Ask Your VA Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 
Read VA Disability Claims Articles
Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• tbirds-va-claims-struggle (1).png

• 01-2024-stay-online-donate-banner.png

Anyone Ever Heard Of Being Compensated For Impaired Fasting Glucose?

Rate this question

pilgrim01

Question

It is not Diabetes but just a higher level of glucose (I guess). No medication required. So, has anyone ever heard of someone being awarded this as a disability? Thanks!

• Answers 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

VA doesn't award comp for Impaired glucose.

http://www.va.gov/vetapp09/files2/0918759.txt

It is often called "pre-diabetes" and can often be well controlled- but it also can lead to full blown diabetes.

A VA endocrinologist went against my diabetes claim in 2005 by taking advantage of fact that VA had failed to give my husband adequate glucose testing (therefore there were very few glucose readings done-but the highest ones were while he was on a feeding tube-therefore very abnormally high -- a fact the VA consistently ignored. ).

But she -the VA doctor-did offer something I used to support the claim-

she said IGT means the veterans was 'at a risk for" developing diabetes.

I gave VA the medical definition of "risk" and then additional evidence of his documented symptoms of DMII that VA had never diagnosed properly.

You would be considered a "risk" for potential diabetes if this is not controlled by diet.

So this is something the VA should monitor.

I assume they gave you a HBIAC test too?

Also some diabetics have hyperlipedemia-due to cholestrol problems.

This is not a ratable secondary condition for DMII.

It can lead however to multiple other problems if not treated and controlled by diet and /or meds.

GRADUATE ! Nov 2nd 2007 American Military University !

When thousands of Americans faced annihilation in the 1800s Chief

Osceola's response to his people, the Seminoles, was

simply "They(the US Army)have guns, but so do we."

Sameo to us -They (VA) have 38 CFR ,38 USC, and M21-1- but so do we.

In the late 90s, I was working with the IHS Diabetes Program developing a Computerized Diabetes Registry. After doing a few chart reviews, we noticed that many symptoms were present prior to the patient developing Diabetes Mellitus Type 2 (DM II). This is part and parcel for Metabolic Syndrome X, which places you at great risk for DM II and Heart Disease.

This is not a diagnosis that you WILL develop the aforementioned conditions, but it is a huge wake-up call.

Since there is nothing seriously wrong, and you can recover in a relatively short period, Berta is correct in saying that it is not compensatable.

"It is a terrible thing, when you lose your train of thought and you only have a one track mind"... Me

96C2P/96F2P (old MOS designations)

97E2P/37F2P (new MOS designations)

• HadIt.com Elder

You have to have the official diagnosis of DMII to get compensated. What is the definition of high fasting glucose? The definition of DMII is a fasting glucose level of 126 or above. Anything lower is not considered DMII. Now if you HB1AC level is high enough that would do it also, but you need the DMII diagnosis. I have been there.

• HadIt.com Elder

In 1969 I was tested twice using the long test of fasting and than loading and testing. It involved 5 or 6 blood draws. The Doc told me mine was abnormal the reason they gave me a second one to confirm but did not meet the standards to call it hypoglycemia which at that time we thought was causing my panic attacks.

I have always thought that I could pursue it for a diabetes rating but why bother I am already 100%

Edited by Pete53

Veterans deserve real choice for their health care.

• HadIt.com Elder

The problem is that the veteran is on a controlled diet. This in a mild case of DMII, drops the glucose readings to below that used for formal diagnosis. Pre Diabetes is a condition that is treatable, a precursor to Diabetes, and if prediabetes is treated properly, the levels of gluecose may not reach those used for diagnosis for an extended period of time.

This is a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation. If the veteran does not allow the glucose level to reach diagnostic levels, the VA will not compensate. Actually, to me, a controlled diet to bring levels down to either normal levels or those below the diagnostic level is a prime indication of DMII. What is even worse is that the medical data shows that major complications can occur during this period. And the VA likes to deny them as well.

It sounds like the veteran needs to consider the effects of diet, and what gluecose levels exist with a "normal" diet. If they reach diagnostic levels, the veteran HAS DMII.

It is not Diabetes but just a higher level of glucose (I guess). No medication required. So, has anyone ever heard of someone being awarded this as a disability? Thanks!

If you have a fasting glucose level from 100 to 125 mg/dL are considered to have impaired fasting glucose, which is an symptom of pre-diabetes. As John999 mentioned, FBG of 126 mg/dL or higher is considered Diabetes. Berta mentioned the HbA1c (or A1c) which measures the average of blood glucose over the previous 900 days or so. A1c is not used in diagnosis, but a reading over 6% is abnormal. 6.5% is the target goal for diabetic treatment.

The all important question for you is, what is your fasting blood glucose? If you are pre-diabetec, you need to keep track. You won't know if you creep into the diabetic range. There are symptoms--read webmd or www.diabetes.org for more information on diabetes and pre-diabetes--but not everybody has all the symptoms and they can be subtle.

Diabetes controlled by diet alone is worth 10%...add oral meds and you get 20%. Pre-D? bupkis

Since you are, unfortunately, at greater risk for DMII, you need to keep checking.