• veteranscrisisline-badge-chat-1.gif

• Advertisemnt

• Trouble Remembering? This helped me.

I have memory problems and as some of you may know I highly recommend Evernote and have for years. Though I've found that writing helps me remember more. I ran across Tom's videos on youtube, I'm a bit geeky and I also use an IPad so if you take notes on your IPad or you are thinking of going paperless check it out. I'm really happy with it, I use it with a program called Noteshelf 2.

Click here to purchase your digital journal. HadIt.com receives a commission on each purchase.

• 14 Questions about VA Disability Compensation Benefits Claims

questions-001@3x.png

When a Veteran starts considering whether or not to file a VA Disability Claim, there are a lot of questions that he or she tends to ask. Over the last 10 years, the following are the 14 most common basic questions I am asked about ...
    Continue Reading

• Ads

• Most Common VA Disabilities Claimed for Compensation:   

tinnitus-005.pngptsd-005.pnglumbosacral-005.pngscars-005.pnglimitation-flexion-knee-005.pngdiabetes-005.pnglimitation-motion-ankle-005.pngparalysis-005.pngdegenerative-arthitis-spine-005.pngtbi-traumatic-brain-injury-005.png

• Advertisemnt

• VA Watchdog

• Advertisemnt

• Ads

• Can a 100 percent Disabled Veteran Work and Earn an Income?

employment 2.jpeg

You’ve just been rated 100% disabled by the Veterans Affairs. After the excitement of finally having the rating you deserve wears off, you start asking questions. One of the first questions that you might ask is this: It’s a legitimate question – rare is the Veteran that finds themselves sitting on the couch eating bon-bons … Continue reading

Sign in to follow this  
VetsLady

More Proof ?

Question

Here we go, on the hamster wheel ride again.

Already established boots on ground in Vietnam, sc for AO related conditions since April '08 and today we rec'd a request to prove my husband was in Vietnam.

He is part of the Nehmer action, has hypertension that was denied several years ago (when we had a not so hot VSO who didn't file a Form 9 with hypertension on it,

at least they listed the meat of the claim)....so we're at square peg No. 1 on the hypertension again. His recent decision granting him P&T at 100% doesn't mention

hypertension however it was reopened with new evidence in August 2010. The P&T decision stated hypertension and increase of PN is deferred. VA is getting around

to working on the rest of his claim now. He went through an extensive QTC exam in early this year and they have all of those records. The last VCAA notice we sent

in, we told them to rate it now, we have no other information at this time.

If he gets a 0% rating on the hypertension that is fine and dandy. It's ratable though, but getting it sc is much more important at this point. His Mets are not too low but

his BP is high even on medication. Can he exercise ? Not without severe pain in his feet and legs from the PN. The PN is currently rated at 10% each lower extremity

but that was from 2008. Currently, he has to take 2 medications to keep the pain dulled.

What and Why could they possible need him to verify and prove he was in Vietnam when it's already been established and rated ? I politely referred them to his rating

decision from April 2008 stating so. THIS makes me wonder, Do the Raters really read the pertinent information in the file ? If they missed this, their own decision,

what else could they miss from a Veterans claim file ? At least we can hope the double checks and balances the VA supposedly does would have caught this but,

then I don't really know.

Most importantly, it does prove that Veterans and/or their spouses/helpers, etc. must be on top of the file and know what is going on.

I'd be interested in any thoughts anyone might have....?

Edited by VetsLady

3 answers to this question

Yes only one! The VA doesn't solve our problems, they create them!!! I read that somewhere. ha

Hypertension is not an Agent Orange issue.

If it was not found during service or within the first year after separation, It is almost impossible to get connected. The Proof of RVN service should not be an issue since they have conceeded it already. What you received is a letter from a VA employee who absolutely has no freaking idea of what they are doing.

Write an IRIS to the manager and explain that to them. Maybe the person who sent this letter needs additional training.

Hang in there and dont give up.

J

Hypertension is not an Agent Orange issue.

