Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Active Duty Army Etsing

Rate this question

darrenfpc

Question

Hello all,

Active Duty Army Soldier ETS'ing in 13 months. I can't start Benefits Delivery at Discharge until 6 months prior to ETS.

Just getting a feel for the VA Disability process since nobody I know has gotten out and gotten a percentage.

I am an SGT and will have been in 8 years at time of seperation. I've had a few medical issues during my service. I will list them below:

Diagnosed with a seizure disorder, had a seizure while deployed in 07 and another one in 08 when withdrawn from medication. On Depakote 500mg/daily permanently now. This did not qualify me to be medically retired, but did destroy my Green to Gold packet.

Diagnosed with Hypertension treated with Mycardis HCT 80mg/daily.

Diagnosed with Mild Sleep Apnea in 2011 with prescription for an APAP machine.

Gone to doctor several times (in medical records) regarding hearing loss and tinnitus (ringing in the ear).

What do you think my percentages will be? Ball park?

Also what document/forms determine the rating scheme? Is there some sort of giant VA disability list of diseases/problems that have ratings? How is the rating determined, some sort of formula?

Thanks for the help everybody.

• Answers 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

4 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

If you have put in 8 years why are you getting out now. Are you being boarded out? If you stay for another 12 years you get retirement plus payment for disabilites. Do your medical issues make your promotion impossible? If you get out there are few jobs out here. You better get ready for lots of schooling I think. If you get less than a 30% rating from military you get severance pay and must also apply to the VA.

If you have put in 8 years why are you getting out now. Are you being boarded out? If you stay for another 12 years you get retirement plus payment for disabilites. Do your medical issues make your promotion impossible? If you get out there are few jobs out here. You better get ready for lots of schooling I think. If you get less than a 30% rating from military you get severance pay and must also apply to the VA.

I'll have my Bachelor of Science in Nursing 2 months after I ETS. I'm attending the Wayland Baptist University program offered in San Antonio.

No offense sir, but I no longer have the desire to stay enlisted. My seizure disorder has effectively ended any hope of being commissioned. That is why I am leaving the service.

• HadIt.com Elder

I see your point. I would definitely try and get the highest level of disability I can and it will probably be from the VA rather than the military. If you can do any kind of nursing considering your seizure disorder and collect VA disability that would be good. You might try and get as much education as you can to do the administrative stuff if you get a masters degree in nursing. I don't know how stress affects your disorder. Good luck and keep posting. Others are more expert on military disability as opposed to VA. If your rating from the VA is not high enough you should hire your own private doctor to help you get more.

Has the military found a reason for why you are having seizures ?

Are they the result of TBI or a head injury ?

For VBA purposes,the rating criteria for seizures are located under Diagnostic Codes (DC) 8910 / 8911.

http://edocket.access.gpo.gov/cfr_2009/julqtr/38cfr4.124a.htm

Carlie passed away in November 2015 she is missed.