VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Question

Please, welcome new VET2VET podcast episode:

https://youtu.be/waV5t0HPtbM

Today we are joined by Thomas Wendel, DAV National area supervisor for West Cost Region.
Thomas E. Wendel served in the U. S. Marine Corps from 1983 until 1997.
Since 1999, Tom has worked assisting veterans in processing various entitlement claims on the local, state and federal levels; first in Clare County as a county service officer and then when he came to work for the Disabled American Veterans in 2000. In 2008 he was promoted to the position of supervisor of the DAV Service Office in Detroit and later he was promoted to the position of supervisor of the DAV National area for West Cost Region.
DAV is America’s largest, most effective veterans service organizations dedicated to the needs of those injured, ill or wounded in service. We have more than 1,300 Chapters in communities nationwide to help make sure veterans from all generations and their families get the benefits and support they deserve. Today, nearly 1.3 million veterans belong to DAV, and we encourage you to add your voice to the cause. Our programs and free services help all veterans get the health, disability and financial benefits they earned. Take advantage of our benefits claims assistance, medical transportation and employment resources. Your local DAV Chapter is a great way to connect with fellow veterans in your area.

★ JOIN US IN OUR COMMITMENT TO YOU AND OUR FELLOW VETERANS ★
▶ facebook.com/VETOVET2
▶ itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/vet2vet/id1077206523?mt=2
▶ twitter.com/VETOVET2
▶ youtube.com/c/VETOVET2
▶ plus.google.com/u/0/+VETOVET2
▶ goo.gl/app/playmusic?ibi=com.google.PlayMusic&isi=691797987&ius=googleplaymusic&link=https://play.google.com/music/m/Iiqawbuzg7eviiyqm6xz7kju62m?t%3DVET2VET
▶ feeds.soundcloud.com/users/soundcloud:users:198832065/sounds.rss
▶ soundcloud.com/vet2vet
▶ stitcher.com/s?fid=80842&refid=stpr

★ LIMITED LIABILITY CLAUSE ★

THE INFORMATION AVAILABLE THROUGH THE VET2VET MAY INCLUDE INACCURACIES OR ERRORS. CHANGES ARE PERIODICALLY ADDED TO THE INFORMATION HEREIN. VET2VET MAY MAKE IMPROVEMENTS AND/OR CHANGES OF THE CONTENT AT ANY TIME. ADVICE RECEIVED VIA VET2VET SHOULD NOT BE RELIED UPON FOR PERSONAL, MEDICAL, LEGAL OR FINANCIAL DECISIONS AND YOU SHOULD CONSULT AN APPROPRIATE PROFESSIONAL FOR SPECIFIC ADVICE TAILORED TO YOUR SITUATION.

IF YOU ARE DISSATISFIED WITH ANY PORTION OF VET2VET, YOUR SOLE AND EXCLUSIVE REMEDY IS TO DISCONTINUE CONSULTING VET2VET.

Edited by VETOVET

On 6/9/2016 at 8:12 AM, Mike_S said:

A seminar would be a great idea. It took me a year to understand what was needed for a hopefully successful claim and some group training would have sped things up.

I'm glad I did it my way. The DAV had quickly filled out some forms for me in less than an hour and wanted to submit them right away. I hit the pause button to try and understand the process better. Looking back at what they did I would have gotten 10% with all other claims rejected because the forms don't make it easy to show secondary conditions.

I got 100% connecting the dots myself.

VSO's should have classes to help us do it ourselves if we wish.

That is most of what is wrong with the process. I am convinced that the VSOs get a percentage of what they keep you from drawing. The longer they can put you off, the more they make. The more veterans they sign up, the bigger their payout. Exactly like an insurance salesman get a percent of your policy as long as you have it, so it is with the VSOs. No wonder they are eager to sign you up, and fast  to slow you down with one step after the other. Kind of like a pyramid scheme, and we are on the bottom.

If you don't believe it, ask them what they make annually. 28K, 35K and so on. Yeah right. 200-500k is more like it.

On 6/9/2016 at 10:11 AM, OldJoe said:

About a "seminar", that would be a very good idea.  And something we could do I think.

It wouldn't have to be a "make a reservation type seminar" but an instructional video that walks through what should be done before making a claim, how to make a claim, who you can call, resources, ...

Video would be of great help because from personal experience, diving into a forum can be daunting to the point of overwhelming, because you can hear 5 different things that seem contradictory but all are correct when placed in the right context.

Also, videos lend a human touch to explaining things and body language can be used effectively to express a point, compassion, understanding, ...  Something that is hard enough to do through the pod cast and much harder to do through the forums.

Each video shouldn't be more than 15 to 20 minutes long, talk about one topic maybe touch on another topic or two, then refer the viewer to which forums that would be best to answer questions related to what was covered, and that there is no such thing as a dumb question (that's what the VA wants us to believe that they are the source of all knowledge and cannot be refuted).