If it was not found during service or within the first year after separation, It is almost impossible to get connected. The Proof of RVN service should not be an issue since they have conceeded it already. What you received is a letter from a VA employee who absolutely has no freaking idea of what they are doing.

Write an IRIS to the manager and explain that to them. Maybe the person who sent this letter needs additional training.

Hang in there and dont give up.

J

My thoughts exactly. They puled anemia out of there also as anemia can be a symptom/side affect of Luekemia. When he filed all those years ago, he was anemic but not from Luekemia, from chemo for another condition for which is he now 100% sc for. The former Rep had us list each and every ailment he had. When I think about it now, it was like throwing in a dozen poles to maybe catch 1 fish. Needless to say, we dropped them like hot potatoes when they didn't show up for his BVA hearing....a person was there, but they didn't have his info, his file updates, nada. Veterans staying as well informed as they can about their claim is the big lesson we learned the long and hard way.

On the IHD, they need another examination ........... he had an extensive workup earlier this year. Guess the VA wants to turn over every stone and leaf so they don't miss anything that might come back to bite them in their hind ends.

Thank you for the support. At least this time around I have a much better understanding of how the who's do their whatevers !

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By rightstrivinsissy
      Hello Hadit Helpers, 
      I feel like I am stumbling around blind. I hope someone can help me see.
      I was service connected in 2011 severe anxiety due to mst and a bladder condition.
      I have not had gainful employment since ETSing in 2004. I was re-evaluated for an increase and received an overall 70 - 40 -10 but started being payed at 80% in 2016. 
      In June of 2019 I applied for TDIU. I hit the make a decision now button on ebenefits, which was like shooting my own foot for lack of patience, not realizing that this meant the VA could not request any further info from me.
      In August I was denied, and obtained an attorney. 
      The attorney took over and ebenefits is showing the privacy act starting on October 4th and my claim is now in the evidence gathering/decision making process. Estimated end date of April 2020, the attorney says 3 years, but I know there are new systems in place to make things move a little quicker.
      I am looking for any information that you all would have about what is actually happening. I don't know if this is a NOD or what. My case manager acts like I am a major pain and won't give me any info and I fear she has no idea what she is actually doing. =(
      I assume it is not an actual appeal yet, because my case manager said they would have to wait for my c-file before they would appeal on the next denial from the VA.  
      I am so confused, If any of you experts could find the time to help me I would greatly appreciate it. I have always dealt with the VA on my own with no previous denials, but never fully understood what I was doing. I thought hiring an attorney would change this, but I still feel just as blind as before.
    • By Pastor Kodiak
      Yesterday, I received the Judgment from the Administrative Law Judge that handled my appeal. I am using a VA-trained/approved attorney and the judge found in our favor. After 40 years of fighting with the VA. I filed my original claim the second day after my discharge. It was denied over and over again for all these years.
      I think what made a difference this time was the attorney pointing out that my VA psychologist that I'd been seeing for years, had diagnosed me and then the VA sent me to a specific non-VA psychologist for my C&P and she diagnosed me the exact same way and advised that I should receive a 100% rating for my PTSD. 
      They denied the claim (again) and when I got the decision letter explaining all the evidence they used to make their decision, they didn't include the report from my shrink or the C&P shrink. 
      So, now that service-connection is founded and they've already determined my rating (from the C&P already done), do I too have to go back to sleep for months and months? Sadly, my attorney is on vacation (of all the times to go on vacation...) and his paralegal doesn't feel comfortable telling me what to expect next...
    • By pyrotaz
      I met with a VSO on Feb 8th 2019 and started my MST/PTSD claim. To be totally honest I am scared to death. The incidents happened during my Navy duty 88-89. I had hid it from everyone including my wife until this past December. I had went to a VSO  to talk about other claims when it slipped out and I was offered help to form a claim.  We filed an intent to claim in Dec 2018. She suggested I talk with my wife and make an appointment with my doctor. After sitting and having a very emotional talk with my wife and with her support I made an appointment with my personal doctor. I am very lucky to have a great doctor who sat with me and after many tears I was able to explain in detail what had happened. He diagnosed me with extreme anxiety mostly when dealing with other Males ( Authority Figures or when confronted), and PTSD/MST and prescribed an anxiety as needed.
      What we submitted:
