Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 
Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

100% P&t, Prior Fed Employee... Social Sec. Disability?

Rate this question

Spent warrior

Question

I recently got blessed with 100% P&T mostly as a result of my PTSD and depression. I was forced to retire early because of my sicknesses, but I do get some retirement pay from the fed gov.

I worked 15 years in the private sector and most of my SS retirement will be done away because of a change that was put in during the Reagan Administration ("windfall elemination provision)

Sould I be applying for Social Security Disability also? I'm not a money hog... my finances are a mess because of my disability, my wife is disabled without SS, and I have a wayword daughter who costs me a lot. [on the bright side I have a wonder loving best grandson in the world.. Mikey)

Thanks

• Answers 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Were you under FERS during your government job?.........Anyhoo, YES you need to apply for SSDI ASAP.

Edited by JR Reihs

Do yourself a favor.....buy some gold and silver! The printing presses are in overdrive.

SSDI should be slam dunk with 100% PT

The rules for VA disability and SSDI are different, and being 100% SC'ed by the VA is not a slam dunk for SSDI. You need to make sure you have all your evidence to prove to Social Security that you are unable to work 'at all', and they have to find you completely disabled. Different Social Security regions give VA evaluations different weights that may be used to determine disability. There are too many 100% SC veterans, who have been denied by Social Security.

It seems each session, the House starts a resolution for an equivalency law that would mean 100% VA would entail 100% SSDI, and vice versa; but it always dies in the Ways and Means committee, never making it to a vote.

"It is a terrible thing, when you lose your train of thought and you only have a one track mind"... Me

96C2P/96F2P (old MOS designations)

97E2P/37F2P (new MOS designations)

• HadIt.com Elder

If under FERS, then you have to file for SSDI. They will offset each other. This sucks but they have us right where they want us.

J

A Veteran is a person who served this country. Treat them with respect.

A Disabled Veteran is a person who served this country and bears the scars of that service regardless of when or where they served.

Treat them with the upmost respect. I do. Rejection is not a sign of failure. Failure is not an option, Medical opinions and evidence wins claims. Trust in others is a virtue but you take the T out of Trust and you are left with Rust so be wise about who you are dealing with.