VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Tdiu Re-Exam In Twelve Months?

Rate this question

deviant

Question

Havent posted in awhile, had my re exam but all kids of weird stuff came from the VA about drill pay and stuff was what was used as the reason? Weird but the exam said the same as the last one and my benefits are intact. Social Security benefits were approved about 8 months after TDIU was granted all thanks to some people pointing me in the right direction, thanks again folks. But the SSD said that the evidence showed in 2007 and the VA said 2009. Basically my question is since the ssd came through and the re exam showed the same results as before should I file for P&T now? should I even bother about the 2 year gap which was very real for me at the time but Im getting by now so it sounds just greedy to me? IDK any thoughts would be appreciated

• Answers 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

5 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

deviant - you can ask for P&T, now, bearing in mind that anytime you request an increase the VA can(and usually does) look at the whole claims file and could reduce your benefit(s). If you are comfortable w/your claim, then I would ask for P&T, now, and not worry about it. You can request the earlier date of 2007, w/the SSD award, as evidence, but it may not bring any additional money and again opens your claim to "prying eyes." Sometimes you're better off just letting things go. Myself, I chase everything, kinda like a dog chasing cars. They are your decisions. jmo

pr

Havent posted in awhile, had my re exam but all kids of weird stuff came from the VA about drill pay and stuff was what was used as the reason? Weird but the exam said the same as the last one and my benefits are intact. Social Security benefits were approved about 8 months after TDIU was granted all thanks to some people pointing me in the right direction, thanks again folks. But the SSD said that the evidence showed in 2007 and the VA said 2009. Basically my question is since the ssd came through and the re exam showed the same results as before should I file for P&T now? should I even bother about the 2 year gap which was very real for me at the time but Im getting by now so it sounds just greedy to me? IDK any thoughts would be appreciated

VA TDIU is not base on the same standards as SSDI. SSDI will look at non SC illness to. SSDI will help in granting a TDIU claim, but the but you may not get the earlier date. you can try IF your VSO thinks you have a case. ONLY if.

As for the T&P ask your VSO, and then ask. I do it all of the time. if your older then 45 it is not a bad idea.

Just like PR said, if you know there's not anything in your claim that'll come back and bite you in the rear, then yes why not. P&T does come with the extra benefits for education, ChampVA, ect. This is really great if you have a family.

Coot

I think I will just sit with what I have for a bit, if they take it then Im back to square one and will lose the family home. However my daughter is 16 years old and quite possibly one of the smartest, sweetest, and perfectly mannered person I know. The VA sent her a paper after her birthday talking about her education benefits. It just scares me that I might not be able to give her what she deserves, thats all I was trying to do when I got roughed up in the first place. Thanks for the info

• HadIt.com Elder

I would say this is your chance to get P&T. I got P&T within one year. If you are TDIU and don't have a job then that is proof that you have not improved in the last year and your condition is static. When I was denied P&T when I got TDIU I was so mad I appealed the denial of Chapter 35 and got an IMO. I got a DRO Hearing and got my P&T within a year. I should have got 100%, but because the damn VA had me DX'ed as being schizophrenic and I was not actively psychotic they would only give me 70%. I got a rating for a "nervous condition" way back in 1971 which was probably PTSD, but they had no name for it then so they just slapped schizophrenia on it. I have thought about that a lot since then. There is a condition called "dissociative disorder" and I fit the bill for that completely at the time I filed in 1972. The VA and the Army are just very, very dumb.