Read VA Disability Claims Articles
Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• tbirds-va-claims-struggle (1).png

• 01-2024-stay-online-donate-banner.png

Hypertension (high Blood Pressure) Va Ratings

Rate this question

USMC_HVEQ

Question

I took the liberty to put up the VA ratings for HTN (Hypertension aka High Blood Pressure). This might help some people with questions. I think if you take all your readings from the past and present and put into a spreadsheet with dates and places then take an average of all the readings. If it falls into these categories, then that can help substantiate your claim, but this is just my opinion, so don't go crazy if your case is different.

7101 Hypertensive vascular disease (hypertension and isolated systolic

hypertension):

Diastolic pressure predominantly 130 or more............................................................. 60

Diastolic pressure predominantly 120 or more............................................................. 40

Diastolic pressure predominantly 110 or more, or; systolic pressure

predominantly 200 or more............................................................................

....... 20

Diastolic pressure predominantly 100 or more, or; systolic pressure

predominantly 160 or more, or; minimum evaluation for an

individual with a history of diastolic pressure predominantly 100

or more who requires continuous medication for control......................................... 10

Note 1: Hypertension or isolated systolic hypertension must be confirmed by readings taken two or more times on at least three different days. For purposes of this section, the term hypertension means that the diastolic blood pressure is predominantly 90mm. or greater, and isolated systolic hypertension means that the systolic blood pressure is predominantly 160mm. or greater with a diastolic blood pressure of less than 90mm.

Note 2: Evaluate hypertension due to aortic insufficiency or hyperthyroidism, which is usually the isolated systolic type, as part of the condition causing it rather than by a separate evaluation.

Note 3: Evaluate hypertension separately from hypertensive heart disease and other types of heart disease.

Semper Fidelis

I dont think they ever will John.But you never know so best to file.

Hypertension is the most common form of stroke and can be secondary to hypertensive heart disease.

VA loves to say in med recs, ' the veteran's HBP is " essential" meaning no known cause.( VA BS, it always has a cause)

But a strong IMO can SC it to AO IHD as secondary with evidence of hypertensive heart disease and even the med recs themselves might support the HBP to IHD without an IMO.

I was checking something I posted here--- 1151 HBP, under CUE

They denied on March 4, 2015, I CUed them and they awarded on April 2, 2015  stating they re-opened a previous claim on March 27,2015,but it was my March 27, 2015 CUE claim via IRIS and email to the Director (they only listed that email as evidence) that prompted the award and VA even  referenced the reg I cued them on, 38 CFR 4.6.

My husband had AO IHD awarded in 2012 (Nehmer) but I realized when I read this HBP award yesterday that they stated the veteran had "hypertensive vascular disease." VA had never stated that before.

I guess maybe all ischemic heart disease is in fact hypertensive heart disease....our cardio Guru here,  John Basser would know.(jbasser)

This was a 1151 medical error HBP award that was part of my FTCA case and then part of the 1998 decision I cued.It was the fourth or 5th CUE in that decision.

My long point to you is that with some medical excerpts from a good medical site that show IHD causes Hypertensive vascular disease ,and specifically HBP, you may not even need an IMO at all.And the term 'hypertensive heart disease' might even be stated in your med recs. 

I would sure file the claim.

GRADUATE ! Nov 2nd 2007 American Military University !

When thousands of Americans faced annihilation in the 1800s Chief

Osceola's response to his people, the Seminoles, was

simply "They(the US Army)have guns, but so do we."

Sameo to us -They (VA) have 38 CFR ,38 USC, and M21-1- but so do we.

My best advise to anyone who is service connected for hypertension, is to immediately start a claim for heart disease secondary to hypertension.

The VA will not make to association on there own.  Trust me, I know.

I just claimed and won heart disease (LVH) 30% (2016) secondary to hypertension 0% (2008).  They VA had the evidence at the time, but I was too specific when making the claim.  From now on all my claims will be scatter shot.  Let them consider all that is related.

Even though I think they should have done the "connect the dots" when I made the claim for hypertension, they didn't.  

"duty to assist" is really "duty to resist" when it comes to the VA.

Bottom line is hypertension causes heart disease.

Just sayin,

Hamslice

“There is no hook my friend. There's only what we do.”  Doc Holiday 

• HadIt.com Elder

I am already 60% for CAD secondary to DMII.  I have NSC sleep apnea and HBP.  I feel doomed and all I am concerned about is making sure my spouse gets DIC and there is no way in the world for VA to slip out of that obligation.  I am already P&T for 15 years so I know she can get DIC, but she is woefully ignorant of VA tactics and rules.  I want there to be no doubt that AO killed me.  If I don't die from the OSA the other AO things will get me.  Maybe I should study up on how to get the OSA service connected because I don't think I will wake up one morning.  The high blood/DM11/heart disease combo is not helping me to live to be 90 years old.  If you combine OSA, HBP and all my service connected issues I am dead man walking and I want the *&^^% VA to pay for it.

John

• HadIt.com Elder

Can I file for hypertension as a secondary to my heart disease ? I am  a little confused on this matter.

Yes since hypertension causes heart disease & or related to it.

File on it today!

Edited by Buck52

I am not an Attorney or VSO, any advice I provide is not to be construed as legal advice, therefore not to be held out for liable BUCK!!!

John999, why is your CAD secondary to DMII? CAD is the same as IHD and IHD is a presumptive of AO.

IHD 30%SC

DMII/ED 20%SC SMC for ED

Tinnitis 10%SC

Hemorroids0%SC

Bilateral Hearing Loss0%SC