Mike_S

A seminar is a very good idea, and you are right in doing it your way. VSOs are not much if any different from an insurance salesman. They all lie and tell you they enjoy this job and it is just rewarding and doesn't pay anything, lol. Do insurance people make money or not?. I know several that make way more than I ever did, and I did ok. I would say most are above 100k. The higher the rank, the more they make. At some points they don't have to do anything, because the ;lower ranks are doing all the work and they get a cut of their sales, uughh, disability denial. They want you at 10% as long as they can, and when you reach 100%%, they don't draw that much, so the incentive is to screw the veteran. Believe it or not!

Of course, that surely must have been a dream, and there is no truth in it. They are VSOs because they care, they are patriotic, they just want to help the veterans, and they would do it for free because they don't make anything the way it is, lol. RIGHT!   Everyone should use their common sense, and if you feel that you are getting screwed, your VSO acts suspicious and runs you around like he is trying to screw you over, then YOU probably ARE GETTING SCREWED, because he is not a duck!  Good Luck.

Victor

On 6/9/2016 at 8:08 AM, SeabeeTJ said:

Ma'am,

The VA operator told me to submit it to them directly because they had my records due to a previously denied claim.  I also sent a request to the NPRC I think it is.  I received fax confirmations but no one can find the papers I submitted.

Have anyone that handles any paperwork for you, like a vso sending for a record request of any type, initial the request and you write their name down on the back of your copy, or a signature from them is better. They will be more apt to be honest when you have a gun to their head. You can make them be honest, even if they protest.

Never give up you original anything either. One thing I noticed is that they love the US MAIL, and never use the fax machine. The VA wants you to fax everything to the intake centers, but DAV never faxed anything for me. I filed in July and in November I was still not in the system--Go Figure that out. I had to refile and the DAV officer said "it doesn't matter, it will get back dated anyway". Bullxxxx it doesn't matter! It does to me. 

I couldn't join Ebenefits or do anything until I was in the system. I sat here the rest of July, August, September October, and about the first week of November I found out there was no claim for me in the system at all! I bet they used the US MAIL as an excuse for it to be missing. Any takers? Their fax machine is sitting right there, waiting, ready, but instead of mailing it in on Wednesday, they mailed it the following Monday, when the VA could have had it Wednesday, and I could have proof they got it.

My advise is get a lawyer or read for 6 or 8 months, making notes and educating yourself, and enter into this knowing you have to prove everything. You did not serve, were never injured or diseased, but if you were it was not while  in the military service, but if it was-prove it.Talk to other veterans, but trust no one and challenge everything. Prove it to yourself without a doubt before you file, and get a free consultation from a lawyer too.

Just do everything you can to feel comfortable about going with a VSO if you do use one, but they will barr you from communicating with the VA yourself and you will have to move at their pace.They screwed me around for 2 years that I didn't have to waste, and did all they could to deceive me, but I woke up. I was a nice guy that they lied to, so I would give you 2 cents for all of them as VSOs. Some really nice guys, but this is their livelihood and income, and they don't want you messing with it very much.  Good luck to all of you...

Victor

On 6/2/2016 at 1:03 PM, Buck52 said:

you might want to look on ebenny's and check to see if they still have DAV as your Rep?

Buck,

It took 2 IRIS complaints, but it's done! I got a phone call, asking what exactly I wanted, I said, to revoke the POA I gave to the DAV. Said they haven't helped me, and even blocked me, so I revoked their POA. Lady said let me look, 10 seconds later said yep, I see your request, will be done by EOB today.  Next day got an email stating it was done, 2 days ago got the snail mail hard copy of email.  Checked ebennies just now, and they are off the list!

Semper Fi

• HadIt.com Elder

Roger that Andyman

I think I will just keep DAV (For now)...even though I worked my claim myself without ANY HELP fom them at all....if I ever need an Attorney  Then I'll let him/her submit the revoke of POA.

I hate to call the VA about anything now days/the way they screw up things.

Good for you Buddy.

.................Buck

Buck.

Are you saying you worked your claims yourself, while DAV was your representative?

My DAV rep told me not to be in contact with the VA "at all". "DO NOT TALK TO THEM AGAIN" was the last warning I got, then I caught them lying to me, after several other lies, and dropped them the same day. There is a particular form you fill out and sign, and fax it in-"DONE". 

They also told me that "NEHMER" claims do not get any particular treatment. I don't know if that is true or not, but from what I read, they are to be handled "expeditiously", and there are repercussions if they are not.

Anyway, since I no longer have DAV, I have received records, that the VA now has, and I got them myself. Mr. DAV said I had never made any record requests at all for any records, but I have the request in my hands directly from their office. One lie after the other.

Anyway, things are starting to happen now, and I feel that the last 2 years have been a learning experience and not much more than that, so the seminars mentioned are a great idea, but ideally done before a VSO is chosen.

But to be clear, was DAV your representative while you were working your own claims? I am just curious as to why my reps were so adamantly against it, like it was a violation in the worse possible  sense. Thanks Buck.

Victor