Ask Your VA Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 
Read VA Disability Claims Articles
Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• tbirds-va-claims-struggle (1).png

• 01-2024-stay-online-donate-banner.png

Sorry, Very Personal To Me

Rate this topic

Thanks for all the information you all have responded. Justriuk, I saw the head of the V.A. pharmacy Dr. And she said that there was no conflict with all my meds, including some that I did not mention here, plus if that is the level I need, well that

is it. Kimmig, Thanks for sharing that poem, sorry to hear about your husband our brother, SFC Ricky W. Green. your poem is an aye opener. rpowell01, that my Gabapentin dose is 1800mg per day, and I do have various narrowing in my

spine, specially in my cervical 4,5,and 6. I do have a planner, on for day and night, thanks. John. I stop drinking about four to five years ago, yes I know that this path is not so good for my health. I really respect does meds

I have cut down on some pain made and even on some psychotropic drugs including the sleeping pills, the drawback is I have more pain at times, and I wake up around three am. While i go to bed around eleven pm. But brothers and sisters in

arms, I just came down with peptic stomach cancer, just found out about two weeks ago. I can't help but think about all the meds I have taken in the last five or so years, I have had stomach problems while I was a young E-3 E-4 until been

treated at VA. for upper G.I.

OK. which all this mess that is going on with me My God as seen me through, just as all other times. Sorry it took so long to respond.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Lead Moderator

IN this case, you should listen to your MD.

Common sense says that 14 meds, mostly for pain, is not a real good treatment for depression. You should see another pharmacist. While it may treat the pharmicist/docs pocketbook, on kickbacks from the drug companines, it does not do the Vet much good.

I had an uncle, now deceased, on dozens of meds from the VA. The question that needs asking:

Was that many meds because the person was dying and the VA is keeping him comfortable, or is the VA killing him with that many meds?

I dont see depression as a terminal illness. If you had terminal cancer, I could see all the pain meds for pallative care.

You need to get help to get weaned off most of those pain meds.

• HadIt.com Elder

Medication therapy is main course relied on by VA. Like you I also take to many meds but also like you can't stop taking as all are needed. The VA does not like to do it but there are effective ways to cut down on pain meds.

Veterans deserve real choice for their health care.

Thanks to all, Carlie, tomorrow evening I will know the deal on the treatment for the stomach cancer, broncovet, I have many meds, I

Take, depression, and anxiety are three, and pain is four, the others are regiments for blood pressure, cholesterol, and diabetes. As we

Know those Meds also causes secondary symptoms, like constipation. V.A. Treats me for some, and civilian Dr's for others. I know

That many chemicals are not good for a natural body, mines been unnatural from birth, put some age on it, and we live something like

Me. Agree that profit sharing come at the cost of a lot of us. Pete, as you know we try to cut down on scrips, if not on dosages, brother I

Will like nothing better than cut down, and I know I will were possible. I remember when I could not walk, now I do with some pain, it has

Been a long road.

• HadIt.com Elder

As a veteran that takes more than a few prescription drugs I'd say --

One and only one doctor should be prescribing the drugs for management purposes.

Most of the medication I take is related to an SC'd heart condition, so my non VA cardiologist

provides the management.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Tell a friend

Love HadIt.com’s VA Disability Community Vets helping Vets since 1997? Tell a friend!
  • Recent Achievements

• spazbototto earned a badge
      Week One Done
    • Paul Gretza earned a badge
      Week One Done
    • Troy Spurlock went up a rank
      Community Regular
    • KMac1181 earned a badge
      Week One Done
    • jERRYMCK earned a badge
      Week One Done
  • Our picks

• These decisions have made a big impact on how VA disability claims are handled, giving veterans more chances to get benefits and clearing up important issues.

Service Connection

Frost v. Shulkin (2017)
      This case established that for secondary service connection claims, the primary service-connected disability does not need to be service-connected or diagnosed at the time the secondary condition is incurred 1. This allows veterans to potentially receive secondary service connection for conditions that developed before their primary condition was officially service-connected. 

Saunders v. Wilkie (2018)
      The Federal Circuit ruled that pain alone, without an accompanying diagnosed condition, can constitute a disability for VA compensation purposes if it results in functional impairment 1. This overturned previous precedent that required an underlying pathology for pain to be considered a disability.

Effective Dates

Martinez v. McDonough (2023)
      This case dealt with the denial of an earlier effective date for a total disability rating based on individual unemployability (TDIU) 2. It addressed issues around the validity of appeal withdrawals and the consideration of cognitive impairment in such decisions.

Rating Issues

Continue Reading on HadIt.com
      • 0 replies
    • I met with a VSO today at my VA Hospital who was very knowledgeable and very helpful.  We decided I should submit a few new claims which we did.  He told me that he didn't need copies of my military records that showed my sick call notations related to any of the claims.  He said that the VA now has entire military medical record on file and would find the record(s) in their own file.  It seemed odd to me as my service dates back to  1981 and spans 34 years through my retirement in 2015.  It sure seemed to make more sense for me to give him copies of my military medical record pages that document the injuries as I'd already had them with me.  He didn't want my copies.  Anyone have any information on this.  Much thanks in advance.  
      • 4 replies
    • Caluza Triangle defines what is necessary for service connection
      Caluza Triangle – Caluza vs Brown defined what is necessary for service connection. See COVA– CALUZA V. BROWN–TOTAL RECALL

This has to be MEDICALLY Documented in your records:

Current Diagnosis.   (No diagnosis, no Service Connection.)

In-Service Event or Aggravation.
      Nexus (link- cause and effect- connection) or Doctor’s Statement close to: “The Veteran’s (current diagnosis) is at least as likely due to x Event in military service”
      • 0 replies
    • Do the sct codes help or hurt my disability rating 
    • VA has gotten away with (mis) interpreting their  ambigious, , vague regulations, then enforcing them willy nilly never in Veterans favor.  

They justify all this to congress by calling themselves a "pro claimant Veteran friendly organization" who grants the benefit of the doubt to Veterans.  

This is not true, 

Proof:  

About 80-90 percent of Veterans are initially denied by VA, pushing us into a massive backlog of appeals, or worse, sending impoverished Veterans "to the homeless streets" because  when they cant work, they can not keep their home.  I was one of those Veterans who they denied for a bogus reason:  "Its been too long since military service".  This is bogus because its not one of the criteria for service connection, but simply made up by VA.  And, I was a homeless Vet, albeit a short time,  mostly due to the kindness of strangers and friends. 

Hadit would not be necessary if, indeed, VA gave Veterans the benefit of the doubt, and processed our claims efficiently and paid us promptly.  The VA is broken. 

A huge percentage (nearly 100 percent) of Veterans who do get 100 percent, do so only after lengthy appeals.  I have answered questions for thousands of Veterans, and can only name ONE person who got their benefits correct on the first Regional Office decision.  All of the rest of us pretty much had lengthy frustrating appeals, mostly having to appeal multiple multiple times like I did. 

I wish I know how VA gets away with lying to congress about how "VA is a claimant friendly system, where the Veteran is given the benefit of the doubt".   Then how come so many Veterans are homeless, and how come 22 Veterans take their life each day?  Va likes to blame the Veterans, not their system.   

Important Information

Guidelines and Terms of Use