VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Hypertension C&p

Rate this question

mooose

Question

All,

I submitted my documentation to the VA for a rating connected to blood pressure.

Background: I was originally awarded 10% for a back injury when I got back from deployment, in the VA's award letter they mentioned I may have hypertension and to submit a claim if I was suffering from high BP.

I found several instances in my progress notes where my bp was noted above 100 (systolic) and I ended up recording my BP for over a month. Before I was even scheduled the C&P exam my VA primary care doc put my on BP Meds. In my submission to the VA I included all the progress notes with highlight BPs, my month of BP readings that where mostly over 100 (systolic), and the paperwork to show the VA primary doc put my on the BP meds.

With all this said, I am scared that I will not be connected because the meds are keeping the my BP down and that the C&P will not work out in my favor. If they check my BP now it is normal most of the time.

Any thoughts on how the C&P will go or anything I should tell the C&P examiner?

Thanks!

• Answers 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

5 answers to this question

very good question. I to have HYPERTENSION that my VA Dr. has put me on HBP med. I don't think there is any thing in my Medical records that my show it occur while in Vietnam. Matter of fact, I don't think I raised my hand and asked to go on sick call while in the jungle. I do know it is called the silent killer. So do I expect a rating on it,,NO that would be easy for them to rate no. Good luck

First, I trust you mean diastolic rather than systolic ... a systolic reading "above 100" is pretty much normal.

Any thoughts on how the C&P will go It will go well. FWIW, the C&P examiner doesn't make the decision whether you have a service connected condition or not - the Ratings Veteran Service Representative (RVSR) does. If your original RVSR took the time to direct that the VA solicit a claim for HTN, I'd say it likely is a slam dunk. You don't solicit a claim unless there's more than a fair chance that you can grant it.

or anything I should tell the C&P examiner? How about the unembellished facts?

Once the RVSR gets your package that includes the SMRs showing elevated BPs, the VA records showing a diagnosis of HTN and the medication prescribed, and the results of the C&PE, it will go well. (I'm presuming that you are still within one year of your release from Active Duty and that the dx of HTN has been made within this time as well.

It isn't necessary to send in the VA records showing the diagnosis and the tx- just let your RO know where and when and the VARO can download them electronically.

All,

I submitted my documentation to the VA for a rating connected to blood pressure.

Background: I was originally awarded 10% for a back injury when I got back from deployment, in the VA's award letter they mentioned I may have hypertension and to submit a claim if I was suffering from high BP.

I found several instances in my progress notes where my bp was noted above 100 (systolic) and I ended up recording my BP for over a month. Before I was even scheduled the C&P exam my VA primary care doc put my on BP Meds. In my submission to the VA I included all the progress notes with highlight BPs, my month of BP readings that where mostly over 100 (systolic), and the paperwork to show the VA primary doc put my on the BP meds.

With all this said, I am scared that I will not be connected because the meds are keeping the my BP down and that the C&P will not work out in my favor. If they check my BP now it is normal most of the time.

Any thoughts on how the C&P will go or anything I should tell the C&P examiner?

Thanks!

Edited by jvretiredvet

• HadIt.com Elder

I take meds for HBP and I still got rated at 10% for hypertension with the meds I am in the 90/70 range due to end stage heart failure the doctors are intentionally keeping it low

• HadIt.com Elder

My experience with a sort of recent C&P that included HBP.

My private PCP stated in writing that his opinion was that SC'd DMII was contributing to the HPB (At the time IHD was not presumptive, only DMII.)

The VA C&P examiner (a NP) stated that it was "essential".

My cardiologist flatly stated in writing, based upon twenty years of medical records, and treatment, that the HBP was directly related to my heart problems, which are now A/O presumptive SC'd.

(And the cardiologist teaches and signs off on the area cardiologist's "refresher training" required by the state to stay in practice.)

The Nehmer review board threw out the C&P examiners unfavorable opinions when they disagreed with

the treating physician's opinions, which were based upon medical history as well as long standing treatment by the physicians.

Pain from a back injury can also cause elevated BP.

Edited by Chuck75