      A two page statement from me ( Timeline form) A statement from my wife A statement from from my 20 yr old son detailing my issues with examples of my issues with male authority figures  A Nexus statement from my Doctor saying he feels that my anxiety and PTSD is definitely caused by what happened while I served. The VSO said that it was the best written Nexus statement she has ever seen  in her 10 years in doing Veteran claims.  My Questions:
      After submitting a claim to the VSO how long before it shows up on ebenefits? Mine still shows as intent to file. The VSO says it has been submitted. What can I expect at my C & P exam? How can I prepare myself for the exam? This is what I dread/fear most.   Is it ok if I post my journey? I also want to thank all the men and women who have submitted to the MST forum.  I now know I am not alone. Being a male and reading that similar things has happened to other males and reading their journeys  has prepared me to start my journey and start the healing process.
    • By pyrotaz
      Looking for some guidance. I served on active duty in the Navy from 87-90 overseas on a ship. My original plans when I enrolled was to do 20 years,  Back in Dec of 2018 I met with and amazing Veterans Service Officer about a tinnitus claim which was approved. While there she had handed me a bunch papers about claims and one was on PTSD and MST. She was copying  and I was reading the PTSD-MST document and it triggered a bunch of emotions where I started shacking and tearing up. The VSO walked in and noticed my state and asked me if I was ok. I tried to answer her but, couldn't she went and got a male VSO and a male nurse to come in. Once the nurse helped calmed me down the male VSO noticed the document I was reading and we talked for awhile about it and I briefly explained a little. He recommend  that I file a DBA for PTSD-MST and recommended the following.
      I document everything I can remember about the events is causing my stressors: I wrote an eight page document in details about the events. Talk to my wife about what happened and have her write a document on what she sees and how it effects our relationship: After having an very hard emotional talk with her, she wrote a two page document. My 20 year old son also wrote a two page document on things he as seen, even though he only knows a little about what happened. Talk to my doctor about what happened: Made an appointment and discussed detail what happened and he diagnosed me with severe PTSD and anxiety placed on Xanax as needed. He wrote a Nexus letter and has sent it into the VA for me Now I explain a little about what when on when arriving on ship I was assigned to a steam generator room and assigned watch with two other sailors one was a 2nd Class Petty officer and the other a 3rd class.  At the time we were doing 12 hour watches 12 on 12 off.  The first few watches went well. We were getting ready to pull into Subic Bay Philippines for a few days before heading back to Japan. They both stated " We want you to come out and drink with us and then we can tag team a few girls". Now a little history alcoholism runs in my family and I don'y shy away from drinking I just know my limits. When we arrived in port I hung out with a few of my buddies instead. When we headed back to sea things went down hill. On my first watch back with them they yelled to me to come to the watch booth which was big enough for 2 chairs and a small table/chair between them the whole booth was maybe 4 feet by 6 feet with a center door and windows. When I went in I noticed they both had towels over their laps which wasn't unusual do to it being over 100 degrees in there.   I was told to sit down and did then one of them stated we figured out why you didn't go out with use you must be gay and not like girls. I didn't get a chance to answer when they ripped the towels off and exposed  themselves to me. I tried to leave but they held the door laughing. I was finally let out and was very shaken up. This happened many time the next few day the both continually exposed themselves to me. I would ask them to stop and would be ignored.  I went to my Chief Petty officer and told him what was going and and got this remark back " Why you trying to get them in trouble they are just playing with you". I went to back to my watch and was cornered by them and verbally threatened to keep my mouth shut. With out going in two many details things escalated to the point where I wold come done to watch and they would be masturbating in the open I'd try to move away and they would chase me around. One time I was working in the bilge( bottom area of ship lots of stinky water and valves) under the floor of our work space  crawling around attempting to fix a valve when I felt what I thought was water coming down on me upon looking up realized they were urinating on me. A lot more worse things happened. I was very depressed and felt helpless. I tho ought about suicide many time and even cut my wrist once when things were at its worst. Got scared and told everyone I fell and sliced it still have the scar.  Other than my failed attempt to tell my Chief about it I never told a soul about it. I ask myself why didn't I fight back? Lets put it this way at the time I weighed about 125 lbs soaking wet and about 5'7". They both were about 170-180 and were both over 6 feet. I was working in a space alone with them at anytime they could injury me say I got hurt working it was my word against the 2 of them.  Why has it taking so long for me to open up about this? I always thought that Sexual trauma only happened to woman. I was scared and embarrassed to admit he happened to me. How has this affected me.
