Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Question

Please, welcome new VET2VET podcast episode:

https://youtu.be/waV5t0HPtbM

Today we are joined by Thomas Wendel, DAV National area supervisor for West Cost Region.
Thomas E. Wendel served in the U. S. Marine Corps from 1983 until 1997.
Since 1999, Tom has worked assisting veterans in processing various entitlement claims on the local, state and federal levels; first in Clare County as a county service officer and then when he came to work for the Disabled American Veterans in 2000. In 2008 he was promoted to the position of supervisor of the DAV Service Office in Detroit and later he was promoted to the position of supervisor of the DAV National area for West Cost Region.
DAV is America’s largest, most effective veterans service organizations dedicated to the needs of those injured, ill or wounded in service. We have more than 1,300 Chapters in communities nationwide to help make sure veterans from all generations and their families get the benefits and support they deserve. Today, nearly 1.3 million veterans belong to DAV, and we encourage you to add your voice to the cause. Our programs and free services help all veterans get the health, disability and financial benefits they earned. Take advantage of our benefits claims assistance, medical transportation and employment resources. Your local DAV Chapter is a great way to connect with fellow veterans in your area.

★ JOIN US IN OUR COMMITMENT TO YOU AND OUR FELLOW VETERANS ★
▶ facebook.com/VETOVET2
▶ itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/vet2vet/id1077206523?mt=2
▶ twitter.com/VETOVET2
▶ youtube.com/c/VETOVET2
▶ plus.google.com/u/0/+VETOVET2
▶ goo.gl/app/playmusic?ibi=com.google.PlayMusic&isi=691797987&ius=googleplaymusic&link=https://play.google.com/music/m/Iiqawbuzg7eviiyqm6xz7kju62m?t%3DVET2VET
▶ feeds.soundcloud.com/users/soundcloud:users:198832065/sounds.rss
▶ soundcloud.com/vet2vet
▶ stitcher.com/s?fid=80842&refid=stpr

★ LIMITED LIABILITY CLAUSE ★

THE INFORMATION AVAILABLE THROUGH THE VET2VET MAY INCLUDE INACCURACIES OR ERRORS. CHANGES ARE PERIODICALLY ADDED TO THE INFORMATION HEREIN. VET2VET MAY MAKE IMPROVEMENTS AND/OR CHANGES OF THE CONTENT AT ANY TIME. ADVICE RECEIVED VIA VET2VET SHOULD NOT BE RELIED UPON FOR PERSONAL, MEDICAL, LEGAL OR FINANCIAL DECISIONS AND YOU SHOULD CONSULT AN APPROPRIATE PROFESSIONAL FOR SPECIFIC ADVICE TAILORED TO YOUR SITUATION.

IF YOU ARE DISSATISFIED WITH ANY PORTION OF VET2VET, YOUR SOLE AND EXCLUSIVE REMEDY IS TO DISCONTINUE CONSULTING VET2VET.

Edited by VETOVET

2 hours ago, EODCMC said:

Andyman,

Yep. I'm reluctant to drop them. Who knows what that might do to my claim. 

You have the right to drop them if you are not satisfied at any time. Some of them act like they own the office, and are doing you a big favor by answering questions. They get paid to do that, and if they are too lazy to do their job, they should get out, resign, or refer you to someone that will help you. You have to help yourself stay on top of them staying on top of your status. You may get lost in the process so stay in touch with them "often".  Good luck.

Victor

On 6/15/2016 at 4:54 PM, EODCMC said:

This whole process is bonkers. My VSO is the VFW. They have helped me by returning one phone call after my leaving several voice mails and e-mails. The lady told me that they have access to my file and if my claim was denied to let them know and they would help me. One end of the pendulum to the other.

It is at least as likely to be denied as it is not. Join Ebenefits if you have not already, and you can sort of keep track of where you are in the process. Go see them regularly, at least every week. Use "Ask IRIS" for questions that the VFW don't answer to your satisfaction, and don't feel bad for bugging them. That is their job. It can be a long, or very long process, and it shouldn't be, the way it is, but for now, its all we have. Good luck.

Victor Ray

Thanks Victor,

It sounds like you've been on quite a ride. The waiting game is nothing new for a career serviceman.

I'm fortunate that my affliction was diagnosed and Tricare has me on CPAP. I actually feel a big difference. I get a good nights rest and many of the symptoms have improved. My memory is slow to recover, however. They say the second thing that goes is one's memory anyway.

I wish you well.

VR, any chance your could post redacted copies of your Award/Denial Letter and subsequent SOC & SSOC's? If you've already posted them, just point me at the page. I'm lazy, it's easier to ask then look.

Do you have a DX that your close to "Knocking on Heaven's Door?" Nam Vet,  your mid to late 60's early 70's, right.

A Claim/Appeals time line would be informative. How long in the "NWQ?"

Semper Fi

Gaston,

I am almost 65 years old. I do not have a terminal illness diagnosis with a date, but statistics show this and that. Example is People with my calcium score have a life expectancy of 4 1/2 years after diagnosis. 2 1/2 of those are gone. I barely survived a stroke, and may have already had another, but they found a 13 X 5 hypodensity in the brain after I was admitted with BP of 204/101, but normal heart rate. It went to 227/109 and stayed for hours, but it was brought down artificially. I have CAD 30% rated and hypertension be but denied.

I have been in the NWQ since June 13 2016, but sitting in the active claims since mid April

i am supposed to have a DRO, which should be around end of Nov. That would be about 310 days from January 16, 2016. It won't surprise me if they don't remand it to mak sure I die before resolution. It is a scam designed to drive vets to suicide. The VA causes these suicides by making guys wait years for a resolution, and the claims go through dozens of hands, but why? They aren't allowed to make a decision, but dozens study your claims anyway, then it gets passed on to someone else that looks at it, but aren't allowed to make a decision except deny. These are groups or teams looking for a reason to deny the claim or send it back into the process, that's all. There are good, honest, correct claims, that are denied over a small worded phrase ruining people's lives, and that is bullsh... These raters are looking for mistakes in the claim, technicalities that will allow them to deny a claim, incorrect dates, politically incorrect medical name for the injury or illness, or anyway the VA can escape liability, and put the veteran back in the system without an award. The VA is not looking to honor its commitment, but to save the governments interest.  

Why the SOC or SSOC? What would that do? If the facts don't make any difference, why would any SOC. It is all lies anyway. It will say it was not incurred or aggravated by military service, or not service related. I will see what I can dig up. By the way, I have and am in the process of changing all my doctors. They are not interested in anything except the number of clients they can see that perticular day. Money money money. I will try to find tat decision. Thank you.

Victor Ray 

Gaston,

i revoked DAVs POA on the 11 April 2016. DAV turned around and told the VA to not issue any benefits basically, and on the 3rd day the VA awarded me "0" benefits. It is a disgusting organization. Thanks

Victor

image.jpeg