VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 
Read Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Anyone Here Actually Rated More Than 0% For Hearing Loss?

Rate this question

ktm rider

Question

My wife was sick and tired of repeating herself so she insisted I go to the VA. It was no secret that my hearing was bad. Failed tests at work every year. I worked on the flight deck of a carrier from 88'.-92'. SO I went.

I did some research online and it seems that a vet rated higher then 0% for hearing loss is as rare as hens teeth.

I was actually denied for my hearing even though I show hearing loss within the VA criteria. It seems that My exit hearing test in 1992 showed no hearing loss..... I don't recall taking an exit test.

Has anyone here actually been successful in claiming hearing loss and got a rating higher than 0%?

• Answers 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

I am 100% P&T. A large part of that is my 70% rating for HL. I also have the 10% tinnitus and 10% otitis externa ratings.

• HadIt.com Elder

For vets who were in Arty I don't see how they escape hearing loss even if they wore protection. Even being close to 155 howitzers is intense. You get an entire body blow from concussion of those things. I can imagine busting a blood vessel in your head from firing those guns. I was at small airbase/fire support base and the sounds and vibration from big guns was murder on sleep.

John

I wanted to give an update.

Earlier in this thread I was 33 years old back in 2013 and had 30% hearing loss and 10% tinnitus for a total of 40%.

In 2014 I was increased by the VA to 50% hearing loss and 10% tinnitus for a total of 60% soley due to my ears.  (Another 30% for my wrist and shoulders put me at a total combined rating of 70%)

In 2017 at my current age of 37 I was awarded social security disibility (ssdi) due to my hearing loss.

Ssdi pays me quite a bit more than the 70% I get from the VA.  It is very worth trying for this benifit.

DO NOT GIVE UP!!!!!!  I STARTED WITH A 0% HEARING LOSS RATING BACK IN 2004 AT 24 YEARS OLD.  

YOUR HEARING WILL GET WORSE AS THE YEARS GO BY.  STAY ON TOP OF YOUR YEARLY MARYLAND CNC HEARING TEST FROM A PRIVATE AUDIOLOGIST.

It all comes down to your VA Hearing C & P Recorded Word recognition Exam results. If you're 90+% for word recognition (even guessing the word) you're screwed, SC 0% SC for Hearing Loss.

Find another fight,VA computer Hearing results can't be beat based on just your feelings about your level of Hearing Loss.

My HL test average was 64/65 and word recognition was 84 both ears and that's 0% anyway you cut it......and if you were addressing me Gastone , I know the HL exam, especially the WR cannot be beat.....that's a given, and I have no feelings to speak of.