      I have nightmares weekly. I have flashbacks. Something will trigger memories and I'll have panic attacks. I have intimacy issues.  I have ED issues that started at an early age. I have issues in places where there may be Male Public Nudity ( Locker rooms, even public restrooms  I'll use a stall ) Just because it triggers flashback of them and what they did. I have issues with Male authority figures. I have the tendency to back down from and conflicts even though and right. Fear retaliation  And the big one still fear retaliation from them. Still fear after almost 30 years that exposing them and what happened they will find away to get me.     Thank you to everyone who reads this. Now my questions:   Is there anything else I should include to help my case? I'm aware that after my meeting with the VSO they will set me up with a DBA with someone from the VA. What can I expect from that meeting and how should I prepare for it? What about secondary PTSD symptoms what applies? After meeting with my personal doctor he actually interned  at the VA center I going to. He suggested  apply for ratings secondary to the PTSD rating for the following. Erectile dysfunction, hypertension. Do you feel that these are ok? Are there others that I should consider or be aware of?    
    • By PTSD78
      Does the Veteran have a diagnosis of PTSD DSM-5 criteria on today's eval?
       [X] Yes [ ] No
       2. Current Diagnoses,1PTSD 2Panic Disorder 3Agorophobia 4Major Depressive Disorder
       b. Medical diagnoses relevant. obstructive sleep apnea, fibromyalgia, hypothyroidism.
      3. Differential
       a. Does the Veteran have more than one mental disorder diagnosed?
       [X] Yes [ ] No
       4. Occupational and social impairment
       [X] Occupational and social impairment with reduced reliability and productivity
       b. For the indicated occupational and social impairment, is it possible to
       differentiate which impairment is caused by each mental disorder?
       [ ] Yes [X] No [ ] Not Applicable (N/A)
       Vet has multiple co-morbid psych dx and therefore cannot differentiate level of impairment due to each mental disorder due to overlap in symptoms.
      Does stressor meet Criterion diagnosis of PTSD)?
       [X] Yes [ ] No
       Is the stressor related to the Veteran's fear of hostile military terrorist activity?
       [X] Yes [ ] No
       Is the stressor related to personal assault, e.g. military sexual trauma?
       [X] Yes [ ] No
       Criterion A: Exposure to
        [X] Directly experiencing the traumatic event(s)
       Criterion B: Presence of
        [X] Recurrent, involuntary, and intrusive distressing memories of the traumatic event(s).
       [X] Recurrent distressing dreams
      [X] Dissociative reactions
      [X] Intense or prolonged psychological distress at exposure to internal or external cues that symbolize or resemble an aspect of the traumatic
       [X] Marked physiological reactions to internal or externalcues that symbolize or resemble an aspect of the traumatic
      Criterion 😄 Persistent avoidance of
       [X] Avoidance of or efforts to avoid distressing memories, thoughts, or feelings about or closely associated
       traumatic event(s).
       [X] Avoidance of or efforts to avoid external reminders (people, places, conversations, activities, objects,
      Criterion 😧 Negative alterations
       [X] Persistent and exaggerated negative beliefs or expectations about oneself, others
       [X] Persistent, distorted cognitions about the cause or consequences of the traumatic event that lead the
       individual to blameherself others.
       [X] Persistent negative emotional state
       [X] Markedly diminished interest or participation in significant activities.
       [X] FeelingsofdetachmentEstrangement
       [X] Persistent inability positive emotions
       Criterion E: Marked alterations  arousal
       [X] Irritable behavior angry outbursts
       [X] Hypervigilance.
       [X] Exaggerated startle response.
       [X] Problems with concentration.
       [X] Sleep disturbance
       Criterion F:
       [X] Duration disturbis more than month.
      Criterion G:
       [X] The disturbance causes clinically significant distress or impairment in social, occupational, or other important
      Criterion H:
       [X] The disturbance is not attributable to the physiologicaleffects of a substance
      Criterion I: Which stressor contributed to the Veteran's PTSD diagnosis?:
       X] Stressor #1
       5. Symptoms
       [X] Depressed mood
       [X] Anxiety
       [X] Suspiciousness
       [X] Panic attacks more than once aweek
       [X] Chronic sleep impairment
       [X] Mild memory loss, such as forgetting names, directions or recentevents
       [X] Flattened affect
       [X] Impaired judgment
       [X] Disturbances of motivation a
       [X] Difficulty in establishing and maintaining effective work and social
       [X] Difficulty in adapting to stressful circumstances,including worklike setting
       [X] Obsessional ritualsInterfereActivities
       [X] Neglect personalAppearance hygiene
       DSM 5 Diagnosis:PTSD-Panic d/o with agoraphobia-Generalized Anxiety D/o
      Vet meets the DSM-5 diagnostic criteria for PTSD as level of severity - severe. Relationship of mental disorders to each other Vet's MDD, recurrent,moderate is secondary to her PTSD.HerPanicDisorder, Agorophobia and FSAD are also secondary to her PTSD. It is my medical opinion that vet's MST stressor is as least as likely as not suppported by and consistent with the in service marker evidence. Her agorophobia preclude her from functioning satisfactorily in work environments.

