VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

C&P Exams went well but what happened while I was there infuriated me!

Rate this question

Navy4life

Question

So I went to the QTC office for my TWO C&P exams today.  First one was at 1300 and it was my MH C&P exam for PTSD/MST and my eating disorder.  Was with the doctor for about 1-1/2 hours and we went through everything thorough.  Apparently the reason I had this C&P was the fact that the VA originally rated me for Anorexia Nervosa back in 2014 separately from my MH PTSD/MST/Anxiety.  Looks like I should be under Bulimia rating because of my binging/purging with laxatives and the abuse of the laxatives.  The discussion was good, she did not have me 'totally' relive the disgusting event but we did touch on certain aspects.  I was personally assaulted resulting with a pregnancy where I lost the child in my late first trimester/early second trimester.  I felt pretty good about the exam and thanked her.

So I had a few hours to kill before my next C&P at 1615 so I went and got something to eat and chilled.  Got back to the office around 1530.  Now mind you I was already a bit anxious from my discussion a few hours prior.  This exam coming up was for an increase to my L ankle.  I am currently on a knee bike and I have an ankle brace on my left foot. So there I am sitting in the waiting room minding my own business.  Look at FB to kill time and I over hear a conversation taking place behind the glass in the office area.  Now keep in mind, I suffer from MST!  here is the conversation:

Employee #1 - So this lady was raped 12 years ago.  It's apparent you can't do a rape kit.  How does she prove this?

Employee #2 - Well the VA takes there word I guess.  

Employee #1 - Well that doesn't sound right, how do they know if she is telling the truth or not

SO I F***** LOST IT!  I MEAN I FREAKED THE F'OUT!  Went up to the glass and said "who the hell do you think you are to even be talking about a patient and their personal file like that?"  And "who are you to determine whether the person is lying or not?" "It's not up to you but rather a doctor!!!!!"  I asked for his name and he told me it and I asked for a supervisor...Well guess who the supervisor was!  That guy!  WTF!  I got the other ladies name and by now he had brought into the back b/c of how upset I was and just kept saying "I'm sorry" "I'm Sorry"  Are you serious?  By now the doctor who had examined me for my MH C&P came out and brought me to her office to console me.  I was sobbing, I am mean literally sobbing like a baby.  She said that was uncalled for and I told her "you are damn right it is".  I am going to report this to the VA, the QTC corporation, anyone I can get ahold of!

Needless to say I had to get myself together so that I could do my next C&P exam for my left ankle.  That doctor, too, heard the whole situation and was so appalled at his actions.  I told her thank you.  We were able to get through my L ankle C&P.  She said b/c of my right foot in a "non-weight bearing status" she couldn't do the "normal" testing of both feet/ankles.  She said I am noting it and she also said that the knee bike I am using now for my right foot, is probably causing even worse issues to my left foot ankle b/c now I have all the weight on my left foot/ankle.  She told me that I should get a wheel chair and to discuss with my podiatrist.  My calf muscle is significantly smaller now on my right foot but that is to be expected.  Over all the this exam went well and I believe favorable too.

So with all that going on today I am just completely devastated and reverting back to my old self....

Thank you for letting me vent!

45 minutes ago, GuaymasJim said:

I am very pleased with these developments!  Dr. Clancy has been extremely helpful to a number of veterans including me.

This is a perfect example of using the right tool for the job.  A calm accurate explanation of the facts, as opposed to personal opinions and emotional rants, in any given situation will always be much more productive.

If your caller ID captured the QTC director’s telephone number and you have the person’s name, please post it or at the very least share the information with Buck.

For the sake of clarity and accuracy, HIPAA is the correct acronym for the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act that was passed by Congress in 1996 (and amended several times thereafter).  Unfortunately, while HIPAA protects the health information of individuals, it does not create a private cause of action for those aggrieved. Individual State laws, however, may provide other theories of liability.

Thank you for your reply and support....

The QTC director's phone number is on my cell phone but I won't provide it on a social forum.  I believe that would be an in just to the director b/c she would be open to any and all calls from Veteran's.  I believe if someone thinks they have a legitimate claimant to go the route I went and report the incident to the QTC "800" number.  If someone really wants to talk to her, I would suggest you PM and let's talk and go from there....

• HadIt.com Elder

I don't think I need it? (HER NUMBER?)

My say in this is very limited, Navy4life  and I had our C&P at this same address/Location not sure if we had the same Dr's or not?

but the young man with cowboy boots and long stringy dirty looking hair at the QTC office was not friendly and he told me the wrong thing to do with my travel pay form he stamped it and said that's all here, just take it back to your VA Hospital and turn it in, he did this before my C&P was conducted.

he was alone  no one else was with him in the office I did not see a female or another male in the office  although this was on  a Sat at 10:00am on 23rd Jan 2016

However my C&P Examiner Dr (physiatrist ) seem very friendly and helpful.

