV Sucks in my opinion.

...jmo

..............Buck

This "Vet 2 Vet" could very well be very good, helpful people, and our comments may be misdirected.  Of course, there is always a continium on levels of competency in every endeavor.  

The DAV has at least 2 strikes with me:

1.  When they said, years ago, "Vietnmam" vets are not "real" Vets, and did not recognize us, they contributed to the problem they were supposed to be chartered to solve.  

2.  When they took a stand against Vets having an attorney a few years ago, this was unnecessarily limiting Vets choices.  They may have backed off one or both these positions as DAV now helps some priveledged Vets get NVLSP attorneys.  

3.  I also dont like the head honchos earning 350 grand a year.  250 of that should go to helping Vets.  Whoops, that is 3.  Lets call the last strike a foul ball.  

The DAV needs reformed almost as much as the VA.  Again, however, these vet 2 vet guys may just be great.