• Ads

• Our picks

• Need your support - T-shirts Available - Please buy a mug or a membership
      if you have been thinking about subscribing to an ad-free forum or buying a mug now would a very helpful time to do that.

Thank you for your support
      • 16 replies
    • OK everyone thanks for all the advice I need your help I called VSO complained about length of time on Wednesday of this week today I checked my E benefits and my ratings are in for my ankles that they were denying me 10% for each bilateral which makes 21% I was originally 80% now they’re still saying I’m 80% 

I’m 50% pes planus 30% migraine headaches 20% lumbar 10% tinnitus and now bilateral 21% so 10% left and right ankle Can someone else please do the math because I come up with 86% which makes me 90 what am I missing please help and thank you
    • I was denied SC for IBS and GERD IN 2011. In 2019 I was awarded SC for GERD. This CUE  is for 2011, both GERD and IBS. There are some odd aspects regarding the 2011 decision, the way it was written and the C&P report and the way it was written. I've tried to present this as clearly as I can. Note: the decision contradicts itself. the decision also contradicts the C&P Report. Honestly, I think the rater just got confused because the C&P was so poorly written. *THIS CUE HAS NOT YET BEEN SUBMITTED*Please let me know what you think. Appreciate all comments and suggestions. Thanks.

VA RATING DECISION MARCH 23 2011 GERD IBS.pdf C P REPORT 7312010 GERD IBS.pdf GERD IBS CUE 2011(1).pdf

C P ADDENDUM REQUEST RE DIAGNOSIS 7232010.pdf
      • 56 replies
    • 14 Questions about VA Disability Compensation Benefits Claims
      When a Veteran starts considering whether or not to file a Veterans Affairs Disability Claim, there are a lot of questions that he or she tends to ask. Over the last 10 years, the following are the 14 most common basic questions I am asked about when it comes to filing Veterans Affairs Disability Claims. [Reprinted here with permission from Veterans Law Blog]
      • 0 replies
    • Disabled Veterans Property Tax Exemptions by State
      Alabama 
      A disabled veteran in Alabama may receive a full property tax exemption on his/her primary residence if the veteran is 100 percent disabled as a result of service and has a net annual income of $12,000 or less.
      • 0 replies
  • Ads

• Popular Contributors

• Ad

• Latest News

Important Information

{terms] and Guidelines