VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

100% (Iu P&t): Is There Any Reason To Pursue Claims?

Rate this question

hedgey

Question

I don't know if this is in the right forum, but since my 100% is from TDIU, I figured here is the right place.

I've seen that some vets here continue to file claims even after being rated 100%. Why would that be wise, I wonder?

I have a NOD 1 year deadline this week. They low-balled me on my feet (this is according to my VA podiatrist) and denied my knee completely. My NOD would be supported by physical therapy notes, a years worth of podiatry notes, etc.

But I know that since I'm 70% PTSD, 10 & 10 for each foot, getting to 100 scheduler isn't likely (right?).

I also wonder if I should pursue a claim about my IBS. It was dx'd by VA docs, and there's notes by my VA psychiatrist that it's stress-related, so I would claim it as secondary or aggravated by PTSD. I also wonder about my hypertension. It's controlled by meds (most of the time) but it's part of this PTSD package.

It won't get me any higher rating, so would there be any other advantage? Would it make them more considerate about allowing non-VA tests if it was for an SC problem?

These are all issues that I've been told to file claims on, because "it could be important down the road". Is that true?

Edited to Add: If it were up to me, I'd never file for anything else. I dread the thought of the ordeal, the C&P's etc. But I have a family, so I guess for their sake I'm asking this question.

Edited by hedgey

• Answers 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

hedgey - a couple of reasons vets file additional claims are 1) to try to ensure that if they die their spouse will get DIC, 2) to get the service disabled life insurance, if they didn't purchase it initially, and 3) because additional disabilities can pay Special Monthly Compensation (SMC), which is additional to the 100% payment you are receiving.

pr

I don't know if this is in the right forum, but since my 100% is from TDIU, I figured here is the right place.

I've seen that some vets here continue to file claims even after being rated 100%. Why would that be wise, I wonder?

I have a NOD 1 year deadline this week. They low-balled me on my feet (this is according to my VA podiatrist) and denied my knee completely. My NOD would be supported by physical therapy notes, a years worth of podiatry notes, etc.

But I know that since I'm 70% PTSD, 10 & 10 for each foot, getting to 100 scheduler isn't likely (right?).

I also wonder if I should pursue a claim about my IBS. It was dx'd by VA docs, and there's notes by my VA psychiatrist that it's stress-related, so I would claim it as secondary or aggravated by PTSD. I also wonder about my hypertension. It's controlled by meds (most of the time) but it's part of this PTSD package.

It won't get me any higher rating, so would there be any other advantage? Would it make them more considerate about allowing non-VA tests if it was for an SC problem?

These are all issues that I've been told to file claims on, because "it could be important down the road". Is that true?

Edited to Add: If it were up to me, I'd never file for anything else. I dread the thought of the ordeal, the C&P's etc. But I have a family, so I guess for their sake I'm asking this question.

• HadIt.com Elder

I got the insurance and SMC by filing claims after I was TDIU. I don't mean file for a hang nail but if it is something that might kill then file. If you have SC high blood pressure, for instance, file a claim. If I die it will be from a SC condition unless I get hit by a beer truck. That means DIC for spouse. All old single vets should marry just to insure someone gets DIC. This is our only revenge besides a long life.

If I could I would file for some other diagnoses but when the VA granted me 100% PT no future exams, they said if I took that I could not file again for anything or I would loose it :ph34r: soooo unless you were made to take "their deal" I would file as the others have posted because of DIC...

• HadIt.com Elder

halos2 - they can't legally do that. You may want to check with an attorney.

pr

If I could I would file for some other diagnoses but when the VA granted me 100% PT no future exams, they said if I took that I could not file again for anything or I would loose it :ph34r: soooo unless you were made to take "their deal" I would file as the others have posted because of DIC...