Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Vonapp

Rate this question

Stilt

Question

I am new to the forum. I served in the Army in Vietnam (In-Country) 1968-1969. I was discharged in 1970. Back in 1998 or thereabouts I began experiencing episodes where I was falling down. After a trip to my doctor I learned I had diabetes. I currently take three meds to control it. In March of this year at my yearly physical my doctor became concern with the rapid rise in my PSA score. He referred me to a urologist who diagnosed that I had prostate cancer. I was shell shocked by this news. The doctor gave me two weeks to digest the news and make a decision on the course of treatment. The urologist advised me of the Agent Orange link to prostate cancer and I should look into the VA program. I was aware of the Agent Orange debate but since at the time it did not affect me, it was all background noise. Little did I know I was affected. Anyway, I applied for compensation using the VA's VONAPP process. After conducting more research, I think I might have been better to apply through my county VA representative. From what I have read it appears the VA might not be as accommodating without representation. Has this been the experience of others?

Edited by Stilt

• Answers 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Welcome to Hadit

Veterans deserve real choice for their health care.

• HadIt.com Elder

For presumptive agent orange the only question is percentage for your DMII and residuals of the prostate cancer. You will get the service connection pretty easily and probably pretty quickly by VA standards.

I am new to the forum. I served in the Army in Vietnam (In-Country) 1968-1969. I was discharged in 1970. Back in 1998 or thereabouts I began experiencing episodes where I was falling down. After a trip to my doctor I learned I had diabetes. I currently take three meds to control it. In March of this year at my yearly physical my doctor became concern with the rapid rise in my PSA score. He referred me to a urologist who diagnosed that I had prostate cancer. I was shell shocked by this news. The doctor gave me two weeks to digest the news and make a decision on the course of treatment. The urologist advised me of the Agent Orange link to prostate cancer and I should look into the VA program. I was aware of the Agent Orange debate but since at the time it did not affect me, it was all background noise. Little did I know I was affected. Anyway, I applied for compensation using the VA's VONAPP process. After conducting more research, I think I might have been better to apply through my county VA representative. From what I have read it appears the VA might not be as accommodating without representation. Has this been the experience of others?

From the research I have done, the difference is really small in comparison of representation vs self representing when it comes to initial claims. It is something like 18.5% approval vs 18.1% approval for self representation. Now for the other levels it is a different story.You picked a good time to file.Congree is hot on the VA raters to get your type of claim settled quickly. I just had a long talk yesterday with my Congressmans Vet representative and he assures me that ALL of CONGRESS stands united on getting the AO claims done and the Homeless Vet problem taken care of immediately. It is top priority with all of Congress.Good Luck on your claim. Mike

• HadIt.com Elder

No, what did your patch look like? Did they operate down south in III Corp? I have heard of them. Where did you spend your time in Vietnam? Did you go all over or stay in one area? The main infantry units in my area were 25th Infantry and 9th Infantry.

From what I have read it appears the VA might not be as accommodating without representation. Has this been the experience of others?

Stilt,

You should be fine representing yourself on these issues.

JMHO

Carlie passed away in November 2015 she is missed.