..............Buck

Navy4life, it is certainly your call whether or not to share the information. I was only suggesting that you do so. Personally, I have never had any dealings with them, so I don’t had a dog in the fight. However, if I had that information I would certainly post it.

Many of us on hadit choose to post names and numbers in order to provide fellow veterans with direct channels to the people who can actually make a difference rather than having to talk with Peggy, etc.  The only way we are going to get the “system” to improve is by putting heat on high level players. Sec. McDonald gave out his cell phone # and email address on national television. Dr. Clancy’s telephone number is right on the email she sent to you (and me).

Although QTC is a public company, it does have a contract with the VA worth hundreds of millions of dollars; so they are most assuredly part of the “system” which so desperately needs improving.  You can bet the QTC person you spoke with is being highly compensated; so she should be not only willing but very prepared to field calls from any veteran dissatisfied with his/her QTC experience(s). QTC has a very checkered past with MANY complaints lodged and sustained against them for inadequate and/or faulty C&P exams.  Many veterans have been forced to spend enormous amounts of scarce dollars on IMOs; and then wait for years appealing these defective QTC exams. 

Social media is the most powerful instrument of change, for better or worse, in existence today.  While I’m not sure that I would classify hadit as “social” media, hadit and its members have been a powerful force in improving many veterans’ lives including mine.

Again, Navy4life, I am very pleased this worked out as it did for you.

Buck, I reread your posts; and I see clearly that I was mistaken.

Edited by GuaymasJim

37 minutes ago, GuaymasJim said:

Navy4life, it is certainly your call whether or not to share the information. I was only suggesting that you do so. Personally, I have never had any dealings with them, so I don’t had a dog in the fight. However, if I had that information I would certainly post it.

Many of us on hadit choose to post names and numbers in order to provide fellow veterans with direct channels to the people who can actually make a difference rather than having to talk with Peggy, etc.  The only way we are going to get the “system” to improve is by putting heat on high level players. Sec. McDonald gave out his cell phone # and email address on national television. Dr. Clancy’s telephone number is right on the email she sent to you (and me).

Although QTC is a public company, it does have a contract with the VA worth hundreds of millions of dollars; so they are most assuredly part of the “system” which so desperately needs improving.  You can bet the QTC person you spoke with is being highly compensated; so she should be not only willing but very prepared to field calls from any veteran dissatisfied with his/her QTC experience(s). QTC has a very checkered past with MANY complaints lodged and sustained against them for inadequate and/or faulty C&P exams.  Many veterans have been forced to spend enormous amounts of scarce dollars on IMOs; and then wait for years appealing these defective QTC exams. 

Social media is the most powerful instrument of change, for better or worse, in existence today.  While I’m not sure that I would classify hadit as “social” media, hadit and its members have been a powerful force in improving many veterans’ lives including mine.

Again, Navy4life, I am very pleased this worked out as it did for you.

Buck, I reread your posts; and I see clearly that I was mistaken.

Don't get me wrong, I am ALL about providing information to other Veteran's.  I have been provided a lot of valuable information to include emails, phone numbers, names, etc on here.  I agree that the ones that have "gladly" provided their information is very helpful.  However, the QTC director's number is not something I am going to put out there.  She didn't freely say "give my number out to other Veteran's" like the Under Secretary did, like the head VA rep, Carolyn did.  They have freely stated to provide their information publicly.  The lady I spoke to, did not say, "please feel free to give my number out", and to me that is something I am not just going to publicly post, but what I am going to do is call her tomorrow and see if she would not mind me sharing her number.  I am not sure if the number she called from is an office number or her cell phone and I certainly don't want to violate her privacy.  I am sure you can understand that right????

I will take the step to ADVOCATE for other Veteran's and see if I can pass her phone number on to other Veteran's.  I certainly want to try and help other Veteran's.  

Another route, is to do what I did, file the incident report with QTC b/c I got a call within days of my incident report from this lady.

I appreciate your responses and I certainly appreciate your view on this.  We are on the same page.....

Edited by Navy4life
add text

Just another update!  I received another call from QTC and this time from the Chief Executive Officer (BTW he is a Veteran as well) Grant, and he was appalled at the situation.  My incident was escalated to his office after I spoke to Shawn yesterday.  I told him I appreciated his call and the fact that they were really taking the necessary steps to ensure this doesn't happen to another Veteran.  He told me that their actions were uncalled for and that they will be held accountable.

This just confirmed to me that they are really taking care of the entire situation!

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

Navy4life,
Receiving that kind of call is a good thing. Do you think they will really change or is this just damage control. When big $ contracts are involved, a common practice is to get out in front of it before the problem is made aware to the VA or the media. Does the VA have any knowledge of what